A new scale of Joes!?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs down A new scale of Joes!?

Friend of mine sent me the following Toy Fair related information:

"Word has broken that the 12" GI Joe has been "retired", and that a new scale will be introduced later this year with vehicles and playsets. This is a huge bummer, but not unexpected--I'd been told that we might only see one or two 12" figures this year anyway. However, I don't know what this means for the 3 3/4" guys."

Okay, I feel badly for the 12" Joes, but this isn't surprising, nor is it my main concern. That line about "vehicles and playsets" worries me, since this sort of tells me that this "new scale" might be more of a threat to the 3-3/4" line. I have no idea what this new scale might be, but 6" Marvel-Legendsish wouldn't surprise me.

What worries me is, indeed, what this means for the 3-3/4" guys. I don't want to see this affect the comic sets or the TRU 6-packs.

And really, is this a good idea? This has NEVER worked. Super Joe, Sgt. Savage, G.I.Joe Extreme -- none of them lasted. And I can't imagine a large percentage of ANY G.I.Joe collectors wanting to start yet ANOTHER scale of G.I.Joe from scratch. I certainly don't, I don't care how cool it looks or how well it's made.

This is NOT a good idea, and I am very worried as to what it might mean for the Real American Hero.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You know Im not surprised either. I mean who wants to buy GI Joe figures w/ molded on shirts and maskes and such. I know I dont, atleast in the 12' line. But I dont collect them so it doesnt really bother me that much.
    Am I worried about the 3 3/4" line. Not really. I think it will probably be a 6" or 8" line that will have its own universe. They will be more expensive than the 3 3/4" line and that will make parents hesitant. They will just make the 3 3/4" line more appealing. But I know they will get the push and not the 3 3/4" line. We may fall to the wayside.
    Parts needed --- buy or trade!!
    Night Striker -- vertical veins & horizontal veins
    Dreadnok stinger -- Drivers door
    CAT -- gun tip, battery cover

Toy Fair

Will be at Toy Fair this weekend, with a Hasbro appointment on Mon. at 11:00 a.m. Will have news for the site by then.

-- MWB

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They have been wanting to do a Marvel Legend-ish type of figure line for a couple of years.

I would totally be fine with that. I would buy a few.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Thumbs up

That being said, wouldn't it be cool though to have a marvel legends style(done with great detail) and set them up like statues, which have become really popluar these days?

I think this would take some pressure off of the 3 3/4" line. So many people want a restarted continuity while I do not. The ninja Battles DVD already hinted at that, which is something I wasn't happy with.

Perhaps if a new toyline could co-exist I would be okay with it. But I certainly won't be dedicating myself to buying them.

Willard Ohio, home of Seattle Seahawks QB Charlie Frye
    I have a VERY bad feeling about this.........

i'd buy them if they're at a reasonable price. But if hasbro does away with 3 3/4 line or doesn't produce them as much, i'm gonna really know how stupid toy company people really are.
    "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody walked over your grave" "I'm your huckleberry" - Doc Holiday, Tombstone

I have a feeling it's going to be a Marvel Legends type of line myself. And I'm worried. I feel badly for 12" collectors who are going to get almost completely shafted this year, but what happens to us?

And consider this -- vehicles and playsets? Not even Marvel Legends does those. Hasbro is looking at a HUGE outlay of money to basically create an all-new G.I.Joe line from scratch. That's a massive gamble, and I think it's a mistake.

Between the probable price tags of these figures and the physical space needed, I have NO interest in this.

So what happens to the Real American Hero? Let's assume this new line uses the same characters. What happens, then, to the Comic/Figure Sets, the TRU 6-Packs, or even Valor vs. Venom? It's going to get downplayed, and that's not a good thing.

Deogg's not the only one who has a very bad feeling about this, and Mr. Bellomo, any information you can relate about this, OR Hasbro's plans for the 3-3/4" line, would be immensely appreciated.

The friend who reported this news to me is also predicting that this year's convention is likely to be something of a catharsis towards Hasbro on the part of ALL the collectors if this sort of thing keeps up. Probably just as well I can't afford to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Deogg
    I have a VERY bad feeling about this.........

Same here.

This is NOT good news for 3-3/4" collectors/fans.

If Hasbro is going to be pouring money into a new line of molds and vehicles, they ARE not going to give the 3-3/4" line the promotion, advertising, and attention it would get otherwise.

And even worse, this sounds like an attempt by Hasbro to consolidate the 3-3/4" and 12" lines into one, thus killing of both the 12" line (which had decreasing sales) and the 3-3/4" line (which no doubt sell for less $$$ than these new, larger figures would).

It sounds like greed on Hasbro's part could very well kill our line again.

We all need to remind them of the failure of GIJoe Extreme and Sgt. Savage!!!!!
    Last edited by Agent Orange; 02-17-2005 at 02:50 PM.