Have you Ever gotten an AFA item that graded high and you were really disappointed???

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Have you Ever gotten an AFA item that graded high and you were really disappointed???

Hey:
    I recently purchased an afa 85 destro's despoiler with all 85 subgrades and
    was put out by how horrible the condition was of the boxed item. I have a few afa85 or higher carded figures and have been extremely happy with an afa85 or better for carded items. My question is this: Does afa give more leniency on misb items over carded items? I mean this box for the despoiler in my mind wasn't anything higher than an afa70-75. Why would a beat up box grade so well? I paid good money for this and its to be honest disappointing when it feels it was not graded acurately. Any help would be apprecietad.

Thanks!!!!
    Jeremy
    He's the Master of Disguise-Zartan!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Was this the one I sold to tassistant? If so, it was a solid 85 and comparable to the other 85 I have. Can you post some pics? Occasionally, if the case gets damaged in shipping it can damage the vehicle. I had that happen on one occasion.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

Quote Originally Posted by zartanmaniac
    Hey:
    I recently purchased an afa 85 destro's despoiler with all 85 subgrades and
    was put out by how horrible the condition was of the boxed item. I have a few afa85 or higher carded figures and have been extremely happy with an afa85 or better for carded items. My question is this: Does afa give more leniency on misb items over carded items? I mean this box for the despoiler in my mind wasn't anything higher than an afa70-75. Why would a beat up box grade so well? I paid good money for this and its to be honest disappointing when it feels it was not graded acurately. Any help would be apprecietad.

Thanks!!!!
    Jeremy
    Exactly why I do not collect AFA stuff. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY over priced for something that is graded by a subjective (and apparently inconsistent) manner. Congrats to those of you with the deep pockets who can afford these things! You have my envy. However, I'm just a collector and not an investor, so I guess I get to dodge this bullet.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

this is why i laugh at people who spend more money for "other" people to grade their stuff essentially AFA is saying were idiots and don't know how to grade our own items

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch II
    this is why i laugh at people who spend more money for "other" people to grade their stuff essentially AFA is saying were idiots and don't know how to grade our own items
    That is exactly what i think also, everyone's opinion on what the condition a carded figure or boxed vehicle is in will not be the same. Also AFA graded is just a way for sellers to ask higher prices, and it also makes some buyers feel that they have a better item because the guy's at AFA say so.
    IRON GRENADIERS- Just your friendly Neighborhood Arms Dealers!

Let's not go down this road again and some thoughts

Don't turn this thread into "AFA collectors are idiots". This is a legit question that has been surfacing more and more for me lately. I'm starting to get enough AFA pieces that have similar grades if not the same grades and the overall appearence of the piece varies fairly wildly in my experience. I've been collecting toys and even grading toys for over 15 years as a comic shop employee and now owner, and I'm surprised at what's been showing up at my house. It's a catch 22 because we're paying for an imperfect science I suppose. It seems like in the last year more and more of the cardback grades are higher while the cards look considerably worse off than stuff I have that was graded longer ago. I'm not familiar with AFA's graders, but perhaps they've hired new graders whose "opinions" on the condition vary than the original graders. I plan on actually catching up with AFA this summer at a con or two and am going to show them pieces that received the same grades with obvious differences. I don't know if they'll care, or simply tell me to resubmit (which I won't do unless it's on their dime). Ultimately I'm not even looking to resell so I don't suppose it even really matters in the cosmic scheme of things. I would like to see more consistency, but honestly have no idea how to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by RRL75
    Don't turn this thread into "AFA collectors are idiots". This is a legit question that has been surfacing more and more for me lately. I'm starting to get enough AFA pieces that have similar grades if not the same grades and the overall appearence of the piece varies fairly wildly in my experience. I've been collecting toys and even grading toys for over 15 years as a comic shop employee and now owner, and I'm surprised at what's been showing up at my house. It's a catch 22 because we're paying for an imperfect science I suppose. It seems like in the last year more and more of the cardback grades are higher while the cards look considerably worse off than stuff I have that was graded longer ago. I'm not familiar with AFA's graders, but perhaps they've hired new graders whose "opinions" on the condition vary than the original graders. I plan on actually catching up with AFA this summer at a con or two and am going to show them pieces that received the same grades with obvious differences. I don't know if they'll care, or simply tell me to resubmit (which I won't do unless it's on their dime). Ultimately I'm not even looking to resell so I don't suppose it even really matters in the cosmic scheme of things. I would like to see more consistency, but honestly have no idea how to achieve that.
    you just validated what i was saying people spend alot of money on something someone else said was such and such condition when it doesn't even compare to the same item in the same grade,what can i say AFA thinks it can say whatever it wants,and people believe them because they do not have the brains to grade the item themselves(or according to AFA anyway),people wake up your collectors and you know what condition a card should be in so why do you pay someone else to give their opinion?heck if you want send the item to me and for just the cost of shipping and a few bucks(alot less then AFA)i'll put it in a plastic container(which the acid from the plastic will ruin the card)and i'll give ya a grade for your item.

Why does it always go this way Clutch?

Look, if you don't like AFA or think their service is meaningless then stay out of the damn discussion. Someone who bought an AFA item asked a question about the item and hopefully people who have AFA experience will give some feedback whether it's helpful on not. How come everytime someone brings this up people like yourselves have to get on your "Anti AFA soapbox" and spew the same diatribe over and over. We get it. You don't like AFA. Well I'm assuming you don't buy AFA graded items so sit back and shut up about it. It doesn't affect your participation in the hobby. Don't look down your nose at those who find value or perceived value in the service. I happen to like the UV cases. I happen to like the uniform look. I happen to like the idea that if I need or want to sell one then a buyer on the other side of the country has a reasonable idea of what I'm selling them. If you don't like it and you obviously don't just shut up about it and post on the threads that involve your various aspects of the hobby.

Truthiness

Hey, where's Taichiro? This is a softball for him.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

I'm an opener - about as far as an AFA collector as you can get.

This thread was based on a legitimate concern about conditions, which play a bigger part for non-openers, & bigger yet for AFA or other slabbed collectors. I'm interested in slabbed toys, but not interested in collecting them, so I read this type of thread/post. This seems kind of similar to the bad traders section. Anyone is free to, & actually encourged to read them, but if all you're going to do is run down something you have little if any experience in, & actually probably very little interest in, why bad mouth it?

There a many different types of Joe collectors, & this is really a minor differance. People need to be more tolerant of other perspectives. I wouldn't consider paying what some graded prices are, but most people I know wouldn't pay $100+ for a GI Joe guy, & I've spent more than that on several occasions.

It's great that so many differant collectors can all gather here, but if the only thing you have to contribute to a thread is derogatory, think twice before you click on "Submit Reply".
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.