How many Pimp Daddy Destros are there? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I know at least one of them is destroyed. About a year ago, a friend of mine was inquring as to my joe collection, and was asking how mine stood up to what was out there, and I was showing him some of the stuff that was out there. I decided to show him what I consider to be the rarest US figure, the PDD. Before I even tell him that it's rare, he says that his nephew had that figure down in Georgia; he was a little kid, so to make a long story short, you can add/subtract 1 from everyones total.
    Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.
    Always on the hunt for international joes, esp early Funskool and (joe)Action Force Stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Anyone have a link to a picture of this fig?
    Sinnister

The master race is made of plastic and only 3 3/4 inches tall

WANT LIST

Before I even tell him that it's rare, he says that his nephew had that figure down in Georgia; he was a little kid, so to make a long story short, you can add/subtract 1 from everyones total.
    I liken these stories to those of all the people out there who swore up and down that they got a rocket firing Boba Fett in the mail during the pre-ESB days. Lots of people remember getting one, but none of them have them anymore.

My feeling is that there aren't very many PDD's out there. There are more than people probably might think as many change hands very quietly. But, there still aren't enough to affect the price of one in the open market. I would say it is possible that one or two PDD's slipped out to retail, but not in enough concentration for the multitude of stories about them to be accurrate.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I remember seing a picture of someone at a con or something after having ripped the arm off of one at the elbow
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

Does he come with a chalice and pimp cane?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A. Riley
    I remember seing a picture of someone at a con or something after having ripped the arm off of one at the elbow
    That would have been me at San Francisco. I took it apart to show the quality and construction.

The construction of the PDDs is all preproduction quality, so the rivets hadn't been fully fitted (they were too big, so they didn't fit in the holes). The final production version had the holes made bigger to fit properly the counter sunk head of the rivet.

As for quantity, last I knew, Hasbro would only confirm low teens. I've seen a couple of pictures floating around now of a carded one, but it's the one that had been used by Hasbro as the production approval sample, and never released.

For those that may still have me listed as having one, I do not. I sold it for $2000 about a year ago.

John M.
    Apparently one of the longest standing members of Yojoe.com is now a troll. OK then... This troll is going to find a bridge somewhere and play Warhammer.

Exclamation

1 or 2 hit retail? You haven't been hearing it right.... Their were 3 Leopard Destro's here in 1997 and their was a Witness also who saw all 3 of them besides me...

These were not a Hasbro made figure line. All the 1997 and 1998 were put out by Kenner in Ohio those years. They are gone! Those people are gone. Any Records they may of had if any are gone! No Hasbro employee will ever know squat about those 1997 or 1998 Kenner figures. They had no part of it and none of the Kenner people are around and no one these days at Hasbro will ever know who or what happened when Kenner was doing those two years.

Same with Kenner did G.I.Joe: Extreme! Hasbro won't know nothing now about what Kenner did or might of did... Same goes for Palitoy in the old days in the UK they were the Action Man Action Force makers. Then went out of Business... Hasbro later went to the UK itself. But Hasbro will never know who worked at Palitoy or what Palitoy made of did or not did.

Same with stores here. We have two Meijer stores one at each side of town. One gets stuff in? And the other store doesn't get the same stuff in. And you ask them about them and that is the Manager? And they don't know anything about the item's that the other store may of had? So that alone says it all.

Far as only the 3 being in the store? I wouldn't count on it for a Million Dollars people. These were bought then by parents for their kids... And those Kids opened them. They were most likely destroyed as they played with them. And with the 1997 and 1998 figures being cheaper made quality they would sure break easy. Same with the Toys 'R' Us figures Hasbro is making now in the 6-Packs! They have gone to cheap Quality and poor paint aps... Looks allot like 1997 and 1998 made stuff to me... Or i should say Funskool Quality?

Far as my Regular 1997 Destro and the Leopard Destro? They look about the same Quality to me. The head on the Leopard Destro is a little lower down? But that's about it. Otherwise they seem no different in quality to me.

But think what you all want to. You will never know what happened and that's it... If you buy one these days at those price's? You must be loaded? If so i could use some $$$ over here to buy the rest of the figures i need in case you want to throw any away???

