Transformers vs GIJOE number 1

yojoe.com

Transformers vs GIJOE number 1

***possible spoilers in thread****

I try to remain objective, I try to remain constructive.
    I am now scratching my head after reading Transformers vs GIJOE number 1.
    Tom, if you are reading this, I like you, I banter with you on twitter and have a good time.
    I respect that you were able to land such a great job with IDW.
    I must put all that aside when I try to read Transformers GIJOE.

First of all, the page by page breakdown really helps to get into what you are thinking and trying to convey.
    I liken this to myself entering into a world I do not understand or have had little contact with like TMNT or Power Rangers.
    I get the main point of the mythos, but really do not understand it. I have not lived it from day one.
    I could not and should not try to write a turtles story.

Speaking of the story, Tom and John have taken two universes and smashed them together. Two universes that some say
    should not cross and that other get giddy just thinking about the possibilities.

They take familiar concepts that we know as Joefans and place their own takes on them into the book.
    General Flagg, Snake Eyes, Duke, Scarlett, are all twists and interpretations. A mix of cartoon and comic mythos from both universes.

There are some weird photoshop? art choices going on here. Snake Eyes tattoo on page one. You can see shading of SE's arm through it. Clearly pasted on and the opacity changed. The pages are all smeared. Very strange. Like pencil smudges in the word balloons. Word balloons cover each other. Explosions cover words in the word balloons. If this is a Steranko or Kirby trait, then I see the homage but it is annoying. To me it says that what the character is stating is not important enough to not be covered up so why should I bother reading it at all?

Serpentress. Gender bending or is that just the Baroness with a huge headress? Because that is what she looks like to me. Baroness post plane crash? The real leader of Cobra? transparent Tom, too transparent. Now watch me be proven wrong in my hypothesis.

It is hard to say that in a universe with Space Shuttles and Mega Marines and Silver Havocs, that another interpretation of that universe with a Coltonbolt is any more fantastical.
    Grizzly Addams Colton.
    Clear influence on the storyline from MARS attacks. ( there you go Tom, I used a pop culture reference )

Scioli keeps going on about Steranko and Kirby. It is nice to have influences, I have my own. However I do not try to copy everything they do or look for their possible influence in other's works.
    I just saw a crazy video from a conspiracist that shows that if you look hard enough you will see what you are trying to find. Triangles are everywhere, not all triangles are hidden or planted symbols... just like certain ways of drawing or laying out a comic are not always influenced by other artists, nor should they be. Be original and paint your own canvas.

There really is not a whole lot of story going on here.
    Snake Eyes is acting like a traitor. Shades of the cartoon episode "the traitor"
    Scarlett is acting weird.
    General Flagg and General Austin appear.
    Flash serves a purpose and Lady Jaye is relegated to "VAMP" driver.
    the twins are introduced and just as quickly captured. They are on top of the Springfield water tower this time instead of a roller coaster and then the Tomahawk and several Joes surround the water tower.
    The Joes meet the decepticons, a battle ends and the decepticons retreat to a Cobra airship.

The book really seems to be more of an opportunity for Tom and John to cram in as many characters as possible despite their really being no reason. Something writers on movies shy away from because they try to not just add characters for the reason of just because they want to see that character.

It is a strange interpretation and I imagine it appeals to some.
    I however don't see this as a book worth more repeat viewings. I will have to as a matter of of course to write the summary for the archive but sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to do. It builds character. So I am told.
    Last edited by skinny; 07-23-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: proofreading

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have to disagree with Skinny. I personally really like it so far.
    I think the comic's main attempt is an homage to the way comics were done in the '60s, but has added 2 different 80's properties and achieved a surprisingly fun, simple read for the 2000-teens. The authors said that they were striving for this at the back of the book, and I believe that they have remained true to the focus.
    Plainly, it's different than any other Joe or Transformers book. Good. It should be imho. It doesn't seem to take itself too serious at all. (Nobody in their right mind would be fighting on top of a water tower in a military setting.) Also good. This isn't supposed to be a hard-core, R-rated property.
    Further, since it's being treated as an old time kids' comic (complete with "aging affects" on the paper itself), I'm find it eclectic and refreshing. A neat little touch, if you will.
    Lasty, I enjoy the "Where's Waldo" aspect of many of the pages. It's very busy, there is usually a lot to look at per page, and a lot of Joes running willy-nilly. "Who's who?" is part of the joy (again: imho).
    Yep, this isn't Hama's "RAH" and it isn't Furman's "Transformers", but really, we already have that. I say sit back and enjoy the ride. You might get bit by the bug, too...