sigma 6 trailer - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: sigma 6 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Rotty
    That is the silliest complaint I have ever heard about a GI Joe cartoon.

Incidentally, it looks like anime because it's produced by Japan's Studio Gonzo.
    Well, not really. I'd say it's a very legitimate complaint, & really my only holdout on the new line. Remember, a lot of us 30-somethings grew up with the impression/stereotype, whichever, that most things Japanese, anime included, were substandard. I'm not saying that it's right, just that solidly ingrained viewpoints like that aren't easily overcome. This style of animation turns a lot of people off so quickly that they can't get far enough into it to see that it's just the style that has stayed, but the quality has improved. Growing up with Hanna Barbera, Looney Tunes, Warner Brothers, things like that (yes, also Sunbow & DIC ), this is a whole new flavor, & many people won't like it.

Since the market for this, though, is kids who are roughly in the 10-year-old age group, this is perfect for them. With their exposures to Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonballz, & this type of toyline & cartoons, this is very similar in style to what they are already interested in.

I guess what I'm saying is, that isn't a silly complaint at all, it's just that it doesn't appeal to many of us because we aren't the target demographic for this line.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I loved the vehicles, the lightning fast animation and the battle sequences, but disliked the new character designs and japanese-style faces.

Regardless of any nit-picking, I am really looking forward to seeing this. Hopefully the stories are interesting and action-packed.
    Whatever doesn't make me stronger only kills me

As you can probably tell by my name, I enjoy the anime-style of animation.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up

Me too, Guts! And since Hasbro/DD messed with the classic character designs a million times already, it's almost a given. I can live with it. But like Rotty said, that don't look anything like Tunnel-Rat to me.

-PJ

Quote Originally Posted by whitedalek
    Give me Donald Duck!
    funny,

I say give me.. Mickey Mouse........................as long as it is a mm cobra commander....
    I sure wish i had audio, i would like to hear the voices..

This series looks like its going to blow the old Sunbow cartoon away and generate a big surge of interest in G.I. Joe. The line keeps getting reinvented over and over again but it's remained true to its 80's version pretty solidly over the last 5 years. The big problem is that we have had to settle with crappy American CGI cartoons for our Joe fix and it KILLED the 3 3/4 line in retail. Now while I probably won't be buying the toys (well, maybe the B.A.T.) come September I'm going to be glued to my television set every Saturday morning.
    Now if we had an Anime series like this then maybe we'd still be getting the RAH stuff at TRU and Target.
    Fact of matter is the American animation industry can't hold a candle to Japan's and the trailer for this new show is the proof!
    Hasbro finally wised up and did what I would have at the begining of the RAH line's relaunch and make a Joe Anime series, and guess what - IT LOOKS UNBELIEVEABLY COOL!
    I realize some fans will always be stuck in the 80's with big grimaces on their faces, and anti-foreign prejudices when it comes to animation (even though the irony there is that most of the toons of the 80's were animated in Asia), but for those of us who've been waiting for the day when we could see G.I. Joe reach the apex of animation standards, IE as a Japanese Anime, September 10th our wish comes true.

Bring on Sigma 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Blight
    This series looks like its going to blow the old Sunbow cartoon away and generate a big surge of interest in G.I. Joe. The line keeps getting reinvented over and over again

It is meant to generate new interest from the younger generations, & reinventing the line is going to be necessary from time to time.

The big problem is that we have had to settle with crappy American CGI cartoons for our Joe fix and it KILLED the 3 3/4 line in retail. Now while I probably won't be buying the toys (well, maybe the B.A.T.) come September I'm going to be glued to my television set every Saturday morning.
    I agree, the cgi animation leaves us wanting, but you do have to admit, it's come a long way from Max Headroom . I also plan to get a S6 B.A.T., maybe a couple, but I really don't think that the cgi animation contributed to the waning interest in Joes. As far as being glued to the set in September, I'm guessing a lot of us will be watching the first episode. The quality of the animation and storyline will determine how many of us tune in for the second week.

Now if we had an Anime series like this then maybe we'd still be getting the RAH stuff at TRU and Target.
    Fact of matter is the American animation industry can't hold a candle to Japan's and the trailer for this new show is the proof!
    Well, we will have the series, & it looks like the S6 line will be at most major retailors. What point were you trying to make there?

As far as US vs Japanese style, it's just a trend. Trends do sell product, & it makes sense for Hasbro to market that way. If you want to compare quality, I suppose you could compare frame rate or cells per minute, but either way it all comes down to current consumer interests.

Hasbro finally wised up and did what I would have at the begining of the RAH line's relaunch and make a Joe Anime series, and guess what - IT LOOKS UNBELIEVEABLY COOL!
    I realize some fans will always be stuck in the 80's with big grimaces on their faces, and anti-foreign prejudices when it comes to animation (even though the irony there is that most of the toons of the 80's were animated in Asia), but for those of us who've been waiting for the day when we could see G.I. Joe reach the apex of animation standards, IE as a Japanese Anime, September 10th our wish comes true.
    You need to realize that there is a differance between prejudices & preferances. Cool is also a matter of perspective. I am among those who don't care for the anime style of animation, but I've said several times that I'll reserve judgement until I've seen an episode or two. This isn't prejudice at all, simply a style preferance. I do agree, though, I am looking forward to September 10th to see what Hasbro & Gonzo have come up with. I have no doubt at all that they will impress the market they are going for - pre-teen kids, but I am hoping that I will also be entertained by what they've come up with.
    Last edited by CGC; 08-02-2005 at 07:18 PM.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

I find it funny that people get all bent out of shape about a G.I.JOE anime becasue it supposed to be "A Real American Hero" but don't seem to care that the figures are produced in Red China.
    ~Pit-Viper~

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    Well, not really. I'd say it's a very legitimate complaint, & really my only holdout on the new line. Remember, a lot of us 30-somethings grew up with the impression/stereotype, whichever, that most things Japanese, anime included, were substandard.
    Yet I've never seen people single out the episodes of the Sunbow cartoon animated in Japan instead of Korea as unworthy of "a Real AMERICAN Hero". Besides, if someone is going to take the franchise's subtitle that seriously, they need to start by boycotting the action figures and the old cartoons. The only RAH merchandise that has ever been made in the United States is the comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjacoby
    Me too, Guts! And since Hasbro/DD messed with the classic character designs a million times already, it's almost a given. I can live with it. But like Rotty said, that don't look anything like Tunnel-Rat to me.

-PJ
    *Tunnel Rat climbs into a helicopter* Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!