Censorship on this board

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation Censorship on this board

So I have been reading a bit recently from a handful of people that think we (the mods) are censoring posts/threads.

Why is that?

As far as I know we only step in when one of the three cardinal rules are broken:

Swearing - yes, we usually edit out the word(s)

Politics - close the thread

Religion - close the thread

And we may close a thread if people just start yelling at each other for whatever reason that day brings like:

"I think purple Vipers rock and you and your red vipers suck!"

Our reasoning for the above items is to keep this board as Joe oriented as possible and friendly to people of all ages.

There seems to be a handful of people that have issue with this and to those people I ask: "What's your beef sir?"

And remember for everyone of the few people that complain, we get more positive responses from others. Unfortunately in life the positive responses are never as loud as the negative.

This came to me just yesterday from a member that I honestly don't interact with on the board so it was even more of pleasant suprise:

You're a fair voice of reason when we get too far out of hand. You and the other mods help make YoJoe the best site out there.
    So to those out there that feel this dictatorship is too much for them, here is your chance to voice why. No need to slip little comments into other threads. Voice them here.

And if you feel the opposite - feel free to voice your opinion as well.

We, the staff at YoJoe, cannot make this a better site without feedback.

But as always, try to be civilized in your comments because simple answers like "You suck, Jeff sucks, AC sucks, you all suck" just don't lead to productive debate. And I may suck but Jeff and AC rock!
    Last edited by dockingbay97; 12-03-2004 at 09:47 AM.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This board is like someone else's house or place of business, while your visiting in their house you play/live by their rules. Its not censorship, its not squishing your constitutional rights, its their place, their rules. By agreeing to the rules of the site when you register you are bound by them which gives the Mods every right in the world to do the job they are in place to do.

You have a few options, realize your mistake, accept it and move on or decide you can't abide by the rules and leave. Obviously the former is the better option as the site/community won't thrive if everyone leaves but some people can't seem to get along in a online community without being rude to everyone and belittling people.

Now the one gripe I would have is if the Mods are changing posts that don't fall into the above criteria, but I don't think that is the case, and if they do chagne something it shows up very obviously at the bottom of the post that its been edited so you know who did it.
    ReilToys has closed - thanks for all the memories guys!

Censorship on this board ain't that bad. I agree with Druss. As a visitor you play by the rules of the board. Don't like them? Don't visit. Plain and simple.

When I first joined this board my first posts were blunt and insulting. I got a couple of warnings, both public and pm. Then I had a simple choice: leave or adjust behaviour. I chose the latter.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Druss
    Now the one gripe I would have is if the Mods are changing posts that don't fall into the above criteria, but I don't think that is the case, and if they do chagne something it shows up very obviously at the bottom of the post that its been edited so you know who did it.
    I also try to leave an explanation for the edit like "Edited for language."

It seemed like for about a month .. all i would see was mods posting things like you just earned yourself a week of vacation from this board ( i cant remember if that is the exact phrase)

I think the wording is very unproffesional on the mods part. kind of like they are on a power trip.(personal opinion). I just feel like there is no reason for a mod to make it seem like they are trying to be funny about it. I dont see the problem with a person using astricks and symbols to reference a word so they can convey a feeling. But i am subject to the same rules as everyone else so if i feel the need to type something like that, i make sure i do it on another board.

I can understand there is a need for editing. I understand somepeople come on here (possible with other identies) just to stir things up.

here is my personal beef

I have a personal problem with my avatar having to be editted and it was right after i had a different opinion with 2 people. the next day i am told that a man with a gun to his head is not appropriate for a website that deals with gijoes who shoot cobras. IT had been up for atleast 4 months and no one complained till I had a different opinon than someone and they got upset and we had a behind the scenes confrontation in PM'S. I know people could possible feel it implied suicide, but to me it was a form of self expression. I didn't have it up to offend anyone. I edited the avatar, but i don't see why the mods would not tell me who it was. I am an intelligent person and if someone really had somekind of traumatic expierence I would understand. I feel it was someone that was upset because i had a different opinion so they used the mods to get even with me. that is my personal problem with the mods and cencorship.. i am liberal person so i dont find problems with peoples self expression.

just my 2 cents.. i know i dropped a little line in a post just recently..

Lately,

Surprizingly, I haven't mind the censorships and edits done by the mod's...

Sure a few might have been touchy calls, but you can't please everyone, all the time...

Its a tough job being a mod, and if you can't play by the mod's rules, you have no reason being here.

I have issues with a few of the rules, but I'm willing to fall in line...

Why, because the rules are simple, clearly stated (and public for all to see) and edits have a name (and sometimes reason posted with them)...

Its not too hard to fall in line and for as much as we all get out of coming here and discussing all things related to the GI Joe Universe, I believe it worth it, falling in line and playing by the rules...

If you can't, move on and create your own site... Then you can make everyone play by your rules.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

drveovru2, while I find your avatar to be one of the two on this board that give me the willies, that never even went through my mind when the decision was made.

When people started complaining, that is when I asked you to remove it.

I know you seemed a little hurt that I wouldn't tell you who complained.

The fact is I will never, ever reveal anyone who reports a post or makes a complaint about another member. It is counteractive if I do so. The mods can't read every single post on this board so we do depend on input from other members. If we started saying who was telling us things, then no one would want to help anymore. I am sorry if that bothered you and I honestly don't remember who the people were either.

And I didn't mean anything offensive by my "Vacation" term. I know we the mods were very frustrated at that time because there were multiple occurances of cursing almost every day.

For better or worse the "Vacation" has cut the cursing way, way down.

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    drveovru2, while I find your avatar to be one of the two on this board that give me the willies
    Wow... so I wasn't the only one creeped out either...

But it wasn't me C.V. I was willing to live with it...

Tanner

PS: I did like the screaming one better personally.
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

I dunno - the avatar kinda reminded me of Henry Rollins. I thought it was funny in its extreme, goofy way. And this is coming from someone who WAS suicidal at a point long ago. (TMI, probably, but it puts my view into perspective)

However, if someone were offended by my inflated cow, I have plenty of other pics with which to express myself. I've seen MUCH worse on other boards; it's kinda nice that for the most part, the images here aren't quite as creepy as what's out there.

Hey, I blew it with my .sig when I first started. One of the mods let me know, I changed it. It's really not a big deal to me.

As far as enforcing policy - the FAQ is plain as day. For those who can't seem to follow rules, there are plenty of other boards in which to spread their bile, pick fights, etc.

It didn't seem the FAQ was being read or followed there for a while. It's been nice to see that the suspensions and bans have put the kibosh on a LOT of negative-impact behavior. And I don't have to worry about my son reading the forums over my shoulder. I shouldn't have to.

Keep up the good work, guys. It's highly preferable to constant flamewars.

Quote Originally Posted by orionlukteel
    However, if someone were offended by my inflated cow, I have plenty of other pics with which to express myself.
    Pat,

I will be the first to come forward and express my offendness about your "floating cow".

I for one, born and rasied in the state of Wiscon.....

LOL ok, sorry thought I could do this with a straight face, but I can't, so I guess the cow gets to stay.

Tanner