"Old Heroes Never Die"

yojoe.com

"Old Heroes Never Die"

Anybody seen this cartoon? Sounds like it was carded with Commando Sgt. Savage, any idea if it is available on the net anywhere? Or, anyone going to the con, can you bring a copy along then? I'm not trying to find one to keep (unless it's really good), but I would like to see it.
    pic
    description
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Old Soldiers Never Die

Yup, this was packaged with the Commando Sgt. Savage figure as a way of setting up the Sgt. Savage universe. For some reason, the title on the outside of the box is "Old Soldiers Never Die" but the title card for the episode is "Old Heros Never Die". No clue why.

I got my copy of the video loose on Ebay for like, a dollar + shipping and handling (which was like 3 bucks, go figure). You can sometimes find copies that are with the figures for four or five bucks, depending. Really, the video itself is so cheap it's worth picking up even for a just to see copy and then passing on to a younger relative or your local children's library or whathaveyou if you don't want it.

The episode itself is, if you ask me, pretty sweet and it's a darn shame they didn't do more of them -- not to mention it would have been nice to have seen all the SCreaming Eagles released (or at least given file cards, dangit). I did a review of the episode for my site, and you can find that here:

WARNING! The following review is basically a description of what happens in the entire episode. To say it is chockablock with spoilers is to...well, pretty much describe the review. Click at your own risk!

http://www.geocities.com/kepulver/mu...gtsavage2.html

Kathy

Oddly enough I just watched this again last week.
    It's not bad.. but it's not good. It lacks charm but is heavy on atmosphere.
    The guy who did Wolverine on the X-men cartoon does Savage.

Blonde Lady Jay in blue is kind of weird. Doc and Hawk look really cool in it.

It is sort of confusing... Is the Iron Army robots? or Dudes in armor suits?
    I like that they worked Cobra Commander into it.

The animation style was such that all the Screaming Eagle characters looked the same.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oddly enough I just watched this again last week.
    It's not bad.. but it's not good. It lacks charm but is heavy on atmosphere.
    The guy who did Wolverine on the X-men cartoon does Savage.

I dunno, I thought it had charm -- particularly the bits where Savage is writing in his journal and the basketball game between him and the Eagles. Then again, I also liked the 'Dirty Dozen' feel to the Eagles.

That, I'll agree with you on. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure and I can't remember what the toys said, but I remember watching the episode and being surprised by the sheer violence of the fights between the Eagles and the Iron Army troopers. I'm assuming they *had* to be robots since Hasbro had at the time a more or less standing rule that the consequences of violence couldn't be shown in their cartoons so ripping apart real people would be a big 'no-no'.

I like that they worked Cobra Commander into it.

Me too. Damn shame Chris Latta wasn't still alive, but Scot O'Neil (IIRC, that's who it was) did an excellent job on the voice.

The animation style was such that all the Screaming Eagle characters looked the same.

Again, here I have to beg to differ. While I'll grant that the Eagles all look alike in the sense that they're all big, muscular guys (who if they were baseball players would be testifying before Congress right now), I can tell them apart. Headbanger and Dynamite, for instance, don't look similar. One's a long-haired hippy-esqe metalhead and the other's a short Latino. D-Day and Tank, I'm drawing a blank on but as I remember it, Tank was the blond guy and D-Day was...okay, maybe I need to concede them until I watch the episode again. Mouse is the big bald quiet guy and Grill is...well, Grill's the team's black guy so he's pretty easy to pick out of the group. (And I wish I had screengrabs or something to help illustrate who's who...chalk another one up to the "some day" list.) I've had more trouble telling some of the Sunbow-era Joes apart, like Clutch and Breaker (though, usually Breaker blows a bubble and I know who he is).

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by kepulver

That, I'll agree with you on. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure and I can't remember what the toys said, but I remember watching the episode and being surprised by the sheer violence of the fights between the Eagles and the Iron Army troopers. I'm assuming they *had* to be robots since Hasbro had at the time a more or less standing rule that the consequences of violence couldn't be shown in their cartoons so ripping apart real people would be a big 'no-no'.
    The IRON Stormtrooper file card, which you can read at http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/95/ironstormtrooper.shtml , has Sgt. Savage referring to them thusly: "They tell me they're enemy soldiers, defrosted from the '40s like me, yet 35% of their bodies were cybernetically enhanced to form futuristic fighting machines!" Yet in your synopsis of the cartoon, Blitz speaks to them like they're an underground group of neo-Nazis, ala Hydra from Marvel Comics. Indeed, the cartoon sounds a lot like GI Joe "in the Mighty Marvel Manner!", with a revived WWII hero leading a group of misfits against an underground fascist army.

Oh yeah I am surprised MArvel didn't sue. Savage is blatantly a rip off of Cap.