MOBAT tear-down restoration help needed

yojoe.com

MOBAT tear-down restoration help needed

First Post! So I recently completed a childhood dream and obtained a MOBAT tank!!! The previous owner definitely pushed the limits of "customizing" decal placement and may have actually stored this tank in a sandbox but it's all complete and working so I'm still thrilled. Anyway, I'd like to do a complete tear-down restoration on it but can't seem to find any guides on how to disassemble it (I'm sure there's more than just the 6 screws in the bottom) - at the very least I'd like to pull off the cupola, turret, and top shell even if I leave all the electronics and motors attached to the bottom. I can't seem to find any guides or videos or anything on how to go about this process without destroying something. Anyone have any advice, instructions, or guides? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: MOBAT tear-down restoration help needed

Quote Originally Posted by RavenClaw View Post
    First Post! So I recently completed a childhood dream and obtained a MOBAT tank!!! The previous owner definitely pushed the limits of "customizing" decal placement and may have actually stored this tank in a sandbox but it's all complete and working so I'm still thrilled. Anyway, I'd like to do a complete tear-down restoration on it but can't seem to find any guides on how to disassemble it (I'm sure there's more than just the 6 screws in the bottom) - at the very least I'd like to pull off the cupola, turret, and top shell even if I leave all the electronics and motors attached to the bottom. I can't seem to find any guides or videos or anything on how to go about this process without destroying something. Anyone have any advice, instructions, or guides? Thanks in advance!
    Hi RavenClaw,I recently got a hold of a MOBAT in working condition, but it needed a really good cleaning. First, you were right. Get those screws off and you’re in business. Then peel off all of the stickers and clean off any residue with Goo Gone. Next, I would just clean the bottom half with a quick wipe with denatured alcohol (evaporates quickly and won’t damage the plastic if used sparingly) so you don’t have to take the motor, etc. out. Just clean the top half with soap and warm water (soak it for a bit if you have to). One thing you can do is take a picture as soon as you take it apart so you have a reference of where everything goes. Also, don’t overtighten the screws when you’re putting it back together. You could get white spots on the outside of the plastic and that is “no bueno”. I found a video on YouTube that shows how to clean GI Joe vehicles and remove the stickers https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x88n4x9MrMIHope this helps,Steve