Removing leftover decal residue??? - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    From a tip at JoeCustoms, I picked up some Bestine. It's very chemical, but will do the job when GooGone can't. Leaves a residue, too, but washing usually gets rid of it. The best use: with a Q-tip, you can clean the grime off the edges of stickers. It will remove the color of stickers, though, so if you're keeping them on, be careful. Otherwise, it'll get any sticker off. At $15/can, it ain't cheap, but with a coupon it was a good purchase for me (all my vehicles look crummy).
    ***cyko's want list and items for sale vintage & new***

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks Flpohouse

Thank you soooo much Flophouse,I got the bottle of goo gone with citrus and your right,it works great.That other in the can is so strong it burns and melts the plastic.I had to learn the hard way melting some of that wing but the sticker wil cover most of the damage.Now i can restore all my vehicles now.I thought I was stuck with dirty stickers from years of storage but now the look GREAT.I could'nt be happier with this result.
    Last edited by wesidejdubtre; 04-20-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Whats the best clear glue for reapplying old stickers?

I have tried the elemers liquid cement and works fine however,you can see the glue dried up under clear parts of the sticker.Most stickers are clear anyway with numbers or writing.This looks kinda sloppy.Ive gone to hobbie shops,Lowes,Home Depot,And Walmart.Know one has any answers.Ive used goo gone and cleaned all the residue off the vehicle and sticker,Im starting to wonder if there is a glue that exists but if anyone knows my fellow Joe guys will.Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

lesson learnd

this is more about a members question about using rubbing alcohol to clean off stickers. I foolishly tried it on a TIGER FORCE TIGER STING and it started to take the black paint from the stripes off so I quit right away but some of the damage was done. most of it was covered up by new stickers (thankfully) I thought I'd get kinda crafty & use the technique on the slugger to take the paint off to get a instant mail order slugger-NO DICE it didnt do anything to take that camo paint off . I would stick to goo gone for all future needs in this area. I can mention one other thing that you never want to use- GASOLINE. I guess I just lost my head many years ago & tried to use that to take off sticker residue from a hiss tank, well it works but it will smear the plastic & the small detail on the side of the hiss tank was wiped off for good

Yes, Goo Gone is the be all, end all in decal removal. There really is no reason to use anything else. Over the last month, I have removed decals from my Night Raven, Skystriker, and Terror Drome. No problems whatsoever. Just peel off the old decal, put a little on a paper towel, and rub off the residue. Done!

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper
    this is more about a members question about using rubbing alcohol to clean off stickers. I foolishly tried it on a TIGER FORCE TIGER STING and it started to take the black paint from the stripes off so I quit right away but some of the damage was done. most of it was covered up by new stickers (thankfully) I thought I'd get kinda crafty & use the technique on the slugger to take the paint off to get a instant mail order slugger-NO DICE it didnt do anything to take that camo paint off . I would stick to goo gone for all future needs in this area. I can mention one other thing that you never want to use- GASOLINE. I guess I just lost my head many years ago & tried to use that to take off sticker residue from a hiss tank, well it works but it will smear the plastic & the small detail on the side of the hiss tank was wiped off for good
    Crashing through the sky, comes the fearful cry, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Armies of the night, evil taking flight, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading far and wide!!!!

Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/67073-joes-needed.html

Sale/Trade List: http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/74457-m...ale-trade.html

Does Goo-Gone fade the coloring on the plastic of the vehicles or mess it up at all?

Quote Originally Posted by MadCap69 View Post
    Does Goo-Gone fade the coloring on the plastic of the vehicles or mess it up at all?
    No, it doesn't. But you will notice that the plastic has faded underneath where the decal used to be. But that doesn't have anything to do with the goo gone. If you apply replacement decals, you won't see that faded spot anymore.
    Crashing through the sky, comes the fearful cry, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Armies of the night, evil taking flight, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading far and wide!!!!

Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/67073-joes-needed.html

Sale/Trade List: http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/74457-m...ale-trade.html