Sigma 6 + $15 = Annoying Pile Of Garbage - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Are you serious about a certain Jedi that doesn't know that there's a difference? Perhaps he should be booted down to Padawn or get his Pepsi taken away!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sigma 6 (Commando?) + $13 = less Annoying Pile of Garbage

So it's been 10 months since I last acquired a Sigma-6 figure. These days, they appear to be called G.I. Joe "Commando" and "Soldier" (based upon their packaging) instead of Sigma-6.

I picked up Windfire Cobra Commander to go along with the other 2 CCs of this scale that I own.

In 10 months, what has changed:

1) Figure was purchased on sale for $12.88. But similar figures can be found online for $12.96 retail. Not much of a sale at .08 cents off but it definitely is cheaper than the $14.76 I paid for the last figure.
    2) No foam inserts.
    3) Figure comes with "Kung-fu grip" which is just a spring-loaded right hand that helps grasp things.
    4) End caps have been remolded from previous design.
    5) A lot less packaging material appeared to be used this time around. Attached are photos of the "product" and a list of the "post-consumer waste":

- hard plastic outer sleeve (“filecard” was on the back. That part is not “waste”.)
    - decorative thick cardboard backing insert
    - plastic insert/backing to support/pose figure
    - 2 plastic insert endcaps
    - plastic straps holding the package together
    - plastic hanger
    - 4 clear, thin, “stretchy bands” to hold pieces / pose stuff
    - 1 tiny plastic insert for support
    - 3 plastic coated metal twist ties
    - plastic bag for case handles
    - tape to hold everything else in place

Results:
    Less waste...but less toy also.
    There appears to be less packaging material used and there are no foam inserts. One would guess that less packaging material means less cost. But IMO, you're getting less toy also in the process. There are really no accessories with this figure outside of the chariot. So the price is $2 less than the previous figures: is it less because of the reduced materials or reduced toy contents? The $8.96 "Soldier" figures appear to come with more stuff...at a cheaper cost.

Opening this figure was less burdensome than the previous 2. Twisty ties have increased from 1 to 3 since last time. Only 1 twisty tie was hard to remove. The cardboard backing insert has a cool looking scene (if you were a child) but is pretty much worthless.

The toy is OK but is lacking in the accessory department. The 2 previous Cobra Commanders came with so-so accessories (fusion blaster was cool) but this one pulls up lame with a staff and 2 giant slabs of plastic that form the chariot. The kung-fu grip is kind of neat but I could see being annoying or just outright breaking. The endcaps that form the case have been redesigned and won't stack as nicely with the other 2 figure's.

GRADES:
    Figure: A. Again, love the articulation of these figures. But the mold of CC's hands look like he is wearing oven mitts.
    Accessories: D. You get a staff and a chariot (that weakly shoots disks). The cheaper "Soldier" figures come with way cooler accessories. (Instead of a chariot, CC should have came with an EasyBake oven to go with his oven mitts)
    Instructions: A. Really nothing to screw-up unlike the fusion blaster fiasco last time.
    Packaging: D. There appears to be less packaging material used but maybe a redesign could cut it down more...thus reducing the cost of the figure more?

Thoughts:
    The figure is over-priced at darn near $13. It should have been packaged & priced like the "Soldiers". The "weapons case" is pretty much worthless cause there are no weapons to put in it...outside of the staff. The chariot won't fit inside. (I was able to stuff CC inside of it. Guess I could use it as a casket, with Halloween coming up & whatnot). And for a real kicker, the store had the large "Adventure Team" sets ($19.99 retail) marked for clearance at $4.88.

Not sure about other places but around here these 8-inch figures continue to sit on the shelves and collect dust.