Well?

Captain-DC

Quote Originally Posted by Captain-DC
    1 or 2 hit retail? You haven't been hearing it right.... Their were 3 Leopard Destro's here in 1997 and their was a Witness also who saw all 3 of them besides me...

These were not a Hasbro made figure line. All the 1997 and 1998 were put out by Kenner in Ohio those years. They are gone! Those people are gone. Any Records they may of had if any are gone! No Hasbro employee will ever know squat about those 1997 or 1998 Kenner figures. They had no part of it and none of the Kenner people are around and no one these days at Hasbro will ever know who or what happened when Kenner was doing those two years.

Same with Kenner did G.I.Joe: Extreme! Hasbro won't know nothing now about what Kenner did or might of did... Same goes for Palitoy in the old days in the UK they were the Action Man Action Force makers. Then went out of Business... Hasbro later went to the UK itself. But Hasbro will never know who worked at Palitoy or what Palitoy made of did or not did.
    Where do you come up with this stuff? That's the most ludicrous thing I've read in a long time.

Captain-DC,

Hi! First, I would like you to know that I have a lot of respect for you and your collecting know-how - and I definitely credit you with being the first person to bring a carded leopard variant Destro (PDD) to the attention of the collecting community! Thanks for that!

However, there do seem to be some things about the history of Kenner and Hasbro that you don't have quite right.

Kenner was bought by Tonka in 1987 -
    Hasbro bought Tonka (including the Kenner division) in 1991

Here's a URL reference:
    http://www.kennertoys.com/history/history3.html

Any items put out under the Kenner banner from 1991 on, were genuine Hasbro items! Also, I have the HASBRO catalogs from the years you mentioned in your post, and the "Kenner" items are included in it. If you would like photos, feel free to email me:

airedevon@comcast.net

Hope this helps!
    Aire
    Last edited by airedevon; 03-26-2005 at 04:15 PM.

far as the 1 or 2 figures being in retail your wrong. We had 3 and if you haven't been reading the web? Other people saw it at their Toys 'R' Us in 1997 as well. And most of them didn't buy it. So 3 were here and more of them were seen... So that's counts your 1 or 2 for retail in the Bud!!!

And yes i also know that Kenner was owned by Hasbro. Who don't? But if the Kenner people are the ones who worked on the 1997 and 1998 figure lines and they were... They were in Ohio Office at Kenner. Hasbro is in Rhode Island. So what did Hasbro do after 1998? They closed the Ohio Kenner down for good. And let those people go. Another words they were all nothing but employees and they all were fired. None of those people work at Hasbro these days. And no one at Hasbro knows what they did at the Kenner Office in Ohio at that time.

They had a right hand and that was Hasbro in Rhode Island... And the left Hand was Kenner in Ohio. They cut off their Left Hand and it's gone. And theirs no way to get that Hand back now. So th let Kenner go and the Employees are gone. And they won't ever be able to get it back. So anyone at Hasbro now has no idea what was done back then by Kenner. That's all i'm saying. One hand they say washes the other? In this case Hasbro cut off their Left Hand and they won't be washing the other ever again.

If you follow? Fine! If you don't that's ok. I;m Old School and you might not follow my old school ways and that's ok with me.

But don't say we didn't have three of them here at our Toys 'R' Us as you don't know what your saying then. As we did have 3 and their is an Eye Witness to all three of these then he Worked their and i think he even bought those two Leopard Destro's even. So in that case if i can track him down ever? I'm the one who pointed them out to him and will ask to them if they want to sell them or not if i find them?

That's all! Their is no need to reply back to this thread. It has had way to mush treads or the past year alone. No need to keep it going. Just let it Drop. Far as who owns them now? Or if they changed hands? This tread was useless as we don't know who has them now or what they went for. So their was no reason for a thread as we still don't know squat as who has what r what it went for. And i really don't care who has them myself. I'm not selling any of my figure lines period... So no need to ask. And i don't collect Prototpyes.... And to me the Leopard Destro was a retail bought figure here in 1997 and i don't see it as any Prototype figure and i sure woudln't own one if it was. As it never would of been at Retail and it was.

And so that's enough on that.

Captain-DC