AFA GRADED GI JOE Discussions - Page 7

yojoe.com

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gutstheberserker
    It's www.toygrader.com. I guess my response would be that if you had x number of years experience and were use to grading figures on a daily basis and then went through the process of grading hundreds of figures a day then you would be qualified to grade.
    So by that rationale, anyone can grade toys as effectively as AFA. Thanks for at least attempting to answer the question.

And thanks for the link... absolutely no information there about their qualifications either. I can't help but grin at their "why choose AFA" section... as if they have competition. It should be called "what we offer" or some such.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Snake
    That still doesn't answer the question. What, or who, qualifies these people as experts and who verifies that they even know what they're supposed to know?

And I looked for a website... still can't find any info. I'm assuming their website is www.actionfigureauthority.com (which doesn't work - it's not afa.com/net/org either) but if that's not it someone throw up a link.

Regardless... you have to go to legitimate schools to become qualified as a master brewer (to again use that example), there's no such thing for grading toys which again means there's no qualifying someone as an expert other than them saying they are. I, or anyone, could start up a toy grading company with my own grades (complete with my years of extensive toy grading experience*cough*) and nifty packaging and say I was an expert at that and start charging a premium price for my "authoritative" work just as easily and that would make me no more of an authority than AFA.

So the question remains...
    If it was so easy then many other companies would of started up by now. - AFA is selling a service. Some like it and others do not. Some people pay a lawn service to cut their grass. These services advertise themselves as professional. Did they go to lawn cutting school? No such thing. It is all learned by experience. They then charge you to cut your grass. You can say anyone can be a lawn cutting professional but it requires an investment of machinery and tools and unless you really know what you are doing and have business savy you will not succeed.
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Snake
    So by that rationale, anyone can grade toys as effectively as AFA. Thanks for at least attempting to answer the question.

And thanks for the link... absolutely no information there about their qualifications either. I can't help but grin at their "why choose AFA" section... as if they have competition. It should be called "what we offer" or some such.
    wrong. They have special equipment that helps detect flaws that are not easily seen by the naked eye.
    www.joeparts.com

KRE-O

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is that equipment unique? Can no one else use "equipment" to find flaws in cardboard? I know you're a huge AFA fan and all but don't act like this "service" can't be perfomed by anyone anywhere. And you just made my point. They're an "authority" because they say so. Nothing more, nothing less. So they're no more qualified than anyone else, they just happen to be doing it. Are they set up? Yes. Established? Sure. An authority? No. They're just the only ones doing it.

I don't care about AFA (or grading) one way or another. I asked a simple question that I've seen asked before many times and no one ever bothered to answer. So far one person tried to effectively answer it, you didn't. You brought up some strange circular logic that doesn't answer anything. (And your point about grass doesn't correlate. At least with my beer reference beer that's selected by master brewers as quality beer holds a higher value over a basement microbrew [which is where actual credentials comes into play], the same with graded toys. Grass, cut or uncut, is still grass... Whether you pay a company or some kid down the street, the end result of the "service" - professional or otherwise - retains the same value for the affected "product"... your grass is cut.)

The only point you made (about this mysterious "equipment") doesn't do anything to answer what makes these people an authority and/ or experts. Thanks though.

By the by... if you're talking about landscaping (which is what it reads like you're referring to) and not simple lawn mowing, then there are courses & training for that.
    http://www.educationdirect.com/lands....html?hs99~799

That link kind of sucks, here's a better one.

http://www.pct.edu/courdesc/HRT.SHTML

One last point (seriously, last one ): There's a big difference between being a professional at something, and being an authority on a subject. Ok, I'm done... for now.
    Last edited by Iron Snake; 05-30-2005 at 10:54 PM.

i have a few moc items, i dont collect anything afa. i wanted to chime on this. Anyone remember a year or so ago when some afa stuff was going for unheard of prices? things were going for 1500 or so. it was crazy compared to what they usually go for. well it was remotely brought up among a few of us that this was the perfect marketing tool for afa. bid up some ebay autions to unheard of prices and the business with roll in.

i have no proof of this, but i dont like the idea that a company has the ability to do this. with the shady info posted earlier, this would make me think twice before sending stuff to them. i have never really looked to see what they charge but 10 crazy autions over a few months combined with some message board publicity and afa could make a sizable return. all afa would have to do is continually bid up there own auctions and then win them. they will have to pay the ebay fees but these are going to be far less than the added business they recieve when people jump on the afa bandwagon hoping in 5-20 years people will pay unheard of amounts for vvv or jvc figures..

just my 2 cents.. not a fan of afa, but i am a conspiracy theoristists.

