yojoe.com

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedalek
    Why, DNA testing of course!
    ...................lmao

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gutstheberserker
    I think the certificate is a good idea but I would not autograph the box unless requested by the buyer.
    I wholeheartedly agree!

An autograph directly on the box can greatly devalue a MOC or MISB item. I know of a few signed vintage Star Wars items that were signed by the respective actors...and the items have become worth much less than similar condition "clean" items. I know many collectors who will not buy an item that is signed, as they consider it damage to the item.

Most of an autograph's meaning and value is it's meaning/value to the person who had the item signed, but an autograph on boxed toys can tend to lose it's meaning if the item is passed along to someone else.

In this particular case, this is a normal boxed Defiant. The unique and specialness of the item is that is was owned by a Hasbro engineer. The best way to "prove" the item was owned by Craig would be to have a letter of authenticity, along with a paper-trail, pictures of the item with the cert and owner, etc. "Provenance", they call this. ( Yep, I learned it from watching Antique's Road Show every Monday night. Darn good show! )

-Peter
    ProjectPDD.com : The Definitive " Pimp Daddy Destro " Action Figure Resource

JoeIntel.com : The site for EVERYTHING G.I.Joe. From posters, lunchboxes & store displays to 3 3/4" 25th action figures, prototypes & international items. Get knowledgeable on the full range of 'Joe collectibles since the 80's & join up to the forums!

Always looking for unique packaged DESTRO items & all G.I.Joe preproduction items (artwork, prototypes, etc.). Contact me! I pay well!

Quote Originally Posted by jabba the drunk
    An autograph directly on the box can greatly devalue a MOC or MISB item. I know of a few signed vintage Star Wars items that were signed by the respective actors...and the items have become worth much less than similar condition "clean" items. I know many collectors who will not buy an item that is signed, as they consider it damage to the item.
    That's what I was getting at but knew I'd be fitted for snow shoes (http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=31991) if I said it.
    Last edited by gutstheberserker; 12-09-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Most of an autograph's meaning and value is it's meaning/value to the person who had the item signed, but an autograph on boxed toys can tend to lose it's meaning if the item is passed along to someone else.
    I agree. Autographs are a really weird thing with some people. If I met someone who I would want their autograph and got it then it means something. It is something to remind you of the meeting. But to go and buy an autograph of someone seems really silly because it doesn't have any significance. Obviously there are a lot of people that don't agree with me otherwise there would be no market for selling them. I read somewhere that fake autographs make up something really high like 80% of all celebrity autographs. So if you ever bought an autograph there is very good chance it is fake. Disturbing.

Update

Thanks once again for all of the kind words. The response is pretty overwhelming!

I will go through and make a note of all of the unanswered questions so far, and put together my best effort at answers. Look for it tonight sometime, as I'm busy working right now. I did mention that my visits might be a little sporadic, so thanks for hanging in there.

I'll also be checking out my Defiant to see what condition it's in. I know the outer box sleeve is in bad shape, but don't remember if the box was opened or not. I'd love to free up some space in my garage

As far as the AWE strikers, I can write a letter certifying that it was engineered by me, they were taken directly off the Hasro assembly line by me, and then stored at my home for some 20 years without opening a box. This letter would be signed and notarized, and included with the boxed item. Look for one in e-bay (I'm 88RR20).

Till later, Craig

Hi Craig,
    I have two questions for you. Many 1990's molds ended up lost, so to speak. Do you know if the 1992 Shockwave D.E.F. mold(used for the 2002 Sure Fire) is still around, and will it be used anytime during 2006(as a TRU exclusive or comic pack figure)?
    You can create anything if you use your imagination...it has no limits.

I am the Asian Sensation of Innovation!

How about an unpunched 12-back grey hair Obi-Wan Kenobi signed by Alec Guinness? Your logic holds up only so far man.

The value of the autograph can also increase the value of the toy. It depends on which is more valuable. If the signature is rarer, it can only enhance it.

In this particular case, this is a normal boxed Defiant. The unique and specialness of the item is that is was owned by a Hasbro engineer. The best way to "prove" the item was owned by Craig would be to have a letter of authenticity, along with a paper-trail, pictures of the item with the cert and owner, etc. "Provenance", they call this. ( Yep, I learned it from watching Antique's Road Show every Monday night. Darn good show! )
    Good, then we're in agreement. Because that's exactly what I was proposing.
    It can either be sold as another sealed Defiant, or it can be elevated to the level of a very unique piece of toy history with an autograph on the box (which wouldn't harm it).

-PJ
    Last edited by Obiwanjacoby; 12-12-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Question

Where do signed comics fall into this?

-PJ

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91
    I agree. Autographs are a really weird thing with some people. If I met someone who I would want their autograph and got it then it means something. It is something to remind you of the meeting. But to go and buy an autograph of someone seems really silly because it doesn't have any significance. Obviously there are a lot of people that don't agree with me otherwise there would be no market for selling them. I read somewhere that fake autographs make up something really high like 80% of all celebrity autographs. So if you ever bought an autograph there is very good chance it is fake. Disturbing.

Lightbulb To prove I'm open minded. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanjacoby
    or it can be elevated to the level of a very unique piece of toy history with an autograph on the box (which wouldn't harm it).

-PJ
    I take this one back. If there's another way to determine its individuality apart from other Defiants, then there's no need to sign it. Something like a serial number on the box, a unique sticker, or a tag that says "sales sample". Some carded sales samples have these on the package.

-PJ

-How about an unpunched 12-back grey hair Obi-Wan Kenobi signed by Alec Guinness? Your logic holds up only so far man.

The value of the autograph can also increase the value of the toy. It depends on which is more valuable. If the signature is rarer, it can only enhance it.

This is not really true.. a 12 back ben Kenobi signed by Alec would only be worth as much as an Alec signature.. Or, as much an an alec on a ROTJ card obi, etc...

Therefore, the signature does not make the figure more $$... Same as baseball cards or whatever... The math of.. Alec sig is worth 300, and 12 back worth 200.. so its now worth 500 does not apply.