Wizard's Spoof GI Joe Movie ad - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    April '03 sounds about right. I know I was already here in SC when I got my ish and I wouldn't have picked up the 02 one since that was right around the time we were moving here.

I just got rid of a bunch of my old Wizards about 4 months ago too. Betcha I wound up throwing it away or something dumb like that.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I looked over the text of the print on the other side of the page. This appeared in issue 140, and I believe it was the Apr. '03 issue. Only about 2 years old, shouldn't be all that hard to find.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

On a similar note, is there a scan in the archives of the Toyfare issue cover and article regarding the GI Joe movie? (Is a scan of a magazine article allowed? )

That's about as smokin' a rendering of Baroness as I've ever seen. And that INCLUDES Brock Lee's, which are smokin' in and of themselves.

I can scan it if need be. LMK!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pat,

If your not allowed to scan it in here, please make a scan and e-mail me the picture. I would love to see it. I must have missed it a while back. I don't get Toyfare.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by orionlukteel
    On a similar note, is there a scan in the archives of the Toyfare issue cover and article regarding the GI Joe movie? (Is a scan of a magazine article allowed? )

That's about as smokin' a rendering of Baroness as I've ever seen. And that INCLUDES Brock Lee's, which are smokin' in and of themselves.

I can scan it if need be. LMK!
    This picture?

http://www.greghornjudge.com/images/...st_Toyfare.jpg

Per the notes on Greg Horn's site...

"# GIJOE this image appeared in ToyFare #81 as the opener for an interview with G.I.JOE film producer LORENZO DiBONAVENTURA. The illustration represents Toyfare's "Dream Cast" with Viggo Mortensen as Duke, Monica Bellucchi as Baroness, and Jennifer Garner as Scarlett. We never nailed down actors for the other three, but I feel extremely confident that I could easily star as Snakeeyes since we never see his face and he never talks. A constant diet of Joe Weider's Protein Blast should get me in shape for the role in no time! "

He also had a print of this available at cons last year, I know for sure at Wizard World Chicago.

Jeff- those were the illustrations from the article. Each character appeared on a different page, but that's a good collective image of all of them.

There was also a really nice cover painting, not sure if it was by the same artist; I'll have to check. All I remember is that it was Baroness and some other character. (Either Destro or Cobra Commander, I can't remember even though I moved it out of my way yesterday)

Thanks for the link!

Here's a small cover scan I grabbed from
    Yahoo and Wizarduniverse.com here:
    http://store.yahoo.com/wizarduniverse/toyfare81.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wizarduniverse_1849_284080073.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	996  
    Last edited by orionlukteel; 06-14-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Different artist, that was Mike Mayhew who did the cover. Here is the full image, with a larger one on the ToyFare website...

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi...309-onsale.cfm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccbar.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	997  

Greg Horn is absolutely the best! His best stuff was on the Emma Frost covers. True I might be sort of biased though.... She is my favorite X-Chick period.

Mayhew is also very good. His covers for Mystique were very eye-catching and vaunted by Mystique fans.

Thanks for the scans guys. Great stuff!

Jeff-

That original painting from the cover rocks. Thanks for the link and the info!