Cobra Hurricane Color differences

yojoe.com

Cobra Hurricane Color differences

Made an interesting discovery that everyone else may already know about, but I didn't see it mentioned in the database.

I picked up an incomplete Hurricane on Ebay for fifteen bucks just to get the engine nozzle that mine was missing (PS - I'll be putting the now nozzle-less one back up for sale ). When I opened up the box I realized it's a different color of blue than my other one.

At first I thought it was just due to age/UV discoloration, but the incomplete one is perfectly and evenly colored a slightly more greenish-blue with no "shadows" of the original color compared to the other. They both have 1990 date stamps, and as far as I know the Hurricane wasn't available as a mail-away (which often wound up colored slightly differently).

Has anyone else noticed this?

I took a picture but the camera doesn't do a very good job of picking up the difference - though you can still see it. When I use a color picker on the picture, it does indicate the top Hurricane is closer to the green on the color wheel when compared to bottom.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The greenish blue is very likely discoloration, I have seen many like that including one I owned since new that was not greenish when I got it. This plastic discolors perfectly even on the surface, and will also be this color on the inside if taken apart or beneath removed stickers. I don't think it has anything to do with sunlight or temp since by the time this came out, I was collecting Joes more than playing with them and neither of mine ever went outside or got above 75 degrees. I believe its simply breakdown of the cheaper grade of plastic Hasbro was using by then. I will say the one of mine that discolored did so years ago and once it got a tiny bit greenish it has stayed and not gotten worse in all the years since, while the other is still fully blue. When I bought them they both were the exact same color of blue plastic. Oddly enough one of the pilots turned a bit yellowish as well, while the other is still very gray. I can't say which one came with which vehicle since I usually displayed both in one vehicle with the window open, while the other beside it was empty with the window closed.
    Last edited by Net-Viper X; 03-27-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

That makes sense - chemical breakdown of some sort would certainly explain the consistency.