Customizer notes:
    One could pick up Windfire Cobra Commander ($13) plus the Pyramid in Peril adventure set ($5) and customize youself an 8-inch Serpentor figure pretty easy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grabage.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	3097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	3098  

Quote Originally Posted by frozen_nd
    And for a real kicker, the store had the large "Adventure Team" sets ($19.99 retail) marked for clearance at $4.88.
    Whoah...what store is this?
    Trade and Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48657
    My 3 3/4" Figure and Vehicle Price Guide: http://www.GIJoePriceGuide.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Darn you Sigma 6! I got rid of all my Sigma 6 stuff (mostly because of space issues, but also because the friggin figures fell over all the time) and figured I was done with them. Now I keep seeing these new figures for "Adventure Team" and they are somewhat tempting (mostly though I think the temptation stems from there being no 25A stuff on the pegs), especially the new TRU exclusive Land, Sea, and Air 3-pack.
    Oh well, I used to call them Sigma Sux, and I still feel that way to a certain extent, but they have been growing on me. However, until they cost less than open heart surgery I'll probably stay away from buying them.
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

Quote Originally Posted by samluvsjoes
    Darn you Sigma 6! I got rid of all my Sigma 6 stuff (mostly because of space issues, but also because the friggin figures fell over all the time) and figured I was done with them. Now I keep seeing these new figures for "Adventure Team" and they are somewhat tempting (mostly though I think the temptation stems from there being no 25A stuff on the pegs), especially the new TRU exclusive Land, Sea, and Air 3-pack.
    Oh well, I used to call them Sigma Sux, and I still feel that way to a certain extent, but they have been growing on me. However, until they cost less than open heart surgery I'll probably stay away from buying them.
    Sam
    Two points:

1) One of the reasons I collect Sigma 6 is because you can often get them super cheap. I've paid retail for probably a third of my collection. Lt. Stone, the SE Quad and the SE paratrooper were the only figures I paid over retail for because I couldn't find them anywhere but Ebay.

2) 3 3/4" stands work very well with the 8 inch Joes. It gives them much more stability.

Quote Originally Posted by green firefly
    Two points:

1) One of the reasons I collect Sigma 6 is because you can often get them super cheap. I've paid retail for probably a third of my collection. Lt. Stone, the SE Quad and the SE paratrooper were the only figures I paid over retail for because I couldn't find them anywhere but Ebay.

2) 3 3/4" stands work very well with the 8 inch Joes. It gives them much more stability.
    Cool, thanks for the stand info.
    What I'd meant about them costing so much is that I feel that the retail prices are too much for one figure. I realize they're tall and whatnot, but they still cost more than I want to pay for just one figure.
    Sam

Cool, thanks for the stand info.
    What I'd meant about them costing so much is that I feel that the retail prices are too much for one figure. I realize they're tall and whatnot, but they still cost more than I want to pay for just one figure.
    Sam
    I agree that $15 was too much and it was a mistake. But I got most of my figures in the $5 to $8 range from HTS, Amazon, Ebay and store markdowns. That was great for me, but a bad sign for the 8 inch line as a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen_nd
    So it's been 10 months since I last acquired a Sigma-6 figure. These days, they appear to be called G.I. Joe "Commando" and "Soldier" (based upon their packaging) instead of Sigma-6.

I picked up Windfire Cobra Commander to go along with the other 2 CCs of this scale that I own.

In 10 months, what has changed:

1) Figure was purchased on sale for $12.88. But similar figures can be found online for $12.96 retail. Not much of a sale at .08 cents off but it definitely is cheaper than the $14.76 I paid for the last figure.
    2) No foam inserts.
    3) Figure comes with "Kung-fu grip" which is just a spring-loaded right hand that helps grasp things.
    4) End caps have been remolded from previous design.
    5) A lot less packaging material appeared to be used this time around. Attached are photos of the "product" and a list of the "post-consumer waste":

- hard plastic outer sleeve (“filecard” was on the back. That part is not “waste”.)
    - decorative thick cardboard backing insert
    - plastic insert/backing to support/pose figure
    - 2 plastic insert endcaps
    - plastic straps holding the package together
    - plastic hanger
    - 4 clear, thin, “stretchy bands” to hold pieces / pose stuff
    - 1 tiny plastic insert for support
    - 3 plastic coated metal twist ties
    - plastic bag for case handles
    - tape to hold everything else in place

Results:
    Less waste...but less toy also.

