I was an engineer at Hasbro for 20 years... - Page 15

yojoe.com

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

my two cents

Thought I would chime in, I just got done reading the whole malee. So totally a hero if you consider due to my extensive traveling you helped develop toys that left a lasting impression on me and kept me company in many lonely nieghborhoods. AWE auction, that's awesome it sold for that much for you H.E. I love it when mine go for more than I thought they were worth. Personal opinion from where I am sitting way too much, opinion from the winners eyes "I could totally blow 1500 on this" Seriously if I had the jack I would have been bidding. Due to it's sentimental value, that and I hate to loose I go to many public auctions and am shocked at what people pay for other items so this wasn't too big for me. I think it is awesome where little girls toys are at. I have a almost two yr old and she loves My Little Pony and many other Hasbro products. Though you may still be in the hate hasbro mode! So do you think since they farm out the sculpts to other countries who will make the product, that that's why Joes and other lines for boys have lost their heart???

ttfndude

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

craig, you wouldnt have any inside info as to the future of gi joe would you? or is it top secret?

Quote Originally Posted by hasbroengineer

Happy New Year to all! I love fireworks and will see a great display in Providence, RI
    Craig where in MA do you live? I live in Providence myself and will also be enjoying the fireworks! Would love to meet you and talk Hasbro one day!

Quote Originally Posted by jabba the drunk
    Happy New Year to you too, Craig. I went to Providence College, but never saw the New Year's fireworks. If I'm recalling correctly, I think I've heard it's an excellent show. Enjoy.

-Peter
    Hey Peter!

I live right around the corner from there...when did you go there?

I would have hosted a GI Joe New Year's Eve party if I'd known these guys were around here sooner!
    WANTED: Two (2) clear visors

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lody666
    I live right around the corner from there...when did you go there?
    Hey Lody! Thanks for the party invitation man. Unfortunately, I'm now a 3 1/2 hour drive from Providence, back in NY. Much appreciated anyway.

Not to divert the thread, but just to say that I was in school at PC from '92 to '96. Great times, great school, and great city!

-Peter
    ProjectPDD.com : The Definitive " Pimp Daddy Destro " Action Figure Resource

JoeIntel.com : The site for EVERYTHING G.I.Joe. From posters, lunchboxes & store displays to 3 3/4" 25th action figures, prototypes & international items. Get knowledgeable on the full range of 'Joe collectibles since the 80's & join up to the forums!

Always looking for unique packaged DESTRO items & all G.I.Joe preproduction items (artwork, prototypes, etc.). Contact me! I pay well!

Smile Thank You

Just wanted to thank you for everything you and the hasbro family has done. I remember spending summers at my cousins house in Rhode Island and every weekend we had this couple who were friends with our parents. They worked for hasbro and they used to bring us two figures each every weekend for as long as i remembered. These were figures before they went into package. It was a sad they when they retired and moved to brazil. Again Thank You

Craig, Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, if so I'm sure someone will set me straight I saw in one of your replies, you said you made the headquarters, which one did you make?

Talking A question or 2 for the engineer

1987 Defiant Space Shuttle Complex
    This was a monster! I was responsible for the crawler and gantry portion, another engineer did the booster, and yet another did the shuttle itself. I designed the crawler and many of its components in 3-D wireframe and had as many as 12 draftsmen doing the actual parts drawings. I did the crawler base drawing in CAD, comprising 5 E-size sheets with 42 section views...yikes! It was so huge, I used a boxed sample as a table in my office for the next 3 years. Finally got it home after borrowing a pick-up truck.
    Hi,
    I am quite a fan of your work on this item. The whole design of the crawler/gantry is amazing. It has been and will always remain my favorite GI Joe vehicle. It is a work of art. I still have mine to this day. I was curious about a few things:

1. How much detail did you decide yourself on aspects such as the driver's area layout including the periscope gun, The rooms at the base of the crawler, and the setup of the levels by the elevators.

2. Did you invent/design the mechanisms for manned gun emplacements on "rails", elevators, and Crawler elevation system?

3. Are you aware of the possible "flaw" with the elevation mechanism. The crank is weak and often breaks (sometimes throwing the rod) making the gantry elevation not work properly. And elevation has to be done by lifting the gantry by hand after this. I have seen 6 defiants(my 1 included) and 5 suffer from the broken crank. To me it looks like a materials problem(not a design problem). It seems like hasbro cut corners on the plastic compromising the integrity with weaker materials than needed.

Also who decided to use the Snake armor back Panel & Bivouac radio as detail on the gantry levels? I loved that touch.

Hi,
    I am quite a fan of your work on this item. The whole design of the crawler/gantry is amazing. It has been and will always remain my favorite GI Joe vehicle. It is a work of art. I still have mine to this day. I was curious about a few things:

1. How much detail did you decide yourself on aspects such as the driver's area layout including the periscope gun, The rooms at the base of the crawler, and the setup of the levels by the elevators.

2. Did you invent/design the mechanisms for manned gun emplacements on "rails", elevators, and Crawler elevation system?

3. Are you aware of the possible "flaw" with the elevation mechanism. The crank is weak and often breaks (sometimes throwing the rod) making the gantry elevation not work properly. And elevation has to be done by lifting the gantry by hand after this. I have seen 6 defiants(my 1 included) and 5 suffer from the broken crank. To me it looks like a materials problem(not a design problem). It seems like hasbro cut corners on the plastic compromising the integrity with weaker materials than needed.

Also who decided to use the Snake armor back Panel & Bivouac radio as detail on the gantry levels? I loved that touch.[/quote]

3) I can answer that directly... Hasbro did want to spend the money for a superior gear material.... I speceified the material myself. They let me down during my protests.
    Craig

2) I pretty much did everything as it pertains to crawler and gantry.

1) An engineer, now deceased, did the shuttle and booster

I'm still alive.. Craig

GI Joe

Sorry for the reverse response. I'm not used to the forums.

I have a never-opened-packaged GI Joe Defiant Space Shuttle Complex in PERFECT condition... still in the bubble wrap. Maybe you guys would want it, maybe not. Send me a personal e-mail. I realize that this is not a sales forum.

Craig

Talking Thank you for your answer.

I really appreciate your input. I could tell the design was sound, i always suspected Hasbro messed up with the materials. Now I Know.

Again, Amazing job on the crawler/gantry. Even as a kid it made me think of the hard work put into the design. The thing is mind-blowing in design & function.