Back into comics Issue #42

yojoe.com

Back into comics Issue #42

I just got back into comics and I picked up issue 42 of DDP. I am going to get the volume issues so i can catch up to this point. Should i read all of the marvel series first or will i be able to get a good grasp by starting with ddp? Until i can get the marvels volumes that is. I take it that a lot of the joes have been killed off. That i dont like. What other comic series are there?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Okay, if you know the basics of GI Joe, then you can get by just by reading the DD line, but I do advise reading the Marvel line when you get the chance. GI Joe Frontline, also by DD, is also a really good line, albeit short lived, but does not tie into the ongoing line in any way. As for characters being killed off, yes, they have started killing major players off simply for the purpose of killing something, not really for anything pertaining to story. Now, a while back, during the return of Serpentor, they did kill off Flash and Mainfraim, which upset me, because then we're stuck with hacker and Hard Drive (ugh!) but they did do it in a tasteful, and very heroic way.

-Jim
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    Mr. Bunny says, "Check out my Sale/Trade List and my Wanted List."
    (> <)

yes with time things change. However mainframe is a marine and he should be alive. (Semper Fi). I will definitely check the front line out. Does frontline for example have Mainframe alive and the other line have him dead and so forth for other characters? I guess i am trying to ask if one line is keeping them alive, or different ones, and the other line is heading a different direction also or do they all tie in in some way? Does DD start off with G.I. Joe fighting Cobra Commander and then switching to the Red Shadows? Lots of Questions I know. By the way thanks for the assistance.

steven

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No prob. I have always loved the comic, but of late (since the re-intro of the Red Shadows), it has been kinda falling apart. As for the Shadows, since I have already brought them into this reply, Joe was fighting Cobra, but the the Shadows came in and started fighting Joe and Cobra alike. Now, it looks as if Cobra has disappeared, and what is left of the Joe team in the new series, "America's Elite", will be fighting the Shadows instead of Cobra.

As for how Frontline runs, no it is not a different reality, or anything. They still stick to the story lines of the ongoing series as a base, but what Front Lines does is go and tell the story of a different smaller (normally 1-man) mission that the other series didn't have time for, or about something in someone's past. For instance, there was one 1-issue story about Stalker going home on leave, and finding his stepson involved in a drug-gang. He used his training to take the gang down, and win his stepson's approval. Yeah, cheesy, but it was a cool read. Also, there was a two-part miniseries in Frontline that told of Zanya's (Zartan's daughter) past, where she came from and everything, and even how she joined the Dreadnoks. That was one of my favorites, personally speaking. I figure, if I can't rely on the Joe team to stay true to what they were originally meant to be, at least the Dreadnboks will always be whoever they wanna be! GRAPE SODA AND DOUGHNUTS ALL AROUND!!!!

-Jim
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

It sounds great I enjoy storylines like that also. do you know about what issue the red shadows came into play? I have been checking out the Yo JOe archives and they are very informative in this area as well. The dreadnoks are up there with my favorites to. They always have been. I am also looking at the master and apprentice comics. I have always been into the ninja stuff as a kid. When I went to the USMC The only figs I couldnt get rid of were the martial artists. Thanks again. By the way your customs are outstanding some of the best i have seen so far. Love the beachhead and tomax and zamot.
    Last edited by tiger_45; 05-30-2005 at 01:13 PM.

As for the Shadows making their appearance, I'm not sure when that first happened. The last issue I have is either #30 or #31, and it happened more recently than that. Around the time I moved last year, I was running low on funds, and couldn't pick up my subscription at my local comic shop, and by the time I was able to, they had already discontinued my subscription, and I never picked up another one.

As for the Frontlines, it only lasted a brief time, about 20 issues or so, and was discontinued. They had said it would be brought back, but it never was. Which sux, because I liked that series better than the ongoing sereis in some ways.

And last, but not least (I know, how cliched) as for my customs, thank you very much. I have had a few offers on the Beach head and the Twins, but I regertfully have to turn them down, as they are not for sale. I am also looking for yet one more of the Black Dragon figures so I can make another one of my own creations... an officer in the Crimson Guards known simply as "The Executive". Soon as it is done and up, You'll have a better story on him, but for now, he'll remain a mystery.

-Jim
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

All i have to say is SWEET!