AFA GRADED GI JOE Discussions - Page 9

yojoe.com

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 82to87Joes
    has anyone sent loose figures in to be graded yet? i was curious how they encase the figures (or if the do at all) i have a few loose figures that i think would be grade worthy but havent seen what they do with them yet to decide if its worth it
    here is a link to what the loose graded figures look like. I wonder how they would handle a loose Scrap-Iron ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 82to87Joes
    has anyone sent loose figures in to be graded yet? i was curious how they encase the figures (or if the do at all) i have a few loose figures that i think would be grade worthy but havent seen what they do with them yet to decide if its worth it

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Remember you will never get to touch them again
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Star Wars collectors wouldn't have to deal with this, but what do you do when the oring breaks (and eventually they will all break, it's inevitable)?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    here is a link to what the loose graded figures look like. I wonder how they would handle a loose Scrap-Iron ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

that is a good question, i think i might send one in to see what they do? i may also send in a carded star brigade figure and ask them to open it. i want to see the grade it recieves. i have a few dollars burning holes in my pocket.

to each there own, but like in the rebelscum thread, i cant see why people would buy gradee opened figures for more than they can geta mint in sealed card figure.
    ]

what about the figures that came with plato and the molded armor, would it fit??

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Snake
    Star Wars collectors wouldn't have to deal with this, but what do you do when the oring breaks (and eventually they will all break, it's inevitable)?

Either deal with it being broken or bsut it open, put a new o-ring in and send it in to have it regraded. Either way kind of stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    Either deal with it being broken or bsut it open, put a new o-ring in and send it in to have it regraded. Either way kind of stinks.
    So you'd either be stuck with a graded figure that's no longer in the condition it was when it was graded or you'd have to spend another amount of money (whatever it costs) and crack open the case, fix the oring, and send it back in and hope for the same or better grade? I guess it'd be the same for when the glue on tape gives out... Interesting.

Boy those Star Wars guys really don't like AFA.

better yet what if you replaced an o-ring on a figure and sent it in to be graded and they refuse to grade it because the figure was "tampered" with?
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

Quote Originally Posted by TYPE*S*TOYS
    better yet what if you replaced an o-ring on a figure and sent it in to be graded and they refuse to grade it because the figure was "tampered" with?
    I wondered about that too but I don't know if they could tell - especially if you used an o-ring from another figure and not a new o-ring.

Hey guys,

I agree with the supportive comments for AFA that Zach and "Guts" were making. My sentiments are very very similar to those expressed by these guys. A couple of pages ago the question was asked what credentials AFA could base their claim to be an "authority" on. The answer (in my humble opinion) is: none. All they have is their own claimed experience--not any specific training program that any of us may go and enroll in. We can all merely accept this or not. I happen to accept it.

I know that this is indeed a purely subjective way to grade stuff, but I will say that AFA has consistently graded everything I've gotten from them. The AFA 80's look like other AFA 80's I've seen etc. Thus, the point I think gutstheberserker and bigjohnwoo were making still holds validity--we graded collectors are buying these things for the certainty of the condition they are in. What difference does it make to me if they make the highest grades a 60, 90, 100, or 200? The point (in my way of thinking and which is stated on their webpage) is that an 80 means a card that looks like it came off of a store shelf (and would satisfy most collectors), an 85 looks like it came from a sealed case, and a 90 looks like a premium specimen pulled from a sealed case. To me the actual numerical value is irrelevant--it is what that number correlates to in terms of condition that I am concerned with.

Yes, I do believe that there are inconsistencies in the grading, and that there has been shadiness on the part of the company in admitting who is bankrolling/owning them. However, I still feel that the end result is a positive one for collectors. I am glad to see a brisk ungraded market for those who prefer it, and am glad to see a graded market for the rest of us (minority though we may possibly be).

I should also point out (and I hope some people don't get angry with me for shedding a light on this) that there are some pretty nice 80's (and even 75's) out there at a fraction of the cost of an 85 or 90. I have recently been picking up a few 80's at similar cost to only a couple of 85's.

Anyway. I apologize for being long-winded. Just my two cents.

hmm i like the way the cases look. im a loose collector but fear displaying my figures simply because they are loose. my cats would love to chew on them im sure. i also have nieces and nephews who would love to play with them. because of those risks i keep all my figures in baggies, in a big plastic container under my bed. how nice it would be to be able to display some of my nicer figures and not worry about them getting damaged. sure they make plastic display cases but those arent sealed and they surely dont limit the figures movement. i have several figures that i think would get at least a 90 grade, i plan on keeping them anyways might as well triple their value by having them graded.

think about it, a loose C9.5+ viper v1 will bring $35-40 on ebay, imagine the same figure graded, you would be stupid not to spend the $12 and have it graded

what about a graded loose C9.5+ storm shadow v1?