A new scale of Joes!? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I doubt that the 12" will completely end. Those collectors take their figs even more seriously than we do!

As far as a new scale, like GI Trekker said, there was Super Joe in the '70s and Savage & Extreme in the '90s. None of them did very well, but it's been awhile, & it's time for Hasbro to test the waters again. I don't expect it to replace the 3¾" line, it'll probably get decent attention when it's released, then spend a year or 2 fading away, just like the previous odd scales. But who knows?

Maybe it will take some of the focus off of our 3¾" line, but so what? In November (I think) there was a thread saying that there were 197 figs released in 2004. 197! I'd be just as happy if the number was in the 50-75 range, & with numbers like this, I don't think we have too much to worry about by some experimental competition.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Willard Ohio, home of Seattle Seahawks QB Charlie Frye
    Hasbro repeating the mistakes of the past.

It'll be a miracle if the line survives 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    I doubt that the 12" will completely end. Those collectors take their figs even more seriously than we do!

As far as a new scale, like GI Trekker said, there was Super Joe in the '70s and Savage & Extreme in the '90s. None of them did very well, but it's been awhile, & it's time for Hasbro to test the waters again. I don't expect it to replace the 3¾" line, it'll probably get decent attention when it's released, then spend a year or 2 fading away, just like the previous odd scales. But who knows?

Maybe it will take some of the focus off of our 3¾" line, but so what? In November (I think) there was a thread saying that there were 197 figs released in 2004. 197! I'd be just as happy if the number was in the 50-75 range, & with numbers like this, I don't think we have too much to worry about by some experimental competition.

I think you may be underestimating the costs involved in designing, creating new molds, and marketing an entirely new line of figures and vehicles.

Hasbro had to kill the 3-3/4" line in the 1990s, to launch new figures, and it's entirely reasonable that they would have to do it again, especially since the market today is far more hostile to traditional toys than it was even 10 years ago.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't know why there is this panic that 3 3/4 is ending. A new scaled line would not replace 3 3/4. I think it is meant to suppliment the brand and give collectors another option.

And as a supplimental line you the consumer can decide the future of it based on your purchasing dollars.

Do I want 500-600 figures in this scale? No but I would buy a dozen or so.

I see this as a chance for increased articulation and detail for certain figures.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

all they want is money ..all your money...

I have to say we don't need another size change in G.I.JOE...its bad enough trying to get the new legends line rigth will all the scalpers and dealers...now hasbro wants to do this supposed 6-inch line why man ..why...it was a nice thing at last years convention...but not worth making new sizes of these figures...PLEASE HASBRO STOP RE-INVENTING THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!!
    Persistence will get you everything...
    as long as you have a sense order in the universe.
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by flash70
    I have to say we don't need another size change in G.I.JOE...its bad enough trying to get the new legends line rigth will all the scalpers and dealers...now hasbro wants to do this supposed 6-inch line why man ..why...it was a nice thing at last years convention...but not worth making new sizes of these figures...PLEASE HASBRO STOP RE-INVENTING THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!!
    Why so much anger? No one is going to make you buy a new scale. You can still just stick to 3 3/4.

And until we start getting photos of these, it is too early for such negative reactions. I mean we don't even know yet what is going on officially.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Every time Hasbro tries this, it backfires. When are they going to realize that they can't mess with the best!

Anyway, I'm not losing it yet. Aren't sales for the 3 3/4 up lately? If Hasbro cuts down the number of figures they're puting out for our favorite scale, I say thanks! Who needs a bunch of extra Dukes! Trim the fat and make the line lean and mean with nothing but the good stuff.

If Hasbro wants to do a new scale, fine. If they want to waste their money, that's their deal. So long as they don't cancel the 3 3/4 line completely, we'll survive any temporary trouble.

Don't panic folks. We will survive and we will be victorious!

Richard J.

Thumbs up ?

I agree somewhat, to slowly migrate the 3-3/4 line and dedicate to a larger line would be not cool(if that were the scenario). But i wouldn't mind having something like the starwars line, you know having the "unleashed" and the smaller line coexist with each other. It works for them, why not with ARAH?

Its sad if they put the 12 inch joe aside. I mean the original joe was 12 inch. I collect both scale. I grew up wwith the small joes and I'd be sad to see them bigger. Sure I'd still buy my favorite characters but it wouldnt be the same. What about all the vehicules? bigger isnt better.

As for the 12 incher... man why kill the classic? I know with dragon, bbi and all those company that do 1/6 scale the competition is fierce but man! its Gi Joe we're talking about, the original!!

Keep joe alive!!!

Boys, boys (and girls, girls), it's not time to panic yet. Which scale of RAH-mythos figures just got cancelled? That's right, the 1/6 figures. Hasbro is probably looking for a replacement for those, not for our beloved 1/18 scale. There's no need to panic just because someone mentioned the new line would have "vehicles and playsets": the 1/6 figures had vehicles too!

I've seen people in this thread assuming that these are going to be 6" figures because Trekker hypothesized that. Since it was the 1/6 line that just got cancelled, I suspect Hasbro is actually looking for a smaller scale in which to do figures with real clothing, which is the main difference between 3 3/4-7" and 8-12" action figures now that figures as small as Joes have become hyper-articulated with lines like Mobile Suits in Action, the new Microman, and the upcoming 4" Marvel Legends.

There is no reason a franchise can't support a line of small figures and a line of larger ones. RAH did it in 1992-1994 and again in 2002-2004. Star Wars did it twice, Toy Biz did it with Famous Covers, and so forth. If Hasbro representatives start talking about 6" Joes, then it will be time to worry.