There appears to be less packaging material used and there are no foam inserts. One would guess that less packaging material means less cost. But IMO, you're getting less toy also in the process. There are really no accessories with this figure outside of the chariot. So the price is $2 less than the previous figures: is it less because of the reduced materials or reduced toy contents? The $8.96 "Soldier" figures appear to come with more stuff...at a cheaper cost.

Opening this figure was less burdensome than the previous 2. Twisty ties have increased from 1 to 3 since last time. Only 1 twisty tie was hard to remove. The cardboard backing insert has a cool looking scene (if you were a child) but is pretty much worthless.

The toy is OK but is lacking in the accessory department. The 2 previous Cobra Commanders came with so-so accessories (fusion blaster was cool) but this one pulls up lame with a staff and 2 giant slabs of plastic that form the chariot. The kung-fu grip is kind of neat but I could see being annoying or just outright breaking. The endcaps that form the case have been redesigned and won't stack as nicely with the other 2 figure's.

GRADES:
    Figure: A. Again, love the articulation of these figures. But the mold of CC's hands look like he is wearing oven mitts.
    Accessories: D. You get a staff and a chariot (that weakly shoots disks). The cheaper "Soldier" figures come with way cooler accessories. (Instead of a chariot, CC should have came with an EasyBake oven to go with his oven mitts)
    Instructions: A. Really nothing to screw-up unlike the fusion blaster fiasco last time.
    Packaging: D. There appears to be less packaging material used but maybe a redesign could cut it down more...thus reducing the cost of the figure more?

Thoughts:
    The figure is over-priced at darn near $13. It should have been packaged & priced like the "Soldiers". The "weapons case" is pretty much worthless cause there are no weapons to put in it...outside of the staff. The chariot won't fit inside. (I was able to stuff CC inside of it. Guess I could use it as a casket, with Halloween coming up & whatnot). And for a real kicker, the store had the large "Adventure Team" sets ($19.99 retail) marked for clearance at $4.88.

Not sure about other places but around here these 8-inch figures continue to sit on the shelves and collect dust.

Customizer notes:
    One could pick up Windfire Cobra Commander ($13) plus the Pyramid in Peril adventure set ($5) and customize youself an 8-inch Serpentor figure pretty easy...
    [/quote]

What's the point of this? You do realize that those of us who post in this forum have bought the toys, frequently a great many of them.

And do you normally go about cataloging the packaging minutiae of your toys? This is fairly typical of most modern toys of the Sigma size or larger.

And it makes little sense for you to judge the line and changes in it based on a couple of figures, nor for using sale prices for value comparisons. The Commandos still have a MSRP of $15, and the AT for $20.

WF CC has fewer things included, but, overall, the value is on par with other Commandos (which themselves have a range). The chariot is a damned hefty piece of equipment. If you looked at the line overall, you'd note that Sigma figs generally get either 1) one big but complex accessory and a few small ones, or 2) a lot of smaller, simpler accessories. WFCC goes in the former category, while Flint, Commando SE and Dark Ninja Master go in the latter. It is simply not a figure that could have been done at a Soldier price. ****, the 3.75 figures cost $6 on their own, and the 8" figures cost well over twice as much to produce.

As for the weapon's case, these are standard with every figure and cost Hasbro very little to make because they are produced from one mold, and in far greater bulk than the figures themselves. Even if there is relatively little to include in the case (though there is the helmet, lighting bold and 3 discs in addition to the staff), it is more cost effective to keep it than to redesign the box for one figure.

I think the point is to show how his opinions have changed since the first post that originally began this thread. I find reviews to be a good thing as they keep me from buying things (or at least inform me of things that might also annoy me). The real question is, what's the point of making fun of him for "nitpicking minutiae" when that's the purpose of a review, and things like his reviews fall into the purpose of a board like this?
    Sam

I think the point is to show how his opinions have changed since the first post that originally began this thread. I find reviews to be a good thing as they keep me from buying things (or at least inform me of things that might also annoy me). The real question is, what's the point of making fun of him for "nitpicking minutiae" when that's the purpose of a review, and things like his reviews fall into the purpose of a board like this?
    Sam
    Personally, I've learned to accept that others will hate what I like and like what I hate. I read a review like this and take what information I find useful.