What circumstances does a fake collectible be better than an original ex: viper pilot

yojoe.com

What circumstances does a fake collectible be better than an original ex: viper pilot

What circumstances does a fake collectable be better than an original ex:viper pilot

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A "collectible" is still valuable because of its authenticity. In the Viper Pilot example, the original figures are still pretty rare, especially in good condition with a Cobra sigil. Cobra de Aço even more so. "Fake" collectibles (customs, bootlegs, etc.) might decrease the original's value slightly because seemingly more figures are available on the market. But dedicated collectors will still prefer the original in their collection. That's why it's important to share mold differences between the old & new figures with the community so we're all aware what we're buying.

Interestingly, custom collectibles have a value on their own. For example, the aqua colored Black Major Cobra Troopers made before the Viper Pilots were produced in small quantity. And since there isn't a Hasbro figure to fill that need, the custom figure is a little expensive to get. The silver and gold chrome '84 Stormshadows are also pricey.
    ***cyko's want list and items for sale vintage & new***

I'm still trying to track down the grey/ blue cobra trooper from that first (?) cobra trooper run. I got out bid at like $27 for the last one I seen on eBay- some of those are hard to find & command descent prices

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are several reasons. Price, availability, and condition. While a fake is a fake, they are almost always cheaper, easier to find, and in great condition. Obviously the seller must be honest and disclose if their item is a fake or not. Past that, it's personal preference. Is a fake good enough? Or do you insist on having the real thing?