Sgt Slaughter - Who is HE ? - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Whywhywhy?

Quote Originally Posted by whitedalek
    I love the Sarge, but yeah, that really sucked when the WWF wanted him to turn to a 'heel'. So he started spouting anti-American crap. However, he is stongly patriotic and does a lot of charity work for kids.
    I always wondered why he ever agreed to the "bad guy switch" to begin with.

First, what was the WWF thinking with the Sarge still on the Joe toon (like Gun-metal stated above)?

Also, why did he agree to it? Was his contract threatened or something? Did they ever explain the change in the WWF "storyline"?

Because I only ever watched wrestling for the Sarge and Randy (machomanoooyeahsnapintoaslimjim) Savage.

-PJ

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjacoby
    I always wondered why he ever agreed to the "bad guy switch" to begin with.

First, what was the WWF thinking with the Sarge still on the Joe toon?

Also, why did he agree to it? Was his contract threatened or something? Did they ever explain the change in the WWF "storyline"?

Because I only ever watched wrestling for the Sarge and Randy (machomanoooyeahsnapintoaslimjim) Savage.

-PJ
    Sgt Slaughter wasn't employed by the WWF when he was part of G.I. Joe. He had one stint in the WWF before he "joined" G.I. Joe and one after and he's still there today. So he had no WWF contract during his Joe stint. I'm sure the WWF could have cared less whether Sarge was still on re-runs of the cartoon. I think their idea was to rehire him as a bad guy to go against the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. When he did return he said he was disgusted with the US fans for supporting a "pinko commie", meaning Nikolai Volkoff, when Volkoff turned over a new leaf and started embracing America. If they would've had him return as a face (good guy) he would have probably got lost in the shuffle between Hogan and Warrior. They needed a fresh strong heel (bad guy) to face those 2 that's why Sarge became an Iraqi sympathizer. He was a neat Joe character however and I wouldn't mind seeing him pop up again in the Joe universe. And yes Randy Macho Man Savage was the best back then .
    Last edited by whakojacko; 04-27-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Sgt. Slaughter was the MAN! Although Joe fans may not have liked his heel run as an Iraqi sympathizer I must admit he was great at it. Referring to Hulk Hogan's fans (Hulkamaniacs) as "Puke-a-maniacs" was priceless. And of course all was forgiven when about six months later the ol' Sarge pleaded "I want my country back!" I would absolutely love a new sculpt or re-release of a Sgt. Slaughter fig.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hasbro should make a "Slaughterhouse" playset with a new-sculpt Sarge! I can see it now...obstacle courses, a rassling ring, etc. Sigh...