Okay, I'm fleshing out an idea

yojoe.com

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay, I'm fleshing out an idea

So I'm having dinner and was looking over a forum post on here and was hit with an idea for a GI Joe themed display case. The only problem I'm having is the dimensions of the project's influence. What I'm thinking of building is this: a USS Flagg inspired display case for my son and I's GI Joe Collection. Of course, with the size of his collection he would probably need about a dozen of the things at least. Anyways, I know the Flagg was 7.5 ft long (90 inches). So I'm looking at a single sheet of plywood for the backing, framed in probably with some 3/4 thick maple and enclosed lid of framed plexiglass. I'm figuring the dividers would be 1/4 in thick, so the longest section of the ship would be able to hold 30 figures per row giving the figures a 4 in x 2.5 in space. Not knowing the width of the Flagg, I'm thinking 3 full rows of 30 figures, and maybe another 15-20 in the other sections that bulge out from the main strips.
    So figure an almost 8' long display mounted on the wall with up to 110 GI Joe figures in it....If that doesn't scream "YO Joe!" I don't think I would know what would.

And since I get my nice tax return (hopefully this week), will be getting the materials together for the prototype to be built. So yeah, pictures forthcoming I guess....

sounds interesting , post pictures of your progress please

Day off, and as soon as a spot dries on the deck will be setting up operations for Day 1 progress. Will post at the end of my day how far I was able to get. Yo Joe!