America's Elite #2 (Spoilers)

yojoe.com

Thumbs up America's Elite #2 (Spoilers)

Great read. Along with issue zero, that makes it three men on base, and no outs. Hoping the next ish is just as good as the rest. I am completely hooked.

<<Spoiler space>>

I love how Flint and Hawk are becoming unhinged. There's only so much you can take from your high-stress job until you feel you've just had enough.

A few nitpicky things however. . .

- Did they ever show Baroness getting on the plane in past issues? I missed that one.

- ". . .score one for the antiquated concept of redemption." Is the author making Flint philosophical, or borderline "koo-koo" here? What's that mean?

- Storm Shadow deflects bullets w/his sword. . .um, okay.

- p.16-17. No text or scene perspectives informing us if additional goons popped up behind or in front of the Joe team. Thar's key because I had to do a double take as to who was getting killed, bad guys or good guys? I had to find out after the fact.

- (Same scene as above) Stormy's esoteric walk through a hail of bullets. Um, okay.

Otherwise, GREAT READ!!! YO-JOE!

-PJ

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up America's Elite #2

I just picked the issue up yesterday and thought it was fantastic. I like Hawk. He's just about got me thinking that Cobra Commander really is at the bottom of the plot. I like that MARS equipment was discovered in conjunction with an independent terrorist faction. Is Destro about to surface as the power/driving influence behind Wingfield? We'll have to wait and see. I like Flint's harder image. If I lost the love of my life, I would become a much darker individual, too. Roadblock's animosity to Storm Shadow is still great - and hearkens back to his first encounter with the ninja. I thought that Storm Shadow's "interrogation" of the Baroness was fun, and I liked seeing Duke making an airborne insertion into unknown territory - I've been waiting to see the "man of action" back in rare form for too long. In short, I thought it was a great comic.

For your questions PJ...we never actually see the Baroness board the plane. We only see Destro instructing Wraith to take care of her, and later see the plane explode. And Storm Shadow's bullet-dodging act? Recall that he has been pulling that same stunt for years. In Vietnam he weaved through a maze of enemy fire to retrieve Snake-Eyes's body and Terri's photograph - and then back to the evacuation helicopter. Stalker said he dodged the bullets "like they were slow pigeons." At the time, his little trick really spooked Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjacoby
    - ". . .score one for the antiquated concept of redemption." Is the author making Flint philosophical, or borderline "koo-koo" here? What's that mean?

-PJ
    I'm guessing the author was going for both. Philosophical and borderline insane. I don't know if you've ever lost anyone you love, but if you have, you know that it isn't easy to deal with.

Loss to an acident or to a disease is, however, a whole lot easier to deal with than murder.

Believe me, Flint in this issue isn't unhinged enough compared to the reality of a person dealing with a loved one's murder. My family has experience with the reality.

Still, I think the writer really took a chance trying to add a hint of realism. The darker take on Flint is refreshing. A lot of writers would have had Flint completely over Lady Jaye's death and probably with a new woman. The reality is that no one, unless they are cold-blooded, is ever "over" a loved one's murder.

I think Flint's become a raging cynic. His beloved wife died because some bunch of nuts wanted to change the world. He's been fighting an unending battle against another nut who wants to rule to world. Now he's investigating ANOTHER nut who's killing thousands.

Who wouldn't be cynical?

Richard J.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lightbulb I see it now!

Great responses you guys! It validated the issue even more in my eyes. You didn't make any lame fan-excuses to try to justify it either. I simply hadn't considered those facts until they were brought to light.

It now appears that the writer is doing everything he can to be both realistic and tie it into the earlier Larry Hama series.

I wanna change my opinion of the book now, give it an even higher rating.

Thanks again, Rich. . .Dan!

-PJ

I know I am hooked what a great series. I like the mystery of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06
    ... And Storm Shadow's bullet-dodging act? Recall that he has been pulling that same stunt for years. In Vietnam he weaved through a maze of enemy fire to retrieve Snake-Eyes's body and Terri's photograph - and then back to the evacuation helicopter. Stalker said he dodged the bullets "like they were slow pigeons." At the time, his little trick really spooked Stalker.
    Is Storm Shadow the one with the "ear that sees?"

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanjacoby
    ". . .score one for the antiquated concept of redemption." Is the author making Flint philosophical, or borderline "koo-koo" here? What's that mean?
    Either/Or, I still don't understand that one. Is Flint the one redeeming himself by killing more bad guys, or what?

I suppose everything will make plenty of sense when the arc is played through. (Even though, every issue has its own title, I still think they're going off arcs. The 6-issue subscription is why I think that.)

I'm much more interested now with the last two issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreaker
    Is Storm Shadow the one with the "ear that sees?"
    Yes. Please allow me to further elaborate...

The "Ear that Sees" was first mentioned in GI Joe #26 and was originally attributed uniquely to Storm Shadow (not Snake-Eyes). It was described as "a sense of hearing so acute that living creatures behind solid walls became tangible targets..." In Storm Shadow's case, the talent was largely put to use in archery practice - requiring the killing of living animals to hone. It was this deadly talent that partially contributed to the Arashikage clan members suspecting Storm Shadow as the murderer of the Hard Master.

Later, in GI Joe #32, the Soft Master deflects a pair of Destro's wrist rockets behind his back - without turning around. The dumbfounded arms dealer begins to ask how this was done, but is interrupted by the Soft Master's explanation: "The Eye that Sees, Sixth Sense, Third Eye, the Ear that Sees...all the same...names never matter..." This statement would seem to broaden the earlier definition and imply that the "Ear that Sees" is more descriptive of a ninja's sense of overall awareness to the world around him rather than a singular biological sense. There are also both intrinsic psychic and spiritual undertones implied to be associated with the talent - hinted at by Spirit's words to the Soft Master earlier in the issue: "You have the hand that heals...and the eye that sees! The eye that sees the hidden world!"

I have probably given you a bit more of an answer than you desired. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by danielmd06; 08-19-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreaker
    Either/Or, I still don't understand that one. Is Flint the one redeeming himself by killing more bad guys, or what?
    I'm pretty sure Flint was responding to being told by the others that Storm Shadow got info from the Baroness.

I don't have the comic in front of me, but that's how I read it.

Richard J.

Which Wingfield is the one behind the satellite attacks? Is it the dad (shot in the back, Marvel issue #4), or the son (also shot, some issue of Frontline)?

Hey what's going on with DD? They haven't killed off a major character in like two issues..