Need help for repairing an orig Zartan. - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Zartan
    i was just thinking about this, i was going to bring out my zartan and display him with an old Tonka truck that would be perfect for the dreadnoks. i know mine is losing the battle of time on the o-ring.

Storm Shadow
    nah, V2 storm shadow has a screw and o-ring, it's the ninja force storm shadow that doesn't have the screw in the back, and i'm thinking the version from the collector's packs in 2000 or 2001 was the same mold. although i can't be certain of the V2 storm shadow, hehe somehow i traded mine to my cousin for a V1 storm shadow way back in probablly 1988 or 1989 :P hahah i kept the V2 weapons too! hahah jeez i ripped him off i think :P

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    V 1 Zartan does have an o-ring. I am not familiar with any Zartan without one.

For old skool Zartan, Zandar and Zarana repair:

1. Bring a pot of water to a steady boil.

2. Take out the back screw

3. Throw the figure into the boiling water for a minute or so (don't worry about over boiling)

4. Pull the figure out (Be careful it will be hot!) and slowly pry it apart with a knife or screwdriver.

5. Feel free to put it back into the water to soften it up more if needed.
    I tried this method to repair a Zandar figure one time. The boiling water not only faded the figures paint but it also warped the body so bad that I could not put the figure back together again.

Arrow

I boiled plenty and have known a lot of people who also boil.

That is the first mention of paint fading I have ever heard about.

Plastic has a memory. If you warp it, it should go back to its original shape when it cools. If not, reboill it and it should then.

At any rate you shouldn't have to put that much torque into it where it does warp much.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yeah i boiled my storm shadow after dropping it in the toilet and nothing faded.

hahahahaahahah, i remember dropping Adventure People into the toilet all the time hahahahah jeez... the greatest ADVENTURE of all!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    V 1 Zartan does have an o-ring. I am not familiar with any Zartan without one.

For old skool Zartan, Zandar and Zarana repair:

1. Bring a pot of water to a steady boil.

2. Take out the back screw

3. Throw the figure into the boiling water for a minute or so (don't worry about over boiling)

4. Pull the figure out (Be careful it will be hot!) and slowly pry it apart with a knife or screwdriver.

5. Feel free to put it back into the water to soften it up more if needed.

Wow Nick!!
    Did you accidentally discover this strange technique while making a Zartan broth? Cuz i would have NEVER thought of boiling any of my figs, especially not a Zartan v1!!
    New eBayID: the_faceless_master

Old eBayID: dreytopia

ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    hey, boiling joes sounds crazy but it works. I have repaired several zartans this way, and one zandar. however the first on I did the black arm pads and hood became discolored (hardwater), some baby oil fixed the armor, but not the hood. I take the hoods off before I boil them now. and you don't want to boil them too long- or the plastic gets too soft. once I pop zartan aparts I let his parts cool and regain their original shape, then slap in a new oring and he's done. this also works on anything glued together that you come across.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

Hey,

Thanks Doc i dunno what 2 do with my Zandar i´ll try it for sure !!!!!

Reading this made me curious, does the hot water not have an adverse effect on the color change plastic? I would be afraid he wouldnt change color any more, which my original one still does at this point, but his head is broken off at the neck.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

The body is NOT molded in one piece. It IS bonded (which most likely DOES come from ths color-change substance), but I pryed mine apart, cold, way back when. It stretched the hole in the bottom a bit, but not noticeable. anyhow next time one of you takes it apart either prying or boiling, check it out. his otrso DOES have pins. besides, how would they have gotten the heads and arms attached? I would like to hear if boiling affects the color change. If I remember right, the the 80's you could get color change glasses that reacted to temperature also, but a dishwasher'd kill that after about 2 washings. And for further fun, anybody know what the stuff is that makes him change color? or how to recharge his color change if you can?