I have to agree. AFA is a scam and a joke. It will all go away in a few years. Collecting goes in cycles and it is on a high right now for the Joe's and toys. But like Beanie Babies, Hot Wheels/Nascar, comics, cards, coins, Barbie's, and toy trains it will fall off and prices for this will come down. AFA is making a false sense of security for the market is all. And they are making a killing! I told my friends when AFA started doing comics and cards that we should do toys and make a killing. They all laughed at me!

Michael Richards
    Bulletman Big B
    All Hail DOB!!!!
    ALL HAIL DOB!!
    http://www.joelanta.com/dob.html

Say word?

Quote Originally Posted by toy-nutz
    I have to agree. AFA is a scam and a joke. It will all go away in a few years. Collecting goes in cycles and it is on a high right now for the Joe's and toys. But like Beanie Babies, Hot Wheels/Nascar, comics, cards, coins, Barbie's, and toy trains it will fall off and prices for this will come down. AFA is making a false sense of security for the market is all. And they are making a killing! I told my friends when AFA started doing comics and cards that we should do toys and make a killing. They all laughed at me!

Michael Richards
    Bulletman Big B
    All Hail DOB!!!!
    They probably laughed at you because AFA doesn't do comics or cards -- those are completely different companies unrelated to AFA like CGC. As far as the staying power of AFA, they've been around for more than 3 years and there is nothing to indicate that they are going away anytime soon.

In response to AFA bidding up AFA auctions, given that I have bid on alot of them, I can tell you without a doubt that AFA does not bid on the auctions -- I know most of the collectors that are purchasing these items and have bought items or traded from them in the past.

I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from. I know with CGC when they first started almost 6 years ago there were alot of similar responses. Now, 600,000 graded comics later, they are still here and have effectively lowered the price on ungraded items while raising the price of graded items by multiples. There is an obvious reason for that -- certainty. If history repeats itself, a more likely scenario is that 2 or 3 years from now the price of ungraded Joe items will drop while graded items will continue to rise.

If you don't like grading that's cool, like I said its not for everyone.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

My intentions with this thread was to create a place to discuss AFA grading. I did not want this to turn into an AFA sucks thread. AFA has flaws and I will be the first to admit it. Even little things like the way they label some figures is bad- for example I had a 1984 Recondo that said "peach filecard" as if it was released on anything different. I know that no matter how perfect a figure is it will never get graded anything over a 90. However until a better grading company comes along they will continue to get my business.
    www.joeparts.com

KRE-O

Quote Originally Posted by toy-nutz

Michael Richards
    Bulletman Big B
    All Hail DOB!!!!
    Sorry but I don't think they are going anywhere. They have been around too long now and when they are partially owned and bank rolled by a toy dealer and a toy price guide magazine, there is major incentive to keep the company rolling forever.

As much as I dislike AFA, I realize they are here to stay.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

I mean it wont be around for more then 10 years or so. I really believe they wont be around. The reason I think this is as I saw on Antiques Roadshow the other day they were showing how hard the Baseball card market has crashed along with coins, comic, and stamps. And eventhough CGC, which is what I meant before as to me CGC and AFA are the same thing, B.I.D., is trying to help the card market it is only helping the market a little. And I have to say the same thing will happen to toys real soon. In about 20 years an AFA graded figure will not help it keep its value.
    Michael Richards
    Bulletman Big B
    All Hail DOB!!
    ALL HAIL DOB!!
    http://www.joelanta.com/dob.html