AFA GRADED GI JOE Discussions - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 182
  1. #11
    I asked this one so I will explain it to you. The overall grade is the first grade they give. Then they do the subs seperate which play no role in the overall grade. Its just an added piece that goes into more detail. The overall is like a quick lookover from what I was told. I have been happy with all mine so far. I grade kinda tough and they meet what I grade things at. The lowest I ever got was an 80 and the highest a 90 quite a few times. There was one I thought would have got a 90 but got an 85. I think sometimes I expect them to be nicer on the older figures since those are prone to more flaws but they grade them the same as if the figure came out today.Like dockingbay said the case is cool. I can understand why some people hate them but for me I like them a lot. As an ebay seller and buyer you never know what you are gonna get and even though the guy has 100% feedback everyone grades and judges things differently. What afa does for me is gives me a 3rd party opinion on my stuff that is fairly consistent. I am not saying they are perfect but close counts when it comes to selling them. My big point with them is I collect mocs and I have bought the same figure 3-4 times looking for a really nice one. The person may have said c9 but to afa it may grade an 80. It gives me a consisentcy when buying. I would rather pay 150 for something than to buy it 4 times for 60 only to be dissapointed. I am pretty happy with there services. They have always been fair with me. I am curious what some of you guys hate about them. Like said above keep it nice so it stays mature and not a flame thread. Maybe talking about it will give people a better understanding why not to like and why to like them
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A nice, normal little town, IA
    Posts
    267
    I am curious what some of you guys hate about them.
    Well the main thing is they charge you a bunch of money for their opinion of something's condition. Their very biased opinion. I've seen items they themselves are selling WAAAAY overgraded, as well as other peoples items WAAAAY undergraded. If you have 2 identical figures, in identical condition the grade should be the same.

    But that is not the case.
    I need a 2000 Battle Armor Cobra Commander head.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thunt4
    I asked this one so I will explain it to you. The overall grade is the first grade they give. Then they do the subs seperate which play no role in the overall grade. Its just an added piece that goes into more detail. The overall is like a quick lookover from what I was told. I have been happy with all mine so far. I grade kinda tough and they meet what I grade things at. The lowest I ever got was an 80 and the highest a 90 quite a few times. There was one I thought would have got a 90 but got an 85. I think sometimes I expect them to be nicer on the older figures since those are prone to more flaws but they grade them the same as if the figure came out today.Like dockingbay said the case is cool. I can understand why some people hate them but for me I like them a lot. As an ebay seller and buyer you never know what you are gonna get and even though the guy has 100% feedback everyone grades and judges things differently. What afa does for me is gives me a 3rd party opinion on my stuff that is fairly consistent. I am not saying they are perfect but close counts when it comes to selling them. My big point with them is I collect mocs and I have bought the same figure 3-4 times looking for a really nice one. The person may have said c9 but to afa it may grade an 80. It gives me a consisentcy when buying. I would rather pay 150 for something than to buy it 4 times for 60 only to be dissapointed. I am pretty happy with there services. They have always been fair with me. I am curious what some of you guys hate about them. Like said above keep it nice so it stays mature and not a flame thread. Maybe talking about it will give people a better understanding why not to like and why to like them

    I know nothing about this, but i do know if they don't publish A)their standards, or B) their grading statistics (14 Blizzards Graded, [email protected] 95 [email protected] 2 @85 etc..) then they're useless. They should have that information published and traceable by serial number. IF they don't it's a scam.

    shippy.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiplore
    I know nothing about this, but i do know if they don't publish A)their standards, or B) their grading statistics (14 Blizzards Graded, [email protected] 95 [email protected] 2 @85 etc..) then they're useless. They should have that information published and traceable by serial number. IF they don't it's a scam.

    All AFA graded items are traceable by their serial number. It is in part one way for a buyer to know they are getting a real AFA piece.

    Go to the figure archives tab on their site and set up a free account to view a certain figure or general population reports.

    www.toygrader.com
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

    You can’t stop the signal

  7. #15
    And I thought sub-grades were part of the final grade as they are components of the overall grade of the piece.

    This is in part that lead to a healthy discussion on rebelscum. Cloud City sold an uncirculated SW Saga figure (something like an easy to find Han or Vader). It was graded an U100 and sold for like $200. It was a crazy amount to pay for a pegwarming figure but it was the grade that did it.

    But to fuel the fire of controversy one of the subgrades was a 90 or 95 while the other two were 100's. It just seemed to a lot of people that it should not be a 100 unless all subgrades were 100.
    Last edited by dockingbay97; 12-21-2004 at 08:55 AM.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

    You can’t stop the signal

  8. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    All AFA graded items are traceable by their serial number. It is in part one way for a buyer to know they are getting a real AFA piece.

    Go to the figure archives tab on their site and set up a free account to view a certain figure or general population reports.

    www.toygrader.com
    OKay that's much better if they publish population reports and criteria..it makes it much more legitimate...

    Thanks DB.
    shippy

  9. #17
    Ya from what I was told they do the overall first. The subs are 2nd and don't effect the overall.I think it may be on there site somewhere.A lot of times if you write them a question they are pretty quick to respond. To be honest its not a lot of money. The case alone is probably worth like $10 and if you wait till a special you are paying $7 more usually.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

  10. #18
    Well it still doesn't make sense to me for a 100 to have any subgrade less than 100. I mean if it is going to be perfect, how can it have a flaw?
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

    You can’t stop the signal

  11. #19
    This controversey is also rife in the comic world with CGC grading. One thing I gotta say though, like it or not, if you buy something on ebay and it is CGC or AFA graded, you pretty much know what you are getting. I will not buy a silver age comic on ebay unless it has been CGC'd.

    As for AFA, I have been sending my figs over there. My first experience I sent an 86 BAT and 86 Viper, the viper was unpunched and had a price tag, and only got an 80. I thought that was low. The BAT got an 85, and it was punched. Hmph. So then I send them an 85 v.2 Snake eyes with the punchole ripped out. It got a 5. i wasn't super suprised. I also sent them an 84 v.1 Storm Shadow (I bought it from etmartin). The card was perfect and unpunched, the figure was perfect white, but both bubbles were kind of crushed. It got a 75. I was shocked. I was sure it would have gotten lower because of the bubble. I did get it sealed in one of those nifty UV cases though. I also sent them an 85 Tomax/Xamot which got an 8 (I'm sketchy on that one, but I guess it is fair). So all in all I guess I'm satisfied with them. I just sent them some vehicles, an 85 awe striker, and an 88 Warthog (I've seen a 84 rattler afa'd on ebay before), and I also sent them a SGT. Slaughter's renegades and a hole bunch of figs. Their customer service is pretty friendly. I sent them an email once and I got a response back the same day. I'm interested to see how the vehicles turn out. I'll keep you all posted.

  12. #20
    Has anyone given any thought to what happens if AFA loses/damages a figure you send them? Has this ever happened? Is there any recourse?

    Just curious.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •