Cobra Commander facts

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cobra Commander facts

In the comic book continuity, what all do we know about the life of the man known as the original Cobra Commander prior to GI Joe v1 #1? In his early adult life, he was a used car salesman. His big brother Dan served in the Vietnam conflict and kept signing up for additional tours to keep his brother from being drafted. One can speculate that this suggests the future CC was around 18 years old circa 1965, narrowing the period of his birth down to the mid-to-late '40s, which seems reasonable as it would make his brother Dan one of the earliest Baby Boomers. Since when Dan killed Snake Eyes' parents and twin sister, Snake Eyes had no one to turn to except Tommy Arashikage, Stalker was presumably still in Vietnam and thus the tragedy had to have occured prior to January 15, 1973 for Snake Eyes to feel this way. Larry Hama implied that the future CC was married prior to the tragedy, and indeed this would explain the timing of Dan's return to the United States, since married status was a draft exemption during the Vietnam conflict. Thus it seems to me that we can infer the following:

1) The future CC was the second of two sons born to a middle-class American couple in the mid-to-late 1940s.
    2) In his early adult life, he was a used car salesman.
    3) He was married no later than 1972, probably prior to his 26th birthday (the draft applied to young men 18-25).

Well, fans of the Marvel comic know what happened next: the future CC went bonkers, blamed Snake Eyes for his brother's death, and secretly spent his family's savings hiring not one but two assassins to murder him in Japan. When Mrs. Snake discovered what he had done, she confronted him and he walked out on her, taking their young son William with him. He blamed the death of his brother and the failure of his business on a conspiracy between big government and big business to form a plutocracy where the the life of the "little guy" was expendable and slowly building a criminal organization that would grow into the paramilitary terrorist army Cobra!

So I think we know or can infer the facts above, but there are two big questions I have about CC in the Marvel continuity:

1) What clues are there to his real name? After Cobra Commander and Destro led an attack on the Pit and Generals Abernathy and Hollingsworth collapsed it on them, they escaped using an earthboring machine and stole a car. When they were pulled over by a State Trooper, CC had his "real driver's license" and the trooper recognized his "unpronouncable" last name as the same as Billy's. Since CC is clearly portrayed as Caucasian, would it be reasonable to narrow his ethnic background down to European groups whose surnames can be difficult for a typical American to pronounce based on how they're written? Have there ever been any hints to his first name, including the Devil's Due series?

2) Assuming that GI Joe #10 took place in 1983, can we narrow down the year of Billy's birth?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rotty
    Larry Hama implied that the future CC was married prior to the tragedy, and indeed this would explain the timing of Dan's return to the United States, since married status was a draft exemption during the Vietnam conflict.
    When did this come about? My father was married in '66 before he was drafted to go to vietnam in '68.

How old do you think Billy was in issue 10? Looks to me they would have had him shortly after they got married as he seems close to 10 years old then.
    Last edited by sinnister; 03-01-2005 at 04:28 AM.
    Sinnister

The master race is made of plastic and only 3 3/4 inches tall

WANT LIST

I am not sure we can presume Stalker was still in Vietnam at the time of Snake-Eyes' return, so that date you gave may not be quite accurate. In issue #10, Dr. Venom uncovers a memory Snake-Eyes has of "the last helicopter leaving Saigon." This leads me to believe that perhaps Snake-Eyes was among the very last soldiers to leave. Would you agree? The other information you posted is all correct.

The state trooper confronting Cobra Commander and Destro in mufti occured in issue #55, I believe. One of my favorite issues!

The only other Commander name clues period come from DDP's new Master and Apprentice II. It is basically a reference to the surname "Kessler" for Billy when Storm Shadow introduces him. I think that this is most likely a counterfeit name to protect Billy's true identity. Or DDP goofed.

Otherwise, Cobra Commander's name was and is a mystery.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's hard to track down the main snake!!

Cobra Commander's real name is Marcus Kassels. He later became Baron IronBlood, the most sinister villian to vex planet earth... that is, until Action Force stopped him. When he disappeared into hiding, he changed his face and his i.d. and became... Cobra Commander! Duh! Duh! Duh!
    (Man, I wish that www.bloodforthebaron.com was still up. Then you guys could look all of this "alternate reality" info. up! )

Quote Originally Posted by sinnister
    When did this come about? My father was married in '66 before he was drafted to go to vietnam in '68.
    Truth be told, I just got that off the Wikipedia Vietnam War article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War ). "In order to gain an exemption or deferment many men obtained student deferments by attending college, though they would have to remain in college until their 26th birthday to be certain of avoiding the draft. Some got married, which remained an exemption throughout the war." That should teach me to trust Wiki as a source. Do you want to edit that, since you're the one with firsthand knowledge that it's not factual?

Quote Originally Posted by sinnister
    How old do you think Billy was in issue 10? Looks to me they would have had him shortly after they got married as he seems close to 10 years old then.
    That sounds about right. Billy's age is a problematic point in the timeline, as kids in comics usually are. He had to be a toddler by the time CC walked out on Mrs. Snake, at least 9 or 10 when we first meet him in #10, and a couple years older than that when he gets his cybernetic leg from Fred VII (he's spent a year in a coma according to the State Trooper in #55). Then Devil's Due came along and established that CC had to have been shot by Fred about 13 years before v2 #22 (Mindbender was buried alive in the freighter "ten years ago", and we know CC spent "a few years" building his assets incognito between having his life saved by Fred VIII and returning to Cobra Island), yet Billy certainly doesn't appear to be 24+ in v2 #20! If not for his Devil's Due appearances, I'd peg his year of birth as '74, giving CC half a dozen years to build up Cobra before '82 after walking out with his 2-year-old son.

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06
    I am not sure we can presume Stalker was still in Vietnam at the time of Snake-Eyes' return, so that date you gave may not be quite accurate. In issue #10, Dr. Venom uncovers a memory Snake-Eyes has of "the last helicopter leaving Saigon." This leads me to believe that perhaps Snake-Eyes was among the very last soldiers to leave. Would you agree? The other information you posted is all correct.
    Ooh, you make an excellent point, Dan! The LRRP unit Snake Eyes, Stalker, Tommy, and Wade were in couldn't have been operating after March 1973. Maybe they got there "for the last six months of the conflict" like Mainframe did, Wade was captured by Viet Cong, Tommy was sent home to serve out the last seven months of his tour, and Snake Eyes and Stalker remained behind until the last helicopter left Saigon? If SE and Lonzo were still there and Tommy had gone back to Japan, it makes sense that Wade could be released from the POW camp, come home in late '73 or '74, and have no friends to turn to afrer being met by a lawyer instead of his wife.

If we go with this "last six months" thing for the LRRP unit, we can pin Snake Eyes, Lonzo, and Tommy to being born as late as 1954, which I would argue makes them no older than their mid-40s in the Devil's Due run (see Billy's age for why I think of it being in the recent past rather than the present).

The state trooper confronting Cobra Commander and Destro in mufti occured in issue #55, I believe. One of my favorite issues!
    You have excellent taste!

The only other Commander name clues period come from DDP's new Master and Apprentice II. It is basically a reference to the surname "Kessler" for Billy when Storm Shadow introduces him. I think that this is most likely a counterfeit name to protect Billy's true identity. Or DDP goofed.

Otherwise, Cobra Commander's name was and is a mystery.
    "Kessler" sounds like a last name of German origin, which doesn't fit the "unusual last name" bit. It must be either his mother's maiden name, or just an alias.

Quote Originally Posted by seaneley
    Cobra Commander's real name is Marcus Kassels. He later became Baron IronBlood, the most sinister villian to vex planet earth... that is, until Action Force stopped him. When he disappeared into hiding, he changed his face and his i.d. and became... Cobra Commander! Duh! Duh! Duh!
    (Man, I wish that www.bloodforthebaron.com was still up. Then you guys could look all of this "alternate reality" info. up! )
    I was wondering if someone would mention Cobra Commander's Action Force origin. By my count, this makes a total of four different CCs: Dan Unpronouncable's little brother, the undercover Cobra-La nobleman, Marcus Kassels, and Fred Broca VII. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotty
    Truth be told, I just got that off the Wikipedia Vietnam War article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War ). "In order to gain an exemption or deferment many men obtained student deferments by attending college, though they would have to remain in college until their 26th birthday to be certain of avoiding the draft. Some got married, which remained an exemption throughout the war." That should teach me to trust Wiki as a source. Do you want to edit that, since you're the one with firsthand knowledge that it's not factual?
    hehe I'm not saying it's factual or not! I just know my father was born in '47. Married in '66, drafted in '68, home in '70 (1.5 tours...second cut short due to 3 bullet wounds), Divorce was filed in 69 by his first wife...finalized when he got home in '70. Got married again (to my mother).
    Sinnister

The master race is made of plastic and only 3 3/4 inches tall

WANT LIST

I always felt that Dan was in fact Cobra Commander,just that he was pychotic with a multiple personalities caused by trauma in Vietnam.This would also explain Cobra Commander's military like personality,training along with his skills as a combatant.

I think his son was born around 1976 or 1977.