Anyway to remove a stripped screw?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyway to remove a stripped screw?

I just got a secto viper that must have been played with in water since the t-hook broke since it was very corroded. I tried to replace it but the leg screws are also rusted and in very tight and it became stripped. Any advice?

-SWS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The best answer I've heard is a drop of super glue on the end of a screwdriver, let it set to the screw, then twist the sucker out.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

dremel

At times the glue screw drive method dosent work I have had to take a dremel to it . A small drill bit dont go to far but you destrtoy the center of the screw and take the guy apart . Use low speeds other wise it can get to hot and melt part of the joe.

Neoscott

http://stores.ebay.com/Neoscott-Productions

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Neoscott
    At times the glue screw drive method dosent work I have had to take a dremel to it . A small drill bit dont go to far but you destrtoy the center of the screw and take the guy apart . Use low speeds other wise it can get to hot and melt part of the joe.

Neoscott

I agree with scott...just practice on some fodder figures first. It can be tricky the first few times you try it!
    Sinnister

The master race is made of plastic and only 3 3/4 inches tall

WANT LIST

Exclamation Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoscott

Neoscott

Is there anyway you guys can elaborate more on this method for me? Because I've got a similar situation and it's with one of my most important army builders. The 1986 B.A.T. And I don't have any test dummies to practice on. I'd really appreciate your help guys. Or anybody else's for that matter...

Basically the point of the dremel is to wear the head of the screw away. Either the jostling from the drilling or the metal wear down is going to knock the head loose so you can unscrew it, or break it down to the point where you can pull the body apart and remove the remainder of the screw with some pliers.

I use this nasty glass etching bit that churns the rusty screws into butter really quick.

I typically drill on low for a few seconds, pull out, try my screwdriver again, then go again for a few seconds. That will eventually get 80% of the heads out.

The rest have to be drilled all the way out, and sometimes you do get some damage to the figure, but hey- it's better than having a mint torso with no legs!

I've had one occasion where I drilled a wee bit too hard and my cobra soldier suddenly had a sucking chest wound.

Quote Originally Posted by tarz_an2003
    Is there anyway you guys can elaborate more on this method for me? Because I've got a similar situation and it's with one of my most important army builders. The 1986 B.A.T. And I don't have any test dummies to practice on. I'd really appreciate your help guys. Or anybody else's for that matter...

A regular drill with a small bit will work the same way. Go slow and check your progress. Once the torso is apart, needle nose vice grips are a good plier of choice to grip and remove the headless screw.
    A closed mouth gathers no foot!

What's the best size drill bit to use?

Quote Originally Posted by gsmiley007
    What's the best size drill bit to use?
    I looked up a picture of the drill bit set that I have, and I think it was either the 3/32" or the 5/64".
    A closed mouth gathers no foot!

works good..

Doing it with a drill/dremel has worked several times for me. I've also got a little pair of vice grips i use with my small screwdriver for extra torque and that gets out alot of rusty ones, but the drill always works. I've also heard that coke works but have yet to try it, although i've bought a few lots with figures that have sticky legs lol.

I did find something that worked great for figures that have been tagged with the permanent marker or painted. Its called "Goof Off" picked it up at a craft store and have used it to remove marker off and ton of characters almost always gets that off but i've ran across a few paints i couldn't do anything with. If you use it use in moderation!! I tried soaking a figure and it pretty much ate it, but when used with a cue-tip i've cleaned up several otherwise worthless figs..