Chuck's Reviews GI Joe 50th Anniversary Cobra Commander

yojoe.com

Chuck's Reviews GI Joe 50th Anniversary Cobra Commander

It's Cobra Commander! Now in Black and Red! This is a straight repaint of the Retaliation Ultimate version right down to the hernia check hand. In terms of new accessories the Commander comes with a sweet cape, that brings him to Street Fighter II Boss, level of awesomeness. Combine all that with the fact that Shipwreck is part of the package, and you have a set that's on fleek! See, I can be hip!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just a couple things, cause that's what I do

The helmet on my Retaliation one wasn't glued on at all. As evidenced by the archive turn arounds.

I kinda surprised you didn't recognize the cape. It's the Retaliation GI Joe Trooper cape. And because it's my job and all, I felt the need to make this happen:

*REER* Kitty's got claws!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    Don't You Go Injecting Reality Into My Fantasy

The helmet on mine came off and there is glue residue on the chrome face, I've heard of others having theirs solidly on. Keep in mind this discussion was shelved when people started breaking neck pegs. I forgot to mention that the heads swap much, much easily on this version of the mold. I forgot about that cape since I couldn't use it with the backpack and ALL that crap. I like the kitten has claws pose. As I showed in the video that hand makes a perfect gripping hand for rifle barrels.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi Chuck,

Nice review, I've been hesitant to get this two-pack.

About the Commander intended (or not) to be the supreme leader: your theory is plausible, BUT Destro and Baroness are not evidence for it, because Baroness was a Larry Hama creation (and she did not have any red on her in the first issues). Also, Destro came a year later and I doubt they had him planned so early.

As Hama often told the story, Hasbro had not even come up with a bad guy concept for GI Joe until Archie Goodwin suggested Cobra.

So, I suspect, it's more that in the beginning, they just threw in troopers, officers and a Commander, without much further thought and made them visually similar. Baroness and Destro came in later when they started to also move away from the green soldier concept for the Joes with Gung-Ho, Duke, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scryptic View Post
    Hi Chuck,

Nice review, I've been hesitant to get this two-pack.

About the Commander intended (or not) to be the supreme leader: your theory is plausible, BUT Destro and Baroness are not evidence for it, because Baroness was a Larry Hama creation (and she did not have any red on her in the first issues). Also, Destro came a year later and I doubt they had him planned so early.

As Hama often told the story, Hasbro had not even come up with a bad guy concept for GI Joe until Archie Goodwin suggested Cobra.

So, I suspect, it's more that in the beginning, they just threw in troopers, officers and a Commander, without much further thought and made them visually similar. Baroness and Destro came in later when they started to also move away from the green soldier concept for the Joes with Gung-Ho, Duke, etc.
    That's a very good point. Even in the first mini-series the Baroness was done all in blue. Personally I like the red and black design, but I prefer the blue because if you look throughout most mass media the "Bad Guys" are always wearing black. I do like a little variety every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdawg1999 View Post
    That's a very good point. Even in the first mini-series the Baroness was done all in blue. Personally I like the red and black design, but I prefer the blue because if you look throughout most mass media the "Bad Guys" are always wearing black. I do like a little variety every now and then
    That's true, she also appeared in blue in the first cartoon series.

If you notice in the early comic, also, all the uniforms had these yellow/gold ornaments and aiguillettes (Baroness, Cobra Commander and the Troopers).

It's still possible though that in the toy planning stage, he was just meant to be a commander of the troops, not the leader of the organisation. But given the Archie Goodwin comment, I don't even think Hasbro had planned that far ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by scryptic View Post
    That's true, she also appeared in blue in the first cartoon series.

If you notice in the early comic, also, all the uniforms had these yellow/gold ornaments and aiguillettes (Baroness, Cobra Commander and the Troopers).

It's still possible though that in the toy planning stage, he was just meant to be a commander of the troops, not the leader of the organisation. But given the Archie Goodwin comment, I don't even think Hasbro had planned that far ahead.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Most toy companies didn't think of making "Bad Guy" toys