I was an engineer at Hasbro for 20 years... - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hasbroengineer
    It depends on which area you want to focus on. There is the engineering aspect, and the design aspect.

The designer pretty much supplies the engineer with drawings/renderings and sometimes a non-working model. The engineer takes that info and makes it work and be manufacturable, safe, reliable, and cost-effective. That was my end, and I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering from MIT. Industrial design is a fine way to enter into the design end, and you should be very talented with Adobe Illustrator.

It's a fun career, but not too many jobs out there.

(edit) I should also add that most of the engineering is now done in China by the factories themselves to shave costs. The factories throw in the engineering for free in order to get the business. This started about 5 years ago, so this is not a very good way to proceed nowadays (I was layed off after 20 years).
    After 20 years!?
    What do you think of the current state of the toy industry?
    How did you like working with Designers (ID, toy, product, whatnot) as compared to working with other engineers?
    What were (and what are now) the software programs used for CAD? (autoCAD?)
    I would like to know more about plastics--what are common types of polymers used in toys? Can you tell us more about a "drop test?" Flues, runners, gates, I'd like to know if there are any certain specifics needed with toys.

Well, anyway, you've been bombarded here, but like everyone else, thank you for sharing some insights!!

BTW, the AWE striker is great, 20 years old and still as good as new!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Defiant is one of my favorites in my collection. Part of that is because of all the hard work you and your old co-workers put into it and part because of the work I put into restoring mine. It's a great toy that only death or deep financial disaster will separate me from it!

I do have a question for you. What made you decide to stop by the board now and share your experiences?

Thumbs up From G.I.Joe's #1 Fan!

My name is Craig Selvage. ...
    Craig,

I just wanted to personally thank you! Your contributions have been GREATLY appreciated by the numerous amounts of people out there all over the world, young and old. I've always cherished G.I.Joe because they were a REALLY big part of my childhood. It's something I've always valued very passionately, even up until this very day. In my eyes and to me, you are a hero... because you went about your work with such enthusiasm, passion and dedication. Something that generally and truly lacks in this day and age. Again... thanks Craig, for being you.

Sincerely
    An

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to the boards and thank you for sharing your G.I. Joe related history with Hasbro.

-Lewis
    I collect 1983-94 G.I. Joe action figures, vehicles, accessories, & file cards. I also collect G.I. Joe comic books, and 2004 Wizards of the Coast G.I. Joe Trading Card Game trading cards.

My Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/87578...st-buying.html

First off, I want to say thank you like every one else. It is really cool of you to make yourself available to our questions. Also, I am a big fan and owner of all the Joe toys you designed. So, here are my questions. On the defiant crawler, some one sculpted a piece of cobra snake armor into the mold. Was that you? Some one also sculpted a rat onto the mold of the shuttle. Is this common to joke around and put stuff like that into the toy design? Do you know of any other finished toys with jokes like that?
    Thanks again.
    Chris Murray aka Topson

Thanks for sharing, just one question for now. Are you also a collector/fan, or are you somewhat indifferent to GI Joe. I'm guessing you aren't sick of the line, since you are here, but what is your opinion of GI Joe, overall?
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Thank you

Just to let you know how you impacted one Gi joe fan: I had a ton of GiJoe toys. Often I didnt want to pull out all of them to set up a quick scenario. So for a quick play one of my favorite things to do was to have Crankcase work on the awestriker by removing the cover that revealed the engine and bouncing the Awestriker on all kinds of terrain thanks to the suspension, as they were chasing down Cobra.

Thanks.
    Gi joe helped me to learn to swim! And knowing was half the battle!
    Skystriker's to Trade list http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...414#post287414
    Skystriker's Wants list http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...413#post287413
    Skystriker's Body Parts wants /trade http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=64536
    Here's some pics of my stuff http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Red face

I thought it might be fun to introduce myself and offer answers to whatever questions I can answer.

I designed/engineered the following products:

1985 A.W.E. Striker
    It was very fun to do and challenging to hide all of the snaps. I personally drew every part in pencil on vellum as it was in the pre CAD days. I am particularly proud of the articulating steering and suspension. We were unable to afford acetal plastic for the suspension, so unfortunately it does sag a bit over time. I have five virgin samples that I snagged off the assembly line. Some day I'll offer them for sale.

1987 Defiant Space Shuttle Complex
    This was a monster! I was responsible for the crawler and gantry portion, another engineer did the booster, and yet another did the shuttle itself. I designed the crawler and many of its components in 3-D wireframe and had as many as 12 draftsmen doing the actual parts drawings. I did the crawler base drawing in CAD, comprising 5 E-size sheets with 42 section views...yikes! It was so huge, I used a boxed sample as a table in my office for the next 3 years. Finally got it home after borrowing a pick-up truck.

1990 Avalanche
    Except for the tank treads, this was pretty much done in CAD, with the help of 1 draftsman. The disk shooter was fun to do, and the spring-loaded missile launcher was a new design, the internals of which I standardized for use in many products for years to come. That's why most missiles are interchangeable after 1990 for a few years.

1992 G.I. Joe Headquarters
    I did this job completely myself in CAD with the addition of sandbags, rocks, seat detail, etc. added by sculptors. I really like how the gatling gun turned out.

That's it. Went on to preschool, infant and girls toys for the next 11 years.

If you have any questions, comments, or whatever, I try to answer. I'll visit from time to time, but I'm not a collector, so be patient
    i have one question......why did you leave, the big h needs someone to design some more vehicles of the awe strikers quality
    Always wanted: Foreign figs, protos and test shots, and vs 1 BATs and parts.

Here's my question: What types of drugs were your co-workers using when they thought of the Cobra Pogo Ballistic Battle Ball?

Seriously, thanks for posting to the board.

We're not worthy

My name is Craig Selvage.
    I'd like to add my two cents worth and say thank you for helping to make these toys.
    While you may have regarded it as just a job you have lived the dream of many GI Joe fans.
    Its good of you to join this forum but the platitudes and praise you will receive should make it worth your while.
    I always regarded the AWE striker as one of the best designed vehicles to be produced by Hasbro. I still remember it getting released as part of the Stargate line and feeling a pang of jealousy that a non- Joe line is getting it. Sad , I know but it illustrates the depth of feeling many (if not most) of us on this forum feel for GI Joe.
    I hope you continue to visit from time to time.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."