Sigma 6 + $15 = Annoying Pile Of Garbage - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My original post was more of a complaint than anything else. I was just amazed at the sheer amount of packaging material that was used with the figure I had purchased. The second and third posts were pretty much a continuation & comparison to my original post to see if anything had changed over time.

For me, when stuff starts to cost over $15, I start to take close notice. After I opened up the original figure and seen what was the "toy & accessories" and how much "post-consumer waste" there was, I was ticked off. From what looked to be comparable figures packaged on cardboard backing (soldiers), I was paying almost $5 more, in my opinion, for Cobra Commander because of the packaging (i.e. GARBAGE). All 3 of my original posts contain a picture of this waste. Minus the filecard, everything in those pictures labeled "garbage" was chucked in the garbage can outside my place and the city hauled it to the dump. Package those 3 Cobra Commanders the same as the "soldiers" and I would guess that I would have ~$15 (3x$5) more in my pocket instead of the landfill.

Nowhere in anything I have typed have I said I hated or despised these figures. I completely agree with the posts that extol the virtues of these figures.

I can't speak for other places but around here sigma 6 figures sit on the shelves collecting dust. I would guess the reason is because they are over-priced as compared to similar toys.

And what is the reason that sigma 6 costs more?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frozen_nd
    My original post was more of a complaint than anything else. I was just amazed at the sheer amount of packaging material that was used with the figure I had purchased. The second and third posts were pretty much a continuation & comparison to my original post to see if anything had changed over time.

For me, when stuff starts to cost over $15, I start to take close notice. After I opened up the original figure and seen what was the "toy & accessories" and how much "post-consumer waste" there was, I was ticked off. From what looked to be comparable figures packaged on cardboard backing (soldiers), I was paying almost $5 more, in my opinion, for Cobra Commander because of the packaging (i.e. GARBAGE). All 3 of my original posts contain a picture of this waste. Minus the filecard, everything in those pictures labeled "garbage" was chucked in the garbage can outside my place and the city hauled it to the dump. Package those 3 Cobra Commanders the same as the "soldiers" and I would guess that I would have ~$15 (3x$5) more in my pocket instead of the landfill.

Nowhere in anything I have typed have I said I hated or despised these figures. I completely agree with the posts that extol the virtues of these figures.

I can't speak for other places but around here sigma 6 figures sit on the shelves collecting dust. I would guess the reason is because they are over-priced as compared to similar toys.

And what is the reason that sigma 6 costs more?
    Yep, $15 was/is too much...no doubt about it. At least some of the older $15 figures had some clothes and/or a larger animal. The combat squad figures, for example, do not contain anything that makes them worth more than than soldiers.
    Trade and Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48657
    My 3 3/4" Figure and Vehicle Price Guide: http://www.GIJoePriceGuide.com/

Good thread. Yes, I didn't buy a single 8" figure until a couple of weeks ago because I didn't like the new size or Anime influenced design at first, but most of all I didn't like that $15.00 retail price for a single figure. That sucks especially when you're a "buy one to keep in the package/buy one to open" kind of guy like me. However, once some of the figures started getting marked down on clearance I picked a few of them up and have really been pleased with them, but it is a PAIN to open up the figures! All those plastic bands, twist-ties, tape, foam pieces, cardboard. It takes FOREVER to get a figure ready to play with. No wonder this failed with the kids!

-p.s.- kinda off-topic, but I REALLY want a 3.75" 25A-Style Lt.Stone. That would be awesome.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well.....I've finally bought a few Sigma figures. ( Mainly cuz they were on sale.) I do agree that there is a lot of packaging waste... but at least in my area all of it is recyclable.. even the twist ties.
    The Call of Chaos
    It's a toll-free, long distance call from the warp.

Zinthos.

It's almost as if Hasbro was afraid that the figures would break free and cause chaos like Chip Hazard in the Small Soldiers movie. There are twist ties around parts that would not have shaken loose if the package was dropped from a 5 story building, so ridiculously snug is the vacuum molded tray. Worst of all is the one around the figures neck, as you have to COMPLETELY disassemble the packaging to get at it.
    And don't think that we're not paying extra for those fancy blinky lights! What are those for? What, are we moths that are only attracted to a product if there are little lights going on and off in them? (MOM! Jimmy's stuck in the bug-zapper again!)
    Granted, the packaging LOOKS cool, but it's not worth the extra dough (or work!).

I believe the Sigma 6 packaging is pretty typical, as I have opened hundreds of toys over the past 12 years...from Transformers to Barbies and from Jurassic Park to Polly Pocket. The light was supposed to attract your attention...I think it was a waste. The light was probably 5 cents but the batteries had to cost a decent amount.
    Trade and Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=48657
    My 3 3/4" Figure and Vehicle Price Guide: http://www.GIJoePriceGuide.com/

Talking SIgma six packaging gets annoying...............

I have 8 of the sigma six figures................

i must say the prices on ebay are extremely expensive............

but the lockers are kinda cool.............

I just purchased this GREENISH colored snake eyes which

has the title of "commando" and is pretty cool......

I also have FLint ...........but snake eyes is the coolest.......

Jerod