I was an engineer at Hasbro for 20 years... - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zartanmaniac
    Did anyone see how much that awe striker misb went for on ebay? I'm not sure if yosh-boy is a yo joe member, but he ought to be thrashed about the bum for paying over $1,000 for an awe striker misb. Hey Yosh-boy if you're out there I've got one in better shape for $500. I hope at $1,000 it will be delivered in person by the hasbro engineer and will come with a free dinner or something.
    The Craziness!!!!!!

Jeremy
    settle down, why do you even care? is it because you were outbid?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by whitedalek
    I agree. If somebody wants to pay alot for an item, then it's their business. Being mocked for buying a high-end item tends to make those people not post about their extremely rare items that they've got.
    But i think the point is that this isn't a high-end item. It's a common one. Period. And it's honestly not worth the price paid. Yes, the provenance is nice but it doesn't add $600+ to the price of the piece. I mean jeezus, i've seen 2 Ups and original artwork (both conceptual and packaging) with letters of provenance from Hasbro employees sell for way less than this and they're far and away more historically significant than a boxed AWE Striker. By a long shot.

I'm not trying to take anything away from this thread or the designer's work but honestly, we have to try to keep a little perspective in this hobby.
    Your Toys...Our Tattoos
    http://www.tattoosandtoys.com

I think the hype w/in this thread helped too.
    Visualize world peace through Cobra military supremacy.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did anyone see how much that awe striker misb went for on ebay? I'm not sure if yosh-boy is a yo joe member, but he ought to be thrashed about the bum for paying over $1,000 for an awe striker misb. Hey Yosh-boy if you're out there I've got one in better shape for $500. I hope at $1,000 it will be delivered in person by the hasbro engineer and will come with a free dinner or something.
    The Craziness!!!!!!

Jeremy
    Yes Yosh-boy is a member here on Yojoe. I think $1000 for that vehicle was pretty high myself and it only got there from a couple guys going head to head that really wanted it. I set up a snipe for a fairly large amount on that vehicle myself, but unfortunately it never triggered because it soared up past my max before it had a chance. I highly doubt you have one in better shape then the one that just sold, but if you do i'm sure myself or Trent will take it off your hands. Post some pictures of that baby and lets see what you got.

Like others have said, I think it was the fact that the AWE Striker was sealed and in pristine condition that drove the price up. The novelty of the original owner's status and signature were nice bonuses, but actually not the major driving factors.
    Last edited by danielmd06; 12-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Half of this thread should have been in the buy sell trade thread. What happened as well was possibly unplanned prime advertising. Quite an interesting conflict of interest that even a mod would be hard pressed to identify before the fact.
    Visualize world peace through Cobra military supremacy.

The Craziness!!!!!!

Jeremy

Honestly Im rather amazed that you havent been kicked off yet for all the ignorant things youve said over the past 249 posts you have. I mean come on do we really need you bashing both a hasbro engineer and a member for selling and buying something? Honestly what is wrong w/ you?
    Parts needed --- buy or trade!!
    Night Striker -- vertical veins & horizontal veins
    Dreadnok stinger -- Drivers door
    CAT -- gun tip, battery cover

And people wonder why high end collectors never post here...

If I was going to get trashed for winning something, I wouldn't say anything about it.

If were going to act as a commmunity, rule 1 has got to be to respect one another.

I oftened wondered why Ultra Collectors never fessed up on stuff and supplied important information to help inform the community of what they know and what they have... I was naive to wonder this. It makes perfect sense now...

Mindless comments like the one from ZM force the ultra collector underground.

We work so hard to build up a sense of trust among each other and it amazes me how one post can tear it all down.

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

The exception to your "rule". . .

Quote Originally Posted by GBPackRat
    I oftened wondered why Ultra Collectors never fessed up on stuff and supplied important information to help inform the community of what they know and what they have... I was naive to wonder this. It makes perfect sense now...
    :Paging Mark Bellomo to the editiorial dept. please. Mark to the editiorial dept:

-PJ

Defending Myself on Your Accusations!!!!!!!!

I want to first thank all of you who commented on my comments. First of all why is it ignorant to say we as collectors should pay reasonable prices? And to be honest its a few select high bidders on ebay that keep items out of reach for the average collector to complete his collection. No I ddin't bid on this item nor did I want to. I bought two of these sealed awhile back for like $45 each and they were in awesome shape. First off as I said to a fellow member here why does it matter that this came off the line the first day or even hour of production? It's just the same as any one that came down that line after until 1986 or so. And even if it was right off the line and mint when acquired that doesn't mean over 20 years it's still mint.after all he did say he used the defiant as a coffe table. I challenge any of you to look at the red trim on the box surrounding the figure bubble and see the large gash in the corner of it. Hah UH huh guess you didn't see that did you. I would make a wager of $100 that the awe striker wouldn't grade over an afa 75 or an 80 if graded, so how, tell me how is this a truly mint piece. I respect this guy as a hasbro engineer, but what's next vintage toilet paper from hasbro's design bathroom? Would you pay an extra $700-$800 for that if it had a slip of certification. and to conclude if someone overpays crazily for something they should not be embarrased to post on these boards, but they as collectors should be allowed to be called out if they grossly overpay. I think its unfair that I'm being criticized when I see countless members criticize other toy websites for charging crazy prices, shouldn't people who pay the crazy high prices be on the same level

And Yosh-Boy I apologize for my comments. The truth is the crazier and the higher the prices these big time buyers spend makes it easier for me to get gems at reasonable prices when they're tapped out of cash. So a big thank you to all the high bidders.
    He's the Master of Disguise-Zartan!!!