Gijoe arah 213

yojoe.com

Thread: Gijoe arah 213

Gijoe arah 213

*****possible spoilers in thread*****

The issue that I have been salivating for to answer so many questions came out today.

I called it a long time ago when Snake Eyes gave Sean that Trench knife.
    So Throwdown has taken the mantle and look of Snake Eyes for his own. Maybe by accident, but there is a new Snake Eyes in town.
    What happens now? How will Sean react differently to things than the mystery man in black commando gear we have known since 1982?
    What kind of new path will Snake E...Throwdown, be set upon?

This was such a fast read.
    I was eager to read it and I was kind of hoping we would stretch this out for another issue.
    Everything was explained and wrapped up in a fairly tidy fashion. Almost too tidy.
    We did not see Serpentor die, also did not see Snake Eyes die.
    Did anyone else think that grenade had one heck of a long fuse timer??
    tossed by Duke, hit back, caught, and then the time it took for Snake Eyes to reach Serpentor. that was a long time in my book.

When Sean said that his helmet was getting to be really hot on re-entry, that was the final nail.
    I was a little put off by his picking up the mask and putting it on to cover his face.
    I know he did not know what happened and perhaps he was still in shock from having his face burned off. Still seems. disrespectful, not to mention painful. Last thing you would want to do for a burn is cover it in cloth and risk a nasty infection. Had to be in shock.

I think that the death, or should i say usurping, of Snake Eyes, had too much warning. I would have preferred the shock.
    Just like in Trucial Abysmia, we had no warning that Doc was going to get shot. We just had an ominous cover and I think maybe the previous issue's letters page?

Larry has had a bad habit lately of building up a huge story and then ending it very quickly in one issue wrapping up all the questions and subplots in a few panels. Sierra Gordo, The introduction of the Red Shadows, and now this.

I do have to say, for the first time in a long time i have anticipated each issue with fervor.

It was a story well woven. I am just disappointed that we don't actually get a break from Snake Eyes, we just get a new one. That is really kind of odd in a way.
    Next issue I hope we get to something more of reflections and remembrances, Scarlett, Stalker and Storm Shadow's reaction in particular should be interesting as should Cobra Commander, the Baroness and Destro.. There was always a sense of honor amongst Destro the Baroness and Snake Eyes.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What happened to Cobra Island? In the letter page Larry Hama says he doesn't think it's feasible to raise the island again when a fan asks for more stories set there. I know in the DDP run the island got nuked but I don't recall a similar cataclysm in ARAH continuity. What issue did it sink in?

I don't recall anything happening to the island either.
    Cobra moved to Broca Beach, then Rancho Corba Acres and now are in an undisclosed location.
    Was Cobra Island nuked in a declassified issue? if so then it is canon.
    Declassified, and the Storm Shadow run, are canon ARAH according to Larry's other letter.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cobra Island got nuked in GI Joe Vol. 2 issue #40 by writer Brandon Jerwa, so I don't think it's part of Larry Hama's canon.

Larry said in the letters page that basically anything he wrote was canon except for the Origin series. As far as Snake Eyes is concerned, I don't have 214 yet, (so please don't spoil it for me!), but I'm going to assume that Snake Eyes isn't dead until we see a body (even though a grenade would make his body pretty much hamburger if he was in that blast). Remember, the "next issue" picture has Serpentor on the cover, which tells me that Serpentor's probably still alive, which gives Snake Eyes a chance of being around still.

Also remember, in the DDP stories, we had Kamakura, who was Sean Collins. And Sean has the Arashikage tattoo on his arm. This could mean one of two things-that Sean's replacing Snake Eyes, (which would make Scarlett basically a widow(ish)), or that he's going to be Kamakura, and Snake Eyes may be a ghost who returns after nursing his wounds, or possibly he faked his death so he could take Serpentor down permanently-because if Serpy thinks Snake Eyes is dead, he won't expect him to stab him in the back. Remember, 213 was part 2. Aren't there supposed to be 4 or 5 parts to this arc?

At this point, anything is possible.

But my guess is that Classified (or Snake Eyes) the Arashikage Commando Ninja is dead and won't return.

Throwdown is the next generation of Arashikage Ninjas along with Raymond.

But since the death was in an explosion anything is possible for a return. But after #214 and that fact that Joes are human. I think Classified is dead and gone. And as long as Hama is writing he won't bring him back.

My major concern now is that if he kills Snake Eyes, who else could kill off. Fans have been asking for some deaths and we got the one character we thought was unkillable for GI Joe.

He probably won't go crazy but certainly everyone is vulnerable now.
    GI Joe comic fan since 1982.