Ask yourself before bidding on a MOC Cobra Mortal

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Ask yourself before bidding on a MOC Cobra Mortal

There is an auction currently running that is advertising a "COBRA MORTAL .... MOC ..... G.I.JOE !!!!!!! " I own a loose, complete Cobra Mortal and I was thinking about bidding initially, but I am not after I asked myself these questions.
    1) Why is there missing artwork along the left edge of the bubble. Like missing some Mortal forearm artwork, and parts of his hands. There is yellow card ink, but could it be a resealed card?
    2) Why does the figure have a black right hand. All I have ever seen was a full red (unpainted) hand. Could it have a reglued hand at the wrist from an Invasor since thumbs break easily?
    3) Why is the chrome so dull? Shouldn't it be "mirror-like"?
    4) Why is there no black paint triangles above the eyes?
    5) Why does there appear to only be one weapon in the package. It should come with 3 accessories : cross bow, Uzi and "explosive pack". (I think Yojoe.com needs updating on the accessories listing).
    I am not saying that it is a fake, because I don't want to dog on anyone's items. Besides, the back card looks legit, and the so does the plastic the figure is made out of (red). So it could be all legit. All I am saying is that one should ask themselves if such an item COULD have been fixed up/customized to look carded with some paint, glue and a lot of time. Anyway, good luck whoever wins. Be sure to let us know about it's authenticity after you get it in the mail.

God Bless and Yo Joe,
    Ron Conner
    G.I. Joe Author of 3 Books @ http://www.backinthedaytoys.com/bitdt.htm
    G.I. Joe Dealer @ http://www.treasuresntoys.com/gijoe334.htm
    G.I. Joe Fan Site Webmaster @ http://www.treasuresntoys.com/webcamp.htm
    Last edited by Ron Conner - Treasures 'N Toys; 04-22-2007 at 05:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, that auction's going for mucho dinero. Have you emailed the seller with those questions?

http://yojoe.com/action/int/arg-cobramortal.shtml

I'd say it's been poorly re-sealed due to the card errors along the bubble. I'd also say it's a fake or re-touched up figure as well.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This Mortal is so different than all the other ones I have ever seen. Therefore, I would say it probably is a fake.

Hey take a look at the back of the card in the auction, then look at the cardback that's in the yojoe archives. Could just be a coincidence but look at the flag at the end of the big GIJOE on the auction, see the colour stain going down? Now look at the scan of the one on Yojoe...it almost looks like it's got the same stain. Also the specks on the actual file card look the same, now I know this don't mean much but it is kinda fishy. Look at the end of the first line that ends with "ya" those 2 flecks are in both. And look at the bottom left corner about an inch up, both have white flecks missing. Same with the front, look at the E in GIJOE, both have a black speck in the same spot. Oh well, like you said use your judgement. I think it's way too fishy.

ken

I thought you were doing a Clint Eastwood impression for a sec -

Ask yourself before bidding on a MOC Cobra Mortal...Do you feel lucky, punk?

Looks fake to me, not that I have one, but I've looked at alot of pics and wished that I did.

me and nova were talking about this auction last night and i mentioned the same thing, the arm near the bubble is missing exactly what the cardback on yojoe and my site are missing (i received the images from mike livanos who owns the cardback and it is the same cardback on yojoe.). i think its just a bootleg card made off that fullcard with touch ups. also if u look at the side shot the cardboard is nice and clean which most people know even the best conditioned argentina cardback is not that clean. there is another weapon in there a destro gun though kinda hard to tell unless u enlarge the pic.
    WANTED:
    -Fast Blast Vipers
    -Python Patrol Heat Vipers
    -Any Iron Grenadier Troops (IG's, TARGATS, Undertows, Iron Anvils etc etc ARAH MOLDS ONLY)

TONS of Joe figures and vehicles for sale send want lists!

What does everyone think the reserve price for this is?
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by scwv
    me and nova were talking about this auction last night and i mentioned the same thing, the arm near the bubble is missing exactly what the cardback on yojoe and my site are missing (i received the images from mike livanos who owns the cardback and it is the same cardback on yojoe.). i think its just a bootleg card made off that fullcard with touch ups. also if u look at the side shot the cardboard is nice and clean which most people know even the best conditioned argentina cardback is not that clean. there is another weapon in there a destro gun though kinda hard to tell unless u enlarge the pic.
    Wow...great call! This totally is a fake, and the cardback is definitely the same one shown on Yojoe. As scwv mentioned, you can really see it plainly if you enlarge the pic in the auction and compare it to the one on Yojoe.

So, whichever Yojoe admin or archivist is reading this first...take down that large Cobra Mortal pic and throw some watermarks on it pronto! I'd hate to see more scammers take advantage of people like in this auction. Because of the rarity of a MOC Cobra Mortal, alot of people won't know what to look for, etc. Heck, if hadn't read this thread, I'd probably have casually thought it was real (assuming at least one of the bidders throwing money at it would have done their homework...)

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up Ron. And again, great catch scwv.

-Peter
    ProjectPDD.com : The Definitive " Pimp Daddy Destro " Action Figure Resource

JoeIntel.com : The site for EVERYTHING G.I.Joe. From posters, lunchboxes & store displays to 3 3/4" 25th action figures, prototypes & international items. Get knowledgeable on the full range of 'Joe collectibles since the 80's & join up to the forums!

Always looking for unique packaged DESTRO items & all G.I.Joe preproduction items (artwork, prototypes, etc.). Contact me! I pay well!

if you guys really think it is fake- i feel it is your responsibility to the community to report it to ebay, and send the guy a nasty email.
    somebody who knows, please do so!!!
    Last edited by thorn; 04-17-2005 at 10:19 PM.
    need 88 TF dusty crotch