A new scale of Joes!? - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I hear they are bringing back GI Joe, but get this . . . he is going to only be 3 3/4 inches tall and might even be a girl!

Hasbro has some crazy idea about making these tiny figures and giving them each distinct personalities and specialties, even make some female figures! When will they learn not to miss with the original idea? Don't they know we like Joe the size that he has always been for the last 20 years and isn't half the fun making up your own personality for your Joe? This new line isn't going to last one wave!

Ghost X circa February 1982
    "The scriveners and scribblers are not the keepers of the canon, the audience is. If the public doesn't like it, they blot it out of the collective consciousness, and make it go away"

Larry Hama, Snake Eyes Deconstructed (March, 2006)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Willard Ohio, home of Seattle Seahawks QB Charlie Frye
    All I have to say is:

Sgt. Savage
    AND
    G.I. Joe Extreme

Has Hasbro learned from the mistakes of the past?

More than likely not.

That's my main concern, too. The amount of money that Hasbro MUST put into this new scale line will be considerable. Now, maybe it'll come from what they WOULD'VE put into the 12" line, but I still think the 3-3/4" Joes are going to get short shrift this year.

Now, I was told a while back by a Hasbro representative that the 2005 line is IN PLACE, and as far ahead as toys have to be prepared I am inclined to believe that, and the only thing that could derail it is poor sales, which I don't think has been the case.

BUT -- that doesn't mean this new-scale line isn't going to get a huge push, and the 3-3/4" Joes are likely to suffer.

Best case scenario -- either the stores don't want this new scale, or it's clearance aisle bait as soon as it shows up, and vanishes from memory as quickly as possible.

Worst case scenario -- it's 1995 all over again, and Hasbro is determined to push this thing at the expense of everything else.

I won't advise panic -- yet. But I will advise concern. There's just too much potential, ESPECIALLY in the comic sets in my opinion, to let the 3-3/4" Joes get treated like this. But let's see what Toy Fair reveals.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't see how this could be 1995 all over again. The Kenner acquisition meant there was a motive within the company to destroy RAH. There's no comparable situation now, one would have to create a conspiracy theory that the people in charge of the GI Joe brand want to ruin it.

Is anyone willing to be that we won't see at least 5 waves of 5 sets each (50 figures in the 2-pack format) for the 1:18 scale Joes this year, plus 10-20 vehicles (not counting the little Adventure Pack ones)? Maybe the comic packs will get axed, but the TRU 6-packs will be safe this year as long as TRU wants more.

So yeah, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see at least 50 new and repainted 3 3/4" Joes this year the new line, though perhaps as few as 30 if Hasbro suddenly shifts to single-carded figures for the main waves, single-carded reissues and repaints, at least 10 Alpha/Bravo/Delta vehicles, and a few more TRU vintage 6-packs (say minimum of 3, counting the upcoming Tomax and Xamot sets as 1).

I think a lot of people need to take a step back and realize this is just a RUMOR. Does anyone have any concrete information about any of this that can be confirmed? I didn't think so. For all we know, none of this will happen and things will continue on as is.

IF the entire 12" was canceled, I would be puzzled because there are a lot of 12" collectors out there. I understand canceling the RAH 12" figures because for the most part, they wern't very good. Cancelling the regular 12" line that contained figures with the authentic unforms just doesn't make any sense which is why I will not believe any part of this rumor until it can be confirmed.

IF they did make a RAH line in another scale, I wouldn't buy it. Nothing can top the 3-3/4" line as far as I am concerned.

Damn Ghost X, That was well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    I don't know why there is this panic that 3 3/4 is ending. .
    Agreed!

The 3 3/4 line didn't end in the 90's because Hasbro was "wasting money" on the Extreme or Sgt Savage guys. I'm no business major, but I don't think Hasbro has a "GI Joe" pool of money that they can only draw a certain amount form. They're a toy company. A new Joe line probably won't effect the 3 3/4 line any more than if they decided to produce a new line of dolls or stuffed animals. If 3 3/4 keeps showing a profit, we'll probably still keep getting them.

As for the new line...who knows what it's actually going to be. Personally, I buy the 3 3/4 guys because I loved them from my child hood. Not the 12 inch guys, not whatever this new line is. If they turn out to be good toys, GREAT. If not, I won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost X
    I hear they are bringing back GI Joe, but get this . . . he is going to only be 3 3/4 inches tall and might even be a girl!

Hasbro has some crazy idea about making these tiny figures and giving them each distinct personalities and specialties, even make some female figures! When will they learn not to miss with the original idea? Don't they know we like Joe the size that he has always been for the last 20 years and isn't half the fun making up your own personality for your Joe? This new line isn't going to last one wave!

Ghost X circa February 1982

Nice.......

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91
    I think a lot of people need to take a step back and realize this is just a RUMOR. Does anyone have any concrete information about any of this that can be confirmed? I didn't think so. For all we know, none of this will happen and things will continue on as is.
    Before Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia and Poland, those intentions were just rumors too.

What I'm saying is that it pays to be vigilant. If Hasbro's shareholders think they could make more money by starting a new line and axeing the 3-3/4" line, they would do it in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; 02-17-2005 at 06:50 PM.

I would hate to see the 3' 3/4" figures be affected. I can see why they would want to make slightly larger figures though.
    Last edited by tdutton17; 02-17-2005 at 06:58 PM.