Question about Marvel issue timing

yojoe.com

Question about Marvel issue timing

Hello. I've been reading my old Marvel G.I. Joe comics, and I have a question regarding the timing of issue releases.

I noticed in issue #44 (Feb. 1986), that there was a Christmas letter from Jim Shooter, and also some Christmas ads. That seemed strange, and then yesterday, I read issue #50 (Aug. 1986) which had the preview of G.I. Joe Special Missions, and that issue ended by saying something like "Special Missions, a new bi-monthly comic coming in June!" And I thought, wow, this was the August issue. They're announcing this thing 10 months in advance. Then this morning I read issue #51 (Sept, 1986), and it ended with "Special Missions first issue in two weeks!", while in the letters to the editor section, it said "Special Missions coming June 12!"

What's going on here? Why the Christmas letter and ads in the February issue? And why advertise a June 12th Special Missions release as being 2 weeks away in the September issue?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All the Joe comics take place in Spring and Summer. Anything happening in Winter is left to the imagination. 'Nuff said.

Thanks, seaneley, but I don't understand. It was a monthly comic, right? Can you explain what you mean? Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I haven't bought a comic in decades but from what I remember the month printed on comics is the "sell-by" date, not the month its first distributed in. There was a three month window in which sellers (comic shops, newsstands, ect.) had to sell the comic by - so a comic printed in June would have an August month printed on it, because it was supposed to be on the shelves and available until August. After that it could be returned to the publisher, sold to a discount seller or put on sale (below the cover price) by the seller.
    Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on DailyMotion http://www.dailymotion.com/kevinlr1 on FRIDAYS!
    and on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/formbx257 on SATURDAYS!
    Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

To add to what formbx has said, this goes back to the days when comics were everywhere, drug stores, grocery stores, and more. There were not dedicated reps who came into stores and swapped out new for old every month. Comics stayed in those spinner racks for months. Most of the time when the new issue came in it was put in the same rack right in front of the old one. These were also the days of comics having a nice crease about 3 inches down from the top where they got bent when people thumbed through the racks. Comics were ,gasp, something you bought and threw away after reading or you could find them in a garage sale priced at ten for a dollar, covers ripped off or worse.

Wow, guys. Thank you! That makes so much sense! I've been looking at my comics all wrong! So it's a sell-by date, not the publication date. And I do remember the rack at my local drug store. Spinning that thing around and looking at the issues was such a great experience. Thanks for bringing that that old memory.

Thanks again.