AFA GRADED GI JOE Discussions - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I have sent over 200 figs to them and never had an issue. They are not going to risk their reputation on losing someones figure besides that is why you send the figures to them insured.

The one thing I do wonder about is how much care they take when unpacking and examining your figure. One wrong move by them and oops it was a 90 and now it is an 80.
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Someone above mentioned they sell their own figures and which often seem to have high grades?

I'm a comic fan as well so of course CGC is the big Comic Grading source, very similar issues though items will attain the perfect 10.0 grade, its not common but it happens, much more common is a 9.9, 9.8, etc...how is it that so few AFA items score over 90's? Are those grades reserved for certain dealers? Seems very fishy.
    ReilToys has closed - thanks for all the memories guys!

Quote Originally Posted by smarchitelli
    Has anyone given any thought to what happens if AFA loses/damages a figure you send them? Has this ever happened? Is there any recourse?

Just curious.

I saw an Ebay auction over the summer for an AFA damaged figure. I can't remember who the figure was, But when AFA was heat sealing the case they melted a hole in the figure bubble. I'm not sure about having any recourse the seller did have a letter from AFA confirming they damaged it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Despite cryptic responses from their management - Cloud City and AFA are owned in part by the same people. CC was really the first company to sell AFA on the web. Their items are usually highly scored but I have zero proof that anything hinky is going on.

Do I blame CC for getting into the AFA business? No, it gave them a marketing advantage for a while and it made them known to a larger portion of the collector base.

Where my problem lies in this ownership is it should be public knowledge. To admit it to some collectors behind closed doors and then deny it in public seems weird.

AFA would seem more legit to me if they came out and said something along the lines of:

"Yes, we are in part or in whole owned by the same people that own CC. The businesses are seperate and do not influence each other."

Now something to remember when sending figures to get graded. It is happening more and more with vintage SW - the bubbles become brittle with age and shatter on the return trip from AFA. The figure sliding back and forth during shipment can break the bubbles. It would stink to have an AFA graded item that is busted loose inside.

Since I really don't collect much MOC Joes, I don't know if this is a problem yet with older carded Joes. Just keep it in mind if you have a bubble that seems brittle and you are going to mail it away.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

I just got an email today saying that AFA is shipping one of the figs I sent to them, not even 1 week ago. Granted I sent them 2 vehicles, one odd sized fig (slaughter's renegades), and then 83 snow job (in UV Casing). They said the 83 snow job is on it's way. I chose the express teir, I think it's supposed to be 10 to 12 days. Hmph. good for me I guess. i see what grade they give it though.

The figure they damaged was a MOC lowlight. I recall that auction. Afa paid the owner of the figure back the amount he insured it for on the order form. They handled it as professionally as could be expected, and it's the only instance I've heard of AFA damaging a figure sent to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    Despite cryptic responses from their management - Cloud City and AFA are owned in part by the same people. CC was really the first company to sell AFA on the web. Their items are usually highly scored but I have zero proof that anything hinky is going on.

Have you looked at Cloud City's GI JOE web site catalog? They have a bunch of AFA graded Vintage Joes for sale and all of them are graded 80 or below. So to think all items they have graded get high scores is not accurate. In my opinion most of the items they get graded are junk and it is reflected in the AFA grades they receive.
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwoo
    The figure they damaged was a MOC lowlight. I recall that auction. Afa paid the owner of the figure back the amount he insured it for on the order form. They handled it as professionally as could be expected, and it's the only instance I've heard of AFA damaging a figure sent to them.
    I could have sworn it was a Blowtorch and they melted a hole in the bubble when they sealed the case. I guess it doesn't really make much difference, though.
    She said,
    "Don't you miss the mornings?
    Don't you miss those days?
    Don't you miss me, Baby?
    'Cause I'm fading away."
    -Adam Duritz

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    Have you looked at Cloud City's GI JOE web site catalog? They have a bunch of AFA graded Vintage Joes for sale and all of them are graded 80 or below. So to think all items they have graded get high scores is not accurate. In my opinion most of the items they get graded are junk and it is reflected in the AFA grades they receive.
    As someone who has bought from Cloud City, known a lot of people who bought from CC and watched CC sales for several years

1. Cloud City does not sell junk

2. CC has only been selling Joes for about the last 6 months or so and don't have the inventory yet.

3. CC sells most of their AFA figures on eBay and they are almost all at least AFA 80 unless it is something particularly rare.

Exclamation

And while I am posting about AFA, here is the next thing I don't like about them.

The AFA/Toyfare connection.

About a year or so ago AFA started placing full page ads in Toyfare magazine. Toyfare in return started putting a section in their price guide that basically says "Hey, look what your figure is worth now but look how much it will sell for on eBay if AFA graded!"

At the same time after many Toyfare exclusives that people had a hard time getting, they started offering AFA graded versions of their exclusives. So when you go to order a new Toyfare exclusive, you have the chance to spend 2x, 3x or more for an AFA graded version.

While I would argue Toyfare is not the best price guide out there, I would agree it is probably the most read. These above actions definetly influence consumers.

It is a lot of you scratch my back, you scratch mine. And in business that is cool as long as it is not illegal. I know of no reason why the above reasons would be illegal.

My problem with this weird partnership is I think a grading company should be 100% impartial. They should not be able to be influenced.

I think by partnering with both a dealer and now a price guide, they are not a 100% service.

That is my problem with AFA.