Arm pins

yojoe.com

Thread: Arm pins

Arm pins

Hello all,

I have several older 3 3/4" joes with loose elbow pins or rivets. Does anyone here have experience in replacing these pins? if so, where would I be able to find them? I imagine it would be quite a tough procedure, but tips would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

well I have actually attempted this once, and the results were as you would expect not that great and very difficult. So with the exception of a very select group of rare figures this really isn't worth your trouble, but basically the way I went about doing this is as follows. I drill out the rivet head, and seperate the arm. Then I get a broken figure arm out of my parts bin and cut up the arm using wire cutters but leaving the entire rivet piece intact. Then with the seperated pieces of arm I carefully added a layer of clear glue to the inside and waited for to dry so the plastic was thickened up a little. Then I took the extra rivet I had, and heres where it gets real tricky...I cut the rivet in half with wire cutters (not easy) then I reassembled the arm and using a saudering (sp?) iron I put some hot lead between the two rivet pieces and then closed the arm back together and kept moving the joint while the rivet bonded back together. Honestly this process was costly, time consuming and yielded rather poor results...so I say its not really worth the effort but thats one way of doing it you feel so inclined. Hope that helped!

wow what a pain. so nowhere are rivets available?

does seem like this is the near impossible task, but if someone would sell us rivets and a rivet gun, we could do it. i didnt realize you could that easily drill them out.

and hey welcome! (and say goodbye to all your $$$)
    need 88 TF dusty crotch

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do a search online for "semi tubular rivet" and you should find some. I havent actually ordered any yet, so I dont know the size you would need. You would need the special pliers used to flare the end too. This could get pretty pricy, so unless you plan on fixing a bunch of joes, or making some customs, Id pass on it.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Great! Cheers for the feedback! I've just started collecting again (I hadn't purchased a joe since the late 80s. Sadly, my mom gave most of my figures to the Salvation Army). I like the idea of being able to replace any part that may give to old age, rust, etc., and while I'm not customizing figures yet, it is something that I might want to have a go at eventually. I did a search for tubular rivets as well and came up with some good stuff. Does anyone have the proper dimensions for these rivets? I came across these sites and I'm guessing that these may be the right ones (they're cheap enough that I could probably try things out trial and error):

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...ubCategory=RVL

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet22.htm

Thanks again!

Dennis

Rivetsinstock is the one I have been eyeing for some time. I thought it might be possible to send them one of the old rivets from a broken joe arm, and they could match it to the correct size. Never gotten around to this yet, I plan on it some day, for my army of Non-hotweather vipers. I mean really, these guys cant just run around with sleeves rolled up all the time, it gets cold outside.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Thanks again! Yeah, I came across that one as well. I also found he tool used to fasten the rivets:

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet62.htm

So I placed an order (not too expensive, either). I'll do some experimenting and let you guys know how things turned out.

So, it looks like I got lucky -- the rivets I bought (1/16" body 1/8" head) are, in fact, the proper size. Now, to perform some experimental elbow surgery on some less valuable joes. I just have to figure out a way to remove the loose rivets. Any suggestions, good people? This I Command, you mentioned drilling - what bit size did you use and at what speed.? Did you inadvertantly damage the plastic at all?

Thanks!
    Dennis

don't recall bit size but pretty small. Also I used a handheld dremel tool on the low speed it also helps if you can get someone else to hold the figure while you drill. Like you said it would be very easy to slip and drill the arm if your not super careful. Good luck I hope the results are beneficial!

how'd this work out, anybody have positive results?