GI Joe Ranks (Updated) - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Excellent attention to detail. Dare to call an E-7 in the Marine Corps a Sergeant. He has earned the rank of Gunnery Sergeant and will be called as such. And sometimes "Gunny". for example.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_45
    Excellent attention to detail. Dare to call an E-7 in the Marine Corps a Sergeant. He has earned the rank of Gunnery Sergeant and will be called as such. And sometimes "Gunny". for example.
    And Gung-Ho would be "Master Gunnery Sergeant LaFitte". I wonder what he's say to the file card writer who demoted him.

Talking

One thing I would like to comment on that has been overlooked. When on board the Flagg Keel Haul is in complete control of the vessel and complete command of anyone who may be on board. He has the ultimate charge of anyone on board he could even arest duke (if he wanted to) or kick anyone off the ship if he so desired. A Captain can also garnish wages, carry a fire arm(civilian vessels) , do room and bag searches, appoint all duties to all individuals on board, and can legaly mary marry people. We are covered by the Jones Act and Maritine Law, is pretty much untouchable. Now granted it dosent mean he cant be fired upon by other vessels for not following his orders from a superior or being marked with treason. After all he can be demoted and kicked out of the navy for his insubordination, if he choose just not to follow orders, but until that time he would be "the man" but he would then have to be stripped of his commision. Also Joseph colton Would be the only person in all of GIJoe that could give an order to keel-haul, The only reason that is, is because he was appointed by former president JFK (which at the time was the highest ranking military official, as is any President which includes all branches of the armed services ) And the only reason why Colton could do it, is because both Keel Haul and the Flagg are in service to GIJOE. However if there was a 5 star genera(general of the army) then yes that person could order keelhaul what to do. But there is only a 5 star general during times of war. However one more point to make, if a 5 star general or Joseph Colton were to be onboard the Flagg and tell Heel Haul to do something that he felt was unsafe for the lives of his men or his crew, then he could refuse that order and he would have to be relieved of command. But until a suitable replacement could be found if Keel-Haul said no, it was no. So even if Colton was onboard, it would still be Keel Hauls decision weather to follow it or not.
    Wanted: All cobra army builders from 1982 - 1987.<BR>deepseacaptain@yahoo.com

80 S.N.A.K.E. Armors and counting. Always looking for complete armors and parts.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Talking

wow nice list just curious how long did it tak youTo get it organized
    check my want
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/34774...ure-parts.html
    read my fan fiction in the fan creativity section
    please visit http://jimmyz.myminicity.com/ and my website http://jmsberetta.webs.com

OK from my understanding Admirals normally are not in charge of a boat. They are in Charge of Fleets. So shouldn't the joes have a Captain for the Flagg? Also on a boat the Captain (be he a 1st Lt. or actual Captain) is in charge of the ship. Unless the officer right underneth him feels he is unfit for command. Be there an Admiral, President, General on board.

Same thing with Planes. The Pilot is God as long as the plane is in the air.

I've added Rotty's list to the end of the first post, since his is somewhat different from mine, reflecting ranks from different file cards than mine.

