sigma 6 trailer - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: sigma 6 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gutstheberserker
    Growing up I always liked the anime style better than American. I remember watching Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) in the late 70s and then Robotech (Macross, Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Southern Cross in Japan) and liking it much more than Thundar or Space Ghost. Even Transformers was made in Japan and some consider it to be an "anime." http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=210

Even today, I'd put Naruto up against any American cartoon and the storylines in some of the more mature anime blow away the best America has to offer. How can you compare anime like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, 12 Kingdoms, Hakkenden, Macross, and Berserk to Hanna Barbera? It's like comparing ARAH to Chuck Norris and his Karate Commandos.
    LOL! Boy are you ever right on the money with that one! Chuck Norris? I almost forgot he actually once had a toyline.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    Well, not really. I'd say it's a very legitimate complaint, & really my only holdout on the new line. Remember, a lot of us 30-somethings grew up with the impression/stereotype, whichever, that most things Japanese, anime included, were substandard.
    Boy can I ever DISAGREE with that one. Even when I was a 5 year old and saw Robotech for the first time I realized it was superior to everything else on TV and I didn't even know it was Japanese. Skip ahead to age 13 and I get into the first wave of direct to video Anime stuff to hit video stores in the states and am blown away by every show and film I get my hands on and permenantly label American animation as SUBSTANDARD, because guys if you're going to compare this new show any 'American' animated show out there in terms of quality you need a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC
    Since the market for this, though, is kids who are roughly in the 10-year-old age group, this is perfect for them. With their exposures to Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonballz, & this type of toyline & cartoons, this is very similar in style to what they are already interested in.
    Well since the younger generation is already hooked, somewhat into Anime (on account most of the stuff the networks feed them is not the creep of the Anime crop) maybe G.I. Joe might get the kind of attention it had back when we were kids and actually become popular again.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard J.
    As someone who once had a severe prejudice toward Anime, I think the series looks fantastic. (Wish I could have heard it though.)

The one problem I have with it is this obsession with BATs. Can't we please see Vipers and Crimson Guards and other human soldiers?
    Welcome to the fold my friend. As to not seeing any Vipers or CGs in this series I'm ticked too but don't complain to Hasbro, complain to this country's various censorship organizations. If Hasbro had contracted GONZO to make this show for our age demographic we might have actually gotten a full on bloodbath or two like in Hellsing or Burst Angel. But since it's for kids we've got to deal with overreactionary yuppy anal politicians and parents going "No, no, you can't do that!"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_water
    Why do they have Duke wearing blue? IMO, it should be olive drab.
    Olive drab. Yeah, that color's done wonders for his popularity. Maybe the blue will be a good change, I always though it was a more appropriate color for the good guys rather then for COBRA.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

sorry didnt realise there was a trailer, I thought this had shelved or something! and what do I find a trailer! which is awesome! Obviously were gonna see more than just BATs. Seeing the Troops in the ARAH be bitter toward higher ranks is very funny. Im sure we'll get some classic moments like that. Kids anime has alot of things like this. I for one cannot wait for this! It looks violent enough for a Saturday morning cartoon. I want to see what all the Cobra's look like now!!

My kids came running out of thier room today to tell me they had just seen a commercial for S6 on the Cartoon Network. They thought it was awesome and went into sputtering detail over what they had seen.

This shows promise for the series I'd speculate.

Did I mention both my kids are girls?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is anyone else thinking the lack of sound is suspect?

I enjoyed many anime shows as a kid (especially Force Five & Star Blazers), but it was because of the mature storytelling, not the particular type of animation. I think the quality of the story is going to determine whether this series is a hit or miss. What I am worried about is the common flaw of many of these Japanese imports and that being terrible audio in terms of music & dialogue. Poor translation sometimes makes it nearly impossible to follow the story, the tone of the characters voices is usually off given the scene, and the music can be completely inappropriate for the pacing of the show. (i. e. Transformers Cybertron) I realize this is usually due to sloppy transitioning to the American version, so I am hoping this will not be the case with Sigma Six. Though I enjoyed SEEING the trailer, I am not going to get my hopes up until I HEAR it as well

Regarding Duke's blue uniform, it seems that his character has been re-imagined as an underwater expert. If you look at the pictures from the con, you can see his SCUBA gear & read his bio card.
    "The scriveners and scribblers are not the keepers of the canon, the audience is. If the public doesn't like it, they blot it out of the collective consciousness, and make it go away"

Larry Hama, Snake Eyes Deconstructed (March, 2006)

I got to see the trailer at the SDCC (like many poeple did at the Joe Con). I took a clip on my camera (no sound, unfortunately), but I honestly have to say I was impressed overall.

I've read through the thread and note that a lot of people grew up on the same shows I did, including Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets. I can honestly say I've never seen more care taken with detail than in anime. Some of it sucked, true, but overall, I've been pleasantly surprised.

Try the older Bubblegum Crisis series or the first Sol Bianca movie if you want to see anime done right. Akira was okay, but got a little, I dunno, "off" for me.

Keep in mind that a many of the Sunbow cartoons were produced in Asia, whether Japan or not I don't remember. And despite that, the quality sometimes left something to be desired.

I get a different feel watching anime - the colors seem more appropriate and properly blended, everything just looks more *alive*. No lazy re-hashes of launch sequences, etc. No recyled sounds from Star Wars or the Transformers cartoon.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the old Sunbow stuff overall. But I like the anime take a little more. I think you'll be surprised - pleasantly - when you see an overall episode of Sigma 6. This is NOT going to be Ed, Ed, and Eddy, nor will it be Teen Titans.

