So anyone want to place bets on how long before Sigma 6 is cancelled? - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I don't really dislike the style of the Sigma Six figures myself(don't like the soft goods clothing but the sculpts seem very good considering they're meant to be stylized), but the scale...man that scale is a deal killer. 8"?! The only American figures I know of in that scale are Halo 2. And I don't think there's going to be too much of a crossover between the two fanbases.

I love the 1:18 scale but my preference for non-army builder lines is 1:12(or 6") scale, like Marvel Legends. A GI Joe 6" scale line would be a huge success, even with the blocky style of the SS figures. Snake Eyes would sell anyway. When I was a kid I didn't really mix scales, I wasn't overly concerned with one character being too tall or something, but Thundercats wouldn't fight my 3 3/4" joes. Thank god Toybiz realizes that kids want to be able to have Wolverine fight Snake Eyes, and created Superhero Showdown.

I just do not understand the rationale behind 8" scale. It's just crazy. Scale isn't just a collector's issue.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Question Um. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Epyon
    The designs are very original,
    Please. . .prove it. In past threads, some of us have actually listed the other earlier unrelated toylines that influenced these figures.

and it's really immature to see people comparing them to the force battlers from Star Wars, as they are not the same line, nor the same type of toy.
    Immature? In what way, exactly? As a matter of fact, it is exactly the same type of toy. To wit: an "action figure". Minus of course, the added details added to Sigma Six which I praised not only in this thread, but in others as well.

I'm being fair in my aesthetic appraisal. And that's all it should be viewed as. Nothing more, nothing less. If that's a measue of my maturity, then yeah. . .I also really like Cap'n Crunch.

But then, if I'm so immature. . .howcome I'm not 100% into both Force Battlers and Sigma Six? Because like the man said, they are marketed to kids.

Furthermore, I was looking beyond the superficial brand names and pointing to the simplistic, highly angular and exaggerated anime body designs from certain popular cartoons. There's an obvious stylistic similarity. If you don't see it, then it's just a denial issue on your part. I like it in toons, but not action figures. Just my personal preference.

Looking so far at the pics from the con, they look to be very cool.
    The characters from the show look like they could blend in with just about every other anime-inspired show out there today, which could be good or bad.
    Compared to the above, are you aware that my earlier post was even more positive about this detail of Sigma? I was one of the few Joe fans out there that openly approved of a Joe anime.

-PJ

Thumbs up

Please. . .prove it. In past threads, some of us have actually listed the other earlier unrelated toylines that influenced these figures.
    Good for you guys, that's really great. I am not here to prove anything to anyone. I was just saying that I think that the designs of the figures are very original. I am not trying to shove what I think down people's throats, nor am I going to judge someone on here because they think contrary to what I think. The figures look very unique and original. Yes, they are bigger versions of joes, and I know they are influenced by a lot of things outside of joes, but like I had said earlier, they look very cool and unique.
    No, they aren't the joes most of us grew up with, but they are still pretty hip, especially for the kids, which is what they are for anyway.
    It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us. Or hanging out on a 3&3/4" Star Wars forum and seeing a rep coming on plugging Force Battlers. <phew! What a stinker that one turned out to be!
    I know what you were saying, and what I said had nothing to do with that. Yeah, it's a funny comparison...ha ha.
    I just vented about people comparing sigma six and force battlers, as they look nothing alike. And this isn't me being in any sort of denial, I just don't see it. I can see people saying that because they are bigger versions of the figures, but that's about it.
    Anyway, I hadn't posted in here in quite some time because of all the negativity.
    I came back to see other people's thoughts on all the cool stuff that was just shown at the con.
    I posted in this particular thread because I had something positive that I wanted to say about Sigma Six in a thread was highly negative towards it.
    So I say it again. The line so far looks to be very good. The designs are very unique and original (as they could be, as we all have ideas on how certain characters are supposed to look). I can't wait for a new joe show to be on tv. The designs look very good, and they are different, but not so different as to not know who is who. Yeah, they are a little streamlined (anime styled), but they do I hope this new line does do well, as I'd like to see the joes on tv again, and I'm sure the success of this line and show will carry over into our coveted 3 3/4 line. Just look at all the vehicles and figures we are getting thru the DTC store, and then go back and check out the pictures they just showed us today of stuff from the show.
    Anyhow, I am done with this. Sorry fo rvoicing my views.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i dont know i think that they look pretty cool but still to expensive
    it is awsome that a new cartoon series will be suporting them and if it is all strong in the long run it can only help the real cool 3 3/4 joe line
    i just hope the line run long enough to release a scarlett and baroness figures
    those ill buy.