Talking

Red that is correct. I used Keel-Haul in the place of a Captain because he is the closest thing to a Captain the Joes have for the Flagg. The reason no other personnel in the Joe universe could run the Flagg as I see, is for the following. When you get a license as a Captain, there are different levels that must be accomplished to raise from one level to the next. You can have 3 or 4 Captains on the same vessel but only one is given commision of the vessel so he is in charge. As far as overturning a Captains decision, It is only possible if all the officers under the Captain agree that he is unfit for command. However they had better be right, or they could all face treason charges if a Naval court deems that the Captain was justified in his orders. Secondly as I mentioned earlier about Captains with the vessel they are commisioned. Here is a good for instance, Keel Haul gives Cutter an order. Cutter says no (while he is on board the whale) Then thats that. Keel-Haul could be on the whale and cutter is still in command because it is his vessel. As to earlier what I also mentioned about different size Captains licenses you must start with a license of less tonnage and work your way up to licenses of larger tonnage. Now I will not go into everything you must do to move from larger license to another simply for the fact it would go into great depth and way to lengthy to put on this post so I offer you the "Reders Digest version of the things I had to go through to get to 1600-3000ITC/Oceans endorsement.
    Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 50 gross tons
    Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 100 gross tons
    Mate of steam or motorvessels of not more than 150 gross tons
    Mate of steam or motor vessels of not more than 200 gross tons
    Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 200 gross tons
    Mate of steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons
    Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons
    Mate of steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons
    Master of steam or motor vessels not more than 1600 gross tons
    Master of steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons and 3000 ITC-international tons (where I am)
    Master of steam or motor vessels not more than 1600 gross tons and 6000 class ITC- international tonnage (what I will have by summer)
    Now the following is where you are talking about an aircraft carrier, carnival cruise line, super tanker etc. By the way, you cannot achieve these licenses unless you go through the above process as I have-Hopefully be here in next 2 years or so as I have been out here 9 years now. And yes it is a slow process-
    Third Mate of steam or motor vessels of unlimited tonnage
    Second Mate of steam or motor vessels of unlimited tonnage
    Chief Mate of steam or motor vessels of unlimited tonnage
    Master of steam or motor vessels of unlimited tonnage.
    As you can see for individuals such as Cutter spending all his apperant sea time on a vessel of under 500 tons (or apperant)that he ran as Master of, he would not have the tonnage time required to move up. Tonnage time is collected as you increase you vesssel size one after the other. He cant jump the process. So with Keel-Haul the only apperant licensed person in all of GIJOE with an Unlimited Masters license he would have dual task of both Admiral/Master of the vessel a.k.a. Captain. However, an Abled Bodied Seaman with rating form of a navigational watch may work on the bridge and hold course or work as a helmsman. As a matter of fact any person designated by the Captain may hold the wheel and drive. But, until Keel-Haul gets some more Unlimited Captains under him, there is no one else in GIJOE qualified to run the ship. One more interesting point on the size vessels I run, there ae usually 4 licensed Captains or Mates on board at all times, However only 1 is in command. Our rank runs from Master, Relief Captain, Third Captain, Mate. Even though all Captains on board have the same tonnage licenses. On Ships you are looking at 5 or more individuals. I hope this added some clarity to the Maritime ranking system.
    Last edited by captainterrebonne; 02-12-2005 at 07:46 PM.

80 S.N.A.K.E. Armors and counting. Always looking for complete armors and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by captainterrebonne
    ...So with Keel-Haul the only apperant licensed person in all of GIJOE with an Unlimited Masters license he would have dual task of both Admiral/Master of the vessel a.k.a. Captain. However, an Abled Bodied Seaman with rating form of a navigational watch may work on the bridge and hold course or work as a helmsman. As a matter of fact any person designated by the Captain may hold the wheel and drive. But, until Keel-Haul gets some more Unlimited Captains under him, there is no one else in GIJOE qualified to run the ship. ....
    All of that stuff about the different tonage rankings is pretty interesting.

If the "actual" Flagg is in proportion to the toy, and not the size of most modern nuclear carriers, it could be considered a mini-carrier, and it could be signifigantly less tonage. A small outfit like GIJoe might actually only require a relatively small carrier, which might mean that it's captain didn't need to have the "unlimited" ranking.

What do you think?
    Check out my weekly webcomic: cy-boar updated every Thursday!

Talking

I actually was speaking in terms of actual ships. But once about a year ago I made a comparrison between the toy scale to the real scale. If I remember right this is how I figured it out. If the average joe was 6 foot tall and you laid them down from bow to stern I believe it was at 24 joes or so. which would only make it a 145 foot vessel. which is a lot smaller than the one I run now. But if we are to take the size differance into consideration for the flagg then we must do it for all the vessels Joe has. For instance the Whale would not be more than 40 ft long or so. The Devil fish would be about 12-15 foot long. Which you would not even need a license for the Devil Fish, and the Hovercraft (Whale) you could run with a 50 ton license. The Scale to the Flagg would probably still require a 200 ton license. Which still would not qualify anyone else in the Joe universe. But good question. Glad to see it wasnt too confusing.

No sense at all

Quote Originally Posted by yojoeshow View Post
    So Wild Bill is higher on the chain of command than Duke?
    Yeah, these ranks make no sense at all. While I'm not a fanboy or expert, I did love me some GI Joes, but I don't recognize a lot of those names. Going by the cartoon, it went Hawk, Duke, Flint, and Beachhead. Flint even states it in one episode, but according to this, Rock-n-Roll is the same damn rank as Duke, and Flint outranks them all with ****in' Shipwreck and Snake-Eyes being able to give orders to half the Joes. Shipwreck should be the LAST person giving orders, and Snake-Eyes can't even ****ing talk, lol. And to me, "Grunt" sounds like the lowest level ground soldier or infantryman. That's what they call new recruits. It's what Burke called Hicks in Aliens to indicate his low level and inability to make tactical decisions, but yet there Grunt is ranking in at E-5.