AFA GRADED GI JOE Discussions

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

AFA graded GI Joe discussions (MOC and loose)

Over the last couple of months I have sent in 40 vintage Joes for grading and not 1 came back with a grade higher than 90 nor a single subgrade higher than 90. I am wondering if I did something to them off since they will not give me a grade over 90. Some of the items I sent in were as perfect as can be (unpunched, no price stickers etc). For anyone else that sends to AFA let me know if you ever got anything back over a 90 in the last 6 months.
    Last edited by dockingbay97; 09-24-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: edited for language
    www.joeparts.com
    check out the largest selection of vintage Joes available on the web

(figures, accessories, filecards, , AFA, trading cards and more)
    KRE-O

Free shipping, International customers welcome
    Pay via paypal, credit cards, check or money order !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

hello
    the highest i ever got was a 90. by the way i won 2 file cards form your ebay store i need a total with shipping on the two.thanks the bazooka file cards

Since doing the subgrades anyone who sends in rarely every gets higher than a 90. The ones you see on ebay are the older ones a lot of times. I sent in some that I thought would have got a 95. I know they use a lot of different techniques so maybe they use some sort of light that shows blemishes we can't see. You have to realize also even factory fresh figures sometimes get 80 grades. I wish they would make a list of what has been sent in and what the grades have been for them.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

you should send it back in under a different name and see if it gets the same grade

I have an AFA 90 Snow Serpent without the subgrades. I notified them and asked them if I send it back to be regraded/recased with the subgrades would it get the same grade. They said no that they generally deduct 5 to 10 points right off the bat which basically means anything graded before the subgrades were introduced are OVERGRADED and items with the subgrades are UNDERGRADED. This all applies unless you are Cloudcity as I am convinced there merchandise is ALL OVERGRADED.

by the way how is this one- I just got back a 1988 Repeater that graded an overall 80 even though the subs were 80,90,90. If I was Cloudcity it would of graded a 85 with those subs !!
    www.joeparts.com

KRE-O

AFA=JOKE

im so glad i will never use there services.

Only items that they will be selling would get higher than a 90. Makes a 95 that much rarer and cuts down on potential competition.

By the way, I have no proof or evidence of this, only my natural cynicism. So take it for what its worth.
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Quote Originally Posted by stad
    Only items that they will be selling would get higher than a 90. Makes a 95 that much rarer and cuts down on potential competition.

By the way, I have no proof or evidence of this, only my natural cynicism. So take it for what its worth.
    Before the 3 subgrades were introduced 95's and 100's were fairly common. Since they are impossible. They should come public and at least admit their grading criteria has changed.
    www.joeparts.com

KRE-O

AFA GRADED results and discussion

I would like to start this thread as a result forum for everyone to post their grades and or pics on figures as they get them back from AFA and overall experiences with them. It would be a good place to see what type of grades are being handed out and try to conclude why a figure received a particular grade. I do not want this to be an AFA bashing thread as a mod will shut it down right away so please if you do not believe in or support AFA just stay away. I for one like the service they provide and the cases alone justify the grading costs.

I just received back the following figs:

AFA 90 (90,90,90) 1988 Shockwave (unpunched) serial #3951383
    AFA 90 (90,85,90) 1988 Iron Grenadier serial #8082295
    AFA 80 (80,85,85) 1988 Blizzard serial #3684798
    AFA 80 (80,85,90) 1987 Law & Order (EXPLOSION BACK!) serial #7388426

Overall I was happy with 2 of the 4. I thought the Blizzard should of received an overall of 85 as most with 80,85,85 get an overall of 85. Reason for the 80 on the card is a very small inch long crease on the upper right. I am really dissapointed on my Law & Order as I thought it was a shoe in for an 85. It has a tiny water spot on the front. It also has a Toys R Us sticker NOT neatly placed on the front that may be detracting the grade. I always thought they did not deduct for price stickers but no one seems to know for sure.
    www.joeparts.com

KRE-O

Keep it civilized

Anyone who reads my posts know that I am no fan of AFA. I also have a list of reasons why I think there is more or less something shady going on there.

But as much as a fan I am not of them - please keep it civilized when talking about them.

We can do better than AFA sucks
    or
    People who get stuff AFA'ed suck.

If you have a point of view from either side, express your opinion but try to show us some reasoning why you feel that way.

As I have listed my reasons against several times, I will refrain myself - for now.

The cases are pretty nice though.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal