Comic Cancellation and Reboot RUMOR - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If GI Joe continues to be the main focus of the comic I will NEVER quit reading it regardless of whatever decisions Blaylock makes. I actually did not "proudly proclaim" that I would drop the title if certain changes were made that I didn't approve of--but I stand by what some of the fans are saying. Remember when Hama "killed" Cobra Commander around issue 61 of the Marvel series? Did that go over very well? No it didn't, and he was eventually forced to "resurrect" him in issue 100 for the health of the comic series and for the fans. The "Fred CC" in battle armor didn't cause me to quit reading the mag but readership definitely dropped because people want to see their favorite characters in the story and when those favorite characters are gone there is something intangible that is just...missing. The readership of the Marvel comic went back up after issue 100 didn't it?

I am not trying to just bash DDP and complain about them. I am with you on support of alot of what Blaylock has done. Master and Apprentice, Frontline, Reloaded, and the Players and Pawns arc etc were all EXCELLENT stories. I am 25 now and the stories of my childhood would need a little polishing to keep me interested. The writers at DDP have done that admirably well so far (in my opinion) with a few things I don't like (and as for those? well, no one is happy with everything are they?) Most notable on what I don't like is just that I want MORE GI Joe comics released every month! Hence my earlier suggestions on what else could be written about.

Okay, sorry to be so long winded and back to my point. I think that major revisions (such as continually killing off major characters) is a mistake in the long run and I think that diminishing Cobra to a secondary role behind another terrorrist organization is not a great idea (if these are indeed some of the changes that DDP is planning--remember, this is all still rumor). Keep in mind that I am an avid reader of DDP comics and that as a fan I just don't want to see drastic changes made to my all-time favorite set of characters and stories--and to quote myself earlier: "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

More rumors??!! Achh! I wish somebody, ie...Brandon or Josh would just set this whole thing straight.

From the latest update:

"But the decision to go to a new continuity has been scrapped. The new #1 will, however, not be led by the previous continuity. The new team, led by General Rey, will be small in number and all wear standard uniforms."

That isn't G.I.Joe, it's a just a story about a bunch of guys in army fatigues who are led by some cheeseball replacement.

Part of what makes G.I.Joe so great is it's other-worldliness, unique outfits and cool gear. If I wanted gritty and realistic, I'll turn on the evening news.

I'm also not a big fan of this Rey guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's just filling in until Hawk get's his act together.

Anyway, I'm not lending a wole lot of credence to this rumor or the others, it's just driving me crazy cuz none of the people who know are debunking any of these rumors. I also doubt Hasbro would keep the G.I.Joe brand name ona comic that ahd nothing whatsoever to do with the toy line.

Anyway, if nothing esle, I guess we'll find out after issue 45.
    Looking for blueprints for Battle Wagon.

I added some more rumors to the rumor page I made, including mentions of GI Joe Extreme and Sgt. Savage.

http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/05/comicrumors.shtml

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

aside from this rumor and that rumor does anybody out there have any kind of summary as to what is actually happening for sure?

my personal opinion is its fine the way it is leave it alone

There are people on various JOE forums right NOW, boasting that they don't read the comic (and never have done!) and yet they are, in the same post, saying the new book is "crap" and "deserves cancelling" or that these rumours are "bad ideas".
    First off, why do they care? Second, for them to consider these rumours to be "bad ideas", the current book must be of some value to them in the first place (But they've already stated the exact opposite - That they think the book is rubbish).
    why is EVERYONE getting so worked up over rumours anyway (apart from those who are yet again using heresay to re-ignite their bashing of Josh Blaylock and Bradon Jerwa - Their reason is obvious)? Given the snide way in which a lot of these rumors are phrased at source, I get the impression that the instigator has a thing against GI JOE and would probably love to see it undermined - If so, everyone is playing into his hands.

Finally, it's unlikely Hasbro would ALLOW DD to make such radical changes unless the toy line planned to follow suit. If so then it's a case of "Que Sera Sera"
    Josh has publicly said that a load of rubbish is circulating right now, and I am quite happy to wait and see what happens. Then and only then will I evaluate whatever emerges and make up my own mind.

If Baroness dies, THAT is rubbish. Whoever made that decision does not have the future of the Joe vs. Cobra universe in mind. She is too key to Cobra. It would be like offing Scarlett. What are little kids going to think when one of the most visible 4 characters of Cobra dies? And a pregnant woman at that? Cobra is CC, Destro, Baroness, and Storm Shadow.

This is not a way to draw in new young readers. I know my 7 year old son is years away from being allowed to read these comics. He is a voracious reader, and I had hoped to start him on the DD series in a year or so. If a pregnant Baroness is killed, no chance. We will stick with the Marvel comics and other toy-focused products, like the insert comics and the yearly DVDs.

Please, please rethink the death of Baroness.
    Bryon

I have no problem with characters dying. they did in the marvel comics i grew up with. I would like to see baroness live.. i think Cobra Commander will die again.

I like the new Cobra Commander. He is being far more aggressive, physical, and cunning than he was in the original series (especially compared to the cartoon)--this Players and Pawns arc has really put him at center stage and established him as the leader he is. Props to DDP for that...but Baroness has been the second-in-command (more or less) of Cobra since issue #1. C'mon DDP writer guys. Realism is good to a point--but it is a comic. Like I said earlier...blind faith is tough, but I'm still hanging in there, and yes, I know everything is still rumor at this point. I trust that as new facts or remarks from the powers-that-be of DDP are released we'll get to hear about them here.

"your wrong hawk,i've beaten them all, Serpentor,Dr mindbender,Destro, they're all gone now."

CC can't lose
    I just can't see cobra being taken out by
    "the red shadows"
    cobra is cobra
    you can;t beat cobra its just not right
    cobra can;t be beaten just like that
    how you gonna beat guys like zartan and the noks
    or assassins like wraith and firefly
    you would never even see wraith and just die ,
    badly
    how can these red shadows guys beat firefly
    nobody beats firefly
    i don;t like this one bit
    zartan has a whole personal army
    and not to mention how bad ***** the man is himself
    I just can't believe whats going around
    on the net
    if this all goes bad and the worst happens
    SS or SE bites it
    i may just have to hang myself in protest

one thing i always wanted to see
    and this is just me by the way
    was a scrap between destro and serpentor
    prolly never see that now...

Patience is a virtue.

Well for my 2 cents. I'm going to wait to see what happens. As far as a new adversary coming to the forefront, that's a cool possibility. I mean C,mon...it's not like Cobra has a monopoly for the world of terrorism. I'm actually pretty intrigued by the prospect of some "fresh blood".

I think Brandon Jerwa is doing great as a writer. I don't think we need to see every single character from the GI Joe universe crammed into a couple of issues. Too many people want to see their favorites. It doesn't work to incorporate everyone into the comics because there is just TOO MANY of them.

A Cobra female agent will die. Hmmmm Seems like all fingers are pointing to the Baroness. Frankly, I really wouldn't mind seeing her killed. Because in the back of my mind...she's going to be resurrected. But...hey if we want more realism in GI Joe...somebody has got to go. And not just B rated characters.

Will it effect my buying of the comic....no unless the comic itself is cancelled....then...well...there goes my readership.

Mr Rage
    "...I am that dog, I am that monster, I am that post-industrial post modern crypto-fascist politically incorrect male cocka-rocka warpig, praise Jesus..." - Kurtz