I agree - Scarlett does look a bit young. But I'm taking that into consideration with the anime theme.

Hey, look on the bright side - it looks like a serious cartoon done in anime style, meaning we will NEVER again see Snake-Eyes disguised as Boy George - or breakdancing.

Bottom line? my 11-year-old son is completely geeked about Sigma 6. And he's the one that has to pick up where we leave off.

Cool

If I want to see REAL anime with superhuman powers for every character like falling a half mile to the ground with hardly a grunt, or people running 100 mph or fast streaking lines for any action scene, I'll watch Dragonball or Ninja Scroll. What I saw in that clip (but didn't hear ) wasn't GI Joe.

I agree the animation is good, its hard not to be these days. I wonder though how close the characters will be to the originals - the ones that made Sigma Six possible. It's clearly catering to a younger crowd, which is why I understand why Hasbro has done what they have. They do need to keep up with new generations. However, like Transformers is going through and He Man went through it's just the same formula over and over again.

That said, here's my predictions for sigma 6:

If the show lasts more than a season, we'll see "enhanced" versions each subsequent season, like : "GI Joe: Armada", or "GI Joe: Super Fast Flashing Ultra Force Death Squad Commandos Team..." or such.

If the former occurs, there's going to be some special feature for each subsequent season and toy line. Like all characters have neon super weapons or something.

We'll know each action before it happens, because characters will announce it to us

There will be 100's, maybe 1000's (millions perhaps??) of enemies attacking almost every episode, and the same 6 (thats how many Joes there are, right?) will win, easily.

Everyone will know how to fight like a ninja, even Snake Eyes.

At times characters will have larger than life mouths, perhaps eyes that bug out, or maybe that pesky tear drop that appears when someone is embarrased

A lot of things won't make sense and you'll realize if you were 5 you'd have no problem with it

Ok, I admit, now I want to see this show just to see if my stereoty...I mean predictions - hold up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by roboticplanet
    If I want to see REAL anime with superhuman powers for every character like falling a half mile to the ground with hardly a grunt, or people running 100 mph or fast streaking lines for any action scene, I'll watch Dragonball or Ninja Scroll. What I saw in that clip (but didn't hear ) wasn't GI Joe.
    Ever read the Marvel series?

They looped (repeat) looped a freakin' Tomahawk helicopter.

We'll know each action before it happens, because characters will announce it to us
    RAD!!!

Night Creeper Leader: "Now, witness my Flying-Arishikage-Soul-Power-Blade-Domination!!!!"

Snake-Eyes: ". . .!" (modified horse stance)

There will be 100's, maybe 1000's (millions perhaps??) of enemies attacking almost every episode, and the same 6 (thats how many Joes there are, right?) will win, easily.
    Yeah! Totally epic. Like LOTR dude.

-PJ

I never was a fan of anime, but this looks 100 times better than the crappy movies they gave us recently. I'd take this style of cartoons before that crap. It does look more promising than the movies, so I hope it does well. I know nothing will ever be like the old toon, but I am looking forward to this new series.
    No sacrifice is for nothing, if it helps other people, Skeletor! -He-Man Episode: Eye of the beholder.

don't forget the old joe cartoons?

um you did not forget the old gijoe cartoons of sunbow and DIC.

Quote Originally Posted by roboticplanet

I agree the animation is good, its hard not to be these days. I wonder though how close the characters will be to the originals - the ones that made Sigma Six possible. It's clearly catering to a younger crowd, which is why I understand why Hasbro has done what they have. They do need to keep up with new generations. However, like Transformers is going through and He Man went through it's just the same formula over and over again.

That said, here's my predictions for sigma 6:

If the show lasts more than a season, we'll see "enhanced" versions each subsequent season, like : "GI Joe: Armada", or "GI Joe: Super Fast Flashing Ultra Force Death Squad Commandos Team..." or such.

If the former occurs, there's going to be some special feature for each subsequent season and toy line. Like all characters have neon super weapons or something.

Everyone will know how to fight like a ninja, even Snake Eyes.

At times characters will have larger than life mouths, perhaps eyes that bug out, or maybe that pesky tear drop that appears when someone is embarrased

A lot of things won't make sense and you'll realize if you were 5 you'd have no problem with it

Ok, I admit, now I want to see this show just to see if my stereoty...I mean predictions - hold up.
    If you're expecting this to be like the Sunbow toon forget it. We may never get an animated version of G.I. Joe even remotely close to that show, but after the last two attempts Hasbro made at trying to get the Joes their own series anything I think the community would agree would be a step in the right direction. And since G.I. Joe's been trying for the past 4 years, unsuccessfully as a whole I might add for the younger generation, to become popular such a radical redefinition of some of the characters might also be a good thing.

Who knows if both the show and online products do well we may soon get to see the new DTC versions of Mutt, Footloose, Major Bludd, Scrap Iron and others on the series. **** most of the designs for most of COBRA's personnel are either traditional or taken from the VvV line.

I don't know how well the series will do but I'm predicting it'll be at least somewhat of a success because I familiar with the studio that made it and they don't do second hand work, even for what people might consider strictly a 'kids show'. Plus I wouldn't be counting on too many Anime on screen stereotypes, those are usually for Japanese and Anime fan only audiences so don't worry you're safe from the pesky tear drops.

And if we get huge on screen battles then . . . WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT! Has everyone forgotten that one of the staples of the Sunbow series was that at the end of practically every episode we had a battalion's worth of Joes and COBRA troops slugging it out and we all loved it.
    This is G.I. Joe, just another new version, like the 12" line was for our fathers, the 3 3/4" was for us and this will be for another generation, just different. Just take what you like from it (if anything) and - leave the rest.