i just dont getthe popularity of large size action figures today. i mean how much cool stuff can you get for the small figures like play sets and vehicles. not to mention the poseablity of the figures themselves and they fit in your pocket

i feel so bad for the kids of today they just have no taste (just kidding kinda)

but for real im just happy there will be some new 3 3/4 figures and kinda happy there wont be so many of them ill have to buy

I hope it succeeds for hasbro's and our sake. I havent even looked at any of them, but I hope it does well.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep if Fred Durst got shot tommorrow. Kerry King from Slayer

Well, I actually am starting to get into Sigma Six. It really caught me off guard at first but the more stuff I see, the more I like the idea. Now, I'm a BIG fan of the 80's G.I.Joe cartoon, comics and figures. The thing is, when the original 3 3/4 inch line came out I remember my uncle saying he thought G.I.Joe had hit rock bottom. They had become tiny little pieces of crappy plastic that had a dumb story behind them and Cobra was so unreal that it made it even worse. Where did the big kick-***** joes, with the realistic hair and clothing go? A laser troper? What a load of dung!
    Of course I loved the new figures. Snake-Eyes was right up there with Wolverine and Batman with me when I was a kid. Why? Because of the cartoon and comics. It did well because kids got into it and made their parents go out and buy the toys. Not because older collectors like my uncle liked it. Heck, he still thinks they suck. If Sigma has a show that kids love the line will do fine. And I really don't get all the bad feelings toward Sigma either. We are still getting new 3 3/4 inch figures for crying out loud! That new major Blood looks nice! And if I understand correctly Sigma is even going to come in a 3 3/4" scale also. So there go the size complaints. But what older collectors think of the Sigma line really does not matter anyway. They are gearing this line toward what kids like right now so they can bring in a new generation of Joe fans. More power to them! And for the record I will get the new Sigma Snake-Eyes. He has one thing I have wanted from a Snake-Eyes figure since the 80's: a removable visor. I do wish he came with Timber though. Maybe that will come with his second Sigma version.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaWalkingCorpse
    I hope it succeeds for hasbro's and our sake. I havent even looked at any of them, but I hope it does well.

Same here, I have an appreciation now for what Hasbro is trying to do. The sigma 6 for the kids probably under 10 and the 3 3/4" stuff for older kids and collectors. Heck I think I'll get my kid brothers who are 8 and 11 the sigma 6 they may like it more than the 3 3/4" stuff.

Anybody see the mega makeover that Longrange got? Interesting.

I MAY have been persuaded to buy one or two......had their retail price been about HALF of what they're saying it is. $15???? Too much. And that's coming from someone who works 40 hours a week! What's a 10 year old gonna do?

HOWEVER.......if they make a Sigma 6 Chuckles with real Hawaiian shirt, I will eat what I said about them being too much and go out an get one right away

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjacoby
    I was going to post on that very thing myself, but kept deleting it. I have no idea why John did that because he should know this is primarily a site that talks ARAH exclusively.

It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us. Or hanging out on a 3&3/4" Star Wars forum and seeing a rep coming on plugging Force Battlers. <phew! What a stinker that one turned out to be!

Second, I know we do everything we can to keep this board "kid friendly", but I'm pretty sure they're the minority around here.
    All good points. Sorry about posting here - I didn't mean to come across as the Ron Popiel of Sigma 6, pushing my wares on you guys. I'm a 3/3/4 collector too, I can understand how I must have broken some board etiquette here.

Guess I thought since the Sigma 6 brand shares alot of the same fantasy elements as ARAH 3 3/4 Fantasy (ie, Cobra, Duke, Snake Eyes, etc) that I could post my 2 bits, I can see now how it's a totally different medium. Maybe I'll nose abound here and see if I can put together a Sigma 6 Forum/Board to focus the questions and stuff. Probably be bettter that way.

Glad to hear that the majority of you are open to the concpet though. I'm really jazzed about this new cartoon. Glad you guys are liking what you saw at Joe Con and what Dwight and Billy may have shared.

FYI, you guys don't need to pull any punches in the future - as a collector I'm interested in hearing all comments - both positive and negative. Keep in mind though, my replies will be based on public domain, it's against policy for me to reveal anything that isn't cleared for the public.