Does anyone know if Hasbro has considered any of the Joes as KIA and if so who?

yojoe.com

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does anyone know if Hasbro has considered any of the Joes as KIA and if so who?

I haven't followed the comics since I was about 15 and I can't really remember them much, so I am not sure who is dead from who isn't. I think I remember some Joes were killed in this place called Trucial Abysmia or something like that ; shot by a Saw Viper, and I believe it was Doc, Crankcase this Cool Breeze character and a few others. Then I also remember some Cobras also bought the farm when they were sealed up in a freighter. I also think Hasbro made reference to this on the new Croc master's filecard.

So my question is Does anyone know if Hasbro has considered any of the Joes as KIA and if so who?
    Last edited by joebahama; 07-05-2005 at 04:17 PM.

I vaguely remember reading some article just before the line was relaunched where someone said they weren't going to remake ANY character killed in the comic...........so I GUESS that means that Hasbro considers those characters KIA.
    BUT, that was years ago right before the fist wave of T crotch Joes came out. Since then we've gotten Quinn, Gen Flagg, Flash, and Croc Master (and an upcoming Fred VII) all "dead" characters. So it looks like that policy has been forgotten.
    I'm glad because it just seems not right to take away all hope of a fan NOT getting another version of his favorite character just because he was killed off in a comic they may or may not have even read.
    (Quick Kick, Doc, Chuckles!!! )

The infamous, "dead is dead" rule is dead.

IF there is a desire, any and all characters have equal chances of being made, regardless of how they were treated in related media. If fans really want a new Doc, Hasbro will probably due a new figure at some point.

The comics are no longer considered as "holy" as they once were, thanks to the fact Billy Lagor is a cartoon fan.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

there is one difference= dead characters are being reissued for the most part, not made as new figures really
    need 88 TF dusty crotch

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GI Steevy
    The infamous, "dead is dead" rule is dead.
    W00T!!! And so thankful for it too! GIJoe's story canon has been shaky from the beginning, and most fans couldn't accept it even when Larry Hama killed off some of the most popular old Joes.

Thumbs up Hasbro!

-PJ

Agreed. As much as I loved the comic I sometimes disliked the choices made. How can you kill off Breaker and Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06
    Agreed. As much as I loved the comic I sometimes disliked the choices made. How can you kill off Breaker and Doc?
    Now I know why I stopped with the comics. Breaker and Doc define GI Joe just as much as Duke and Flint, in fact they were on the team before them. I hope Hasbro doesn't stick with the comic storyline in releasing new sculpts.

I think the choices Larry Hama made were excellent; how realistic would that have been if he only would have killed off the lame characters? As far as emotional impact goes, it made much more of a wallop when I saw Doc die than it did when BF2000 got dx'd. I was shocked and I felt really bad afterwards. That's war, and life, unfortunately. The good ones die just as often as the bad ones.

I understand why people are upset that Quick Kick & Doc died. I felt bad when they were killed too. I don't see why they shouldn't be made into new figures either.

As far as the comic goes, I still believe it is the only true source of Joe material for myself, because of the integrity and believability that Hama brought to the series. The cartoon, while enjoyable in its own way, and the later comic series just did not have high quality stories that the Hama series did.
    Whatever doesn't make me stronger only kills me

Larry Hama knew exactly what he was doing. He killed off a couple of characters he himself had an emotional attachment to, because that's precisely the experience of most veterans who serve in combat. In a real platoon, no one is disposable like the weaker characters in a comic book. Every trooper who gets killed is someone's best buddy in the unit. Every trooper is a worthwhile human being whose death cuts off future potentialities from the world. So it was with Breaker and Doc. Would an ongoing GI Joe story be more interesting with Alvin Kibbey and Carl Greer in it? YES. That's the whole point of the characters dying in combat.

Larry Hama has said repeatedly in interviews about his work on GI Joe that he never intended to glorify war. War is one of the most horrific experiences a human being can go through. The honor and nobility of the soldier comes from being willing to put themself through that experience in defense of their countrymen when they are at risk of becoming victims of aggression.