I HATE Wraith....

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I HATE Wraith....

He looks the part, I admit! An action figure of him would be very welcome and even the sci-fi concept makes sense given developments in military research today.

So why do I hate him? I'm not too sure to be honest. I think it's because he's too powerful, and therefore may become a "deus ex machina" to rescue Cobra Command personel everytime they're in trouble. On top of that, he's helping to turn DESTRO into a bit of a bully; a trait I can't really accept from such a noble character. His confrontation with TOMAX & XAMOT in #34 left a bitter taste in my mouth.
    I like what Brandon Jerwa is doing with the storyline otherwise, although I really want COBRA COMMANDER back in charge and the Cobra status quo back in place (Goodness sknows how he'll do it, though!). I honestly felt sorry for the Commander as he lay there bleeding, alone & ignored, while the JOE's tended to HAWK - It was such a sad image. I'm hoping CC was just a double sent out by the "real" commander, but I doubt it!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wraith is one of those characters that comes into the Joe world and changes some things and then disappears (most likely killed off). Perfect example is the soft master.

He will probably play a major role for the next few issues, and since he is Brandon created character will likely do some cool stuff. His costume is cool, and borders on the comic world/real world line very well.
    GI Joe comic fan since 1982.

Wraith-hate might be a little early, we still haven't seen everything that Brandon is going to do with him. Let's judge him after he's had a few issues to sink in.

On a side note, I hope he and Snake-Eyes have a great fight in #35 and not a "Snake-Eyes instant victory" kind. The masked ninja is a great Joe character, an icon, but he needs to lose or at least come close once in a while.

Anyway, my opinions.

Richard J.

P.S. A Wraith figure, with invisible mail-in counterpart, would be sweet.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wraith v. Snakes

I have no inside information, but I suspect Wraith will be around for a while (much beyond issue 35) as sort of a new foe for Snake-Eyes. The main line comic has been setting up "epic" battles between SE and Storm Shadow every ten issues or so, and perhaps the creators felt that particular storyline was becoming a bit played out, especially with all the similar action going on in Master & Apprentice. Again, I have no information, but it wouldn't surprise me if Snakes really takes a beating in issue 35, leading to a bigger confrontation 5 or 10 issues down the road.

To me this is a good thing. SE needs some baddies who can give him a run for his money beyond SS, and perhaps the fights with Wraith will emphasise his 'Commando' side and not his 'ninja' side.

Its always compelling to have 'good' bad guys in a comic; its makes things more interesting and creates more dramatic tension. What do you guys think?

hehe, wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be the Fred that took over as CC? Or maybe Billy!

Im ok with Wraith. i have a character in my joe-verse like him (played by the heavy water action fiigure). Remember your heros are only as good as their arch enemy. You need an unbeatable foe to beat up on. It worked for Hulk Hogan, and it works for my Joes

I'm OK with Wraith if he is a plausible enemy. I don't like enemies beating up on a tough hero just to prove that they are a threat.
    Check out my weekly webcomic: cy-boar updated every Thursday!

I hate him too

One word:

Predator
    "The scriveners and scribblers are not the keepers of the canon, the audience is. If the public doesn't like it, they blot it out of the collective consciousness, and make it go away"

Larry Hama, Snake Eyes Deconstructed (March, 2006)

Personal opinion:What the heck?

I don't like him because:
    1) He's too sci-fi-ish. I'm reading G.I.Joe not Iron-man.(Nothing against Tony Stark.) I do enjoy most of the G.I.Joe cartoons, guess it's just Wraith.
    2)There are already a so many characters we do see let a lone don't see. We don't need to making up our own. ( No offense to you custom buffs.)
    3)I want to like him, he screams cool; from his look to his persona and abilities but to me he just does'nt fit in. Like the ol' square peg and round hole saying.

mannnnn i wasn't sure what i was expecting from the snake eyes ,wraith fight
    BUT I SURE wasn't expecting snake eyes to get worked that bad when snakes was down and wraith was gonna kill him i half expected SS to show up or something I dunnnooooooo about this guy there is really no point in having an invincible character
    Last edited by Jeff Bohn; 11-04-2004 at 07:25 AM.