2-Up Prototype Question

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2-Up Prototype Question

Once in a blue moon, a 2-up prototype pops up for auction. Here's one that was just posted...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-2-UP-PROT...QQcmdZViewItem

(I can't imagine anyone would be upset that I'm "outing" this)

I was just wondering, are these figures fully functional? As in, do they have o-ring construction and all the articulation of their little brothers?

I have no plans to ever obtain one of these. Just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ah, man. Why did you out that? I was hoping nobody would see it -- just kidding.

I don't know anything about 2-ups but it looks cool. I think 10K is about 3 or 4 times what it's worth though.
    Specializing in the illest shiznata for more than 5 years:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Guts-the-Bers...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

I only own one 2-up (non GI Joe) but have seen several others. They generally are pretty exact copies in larger size. They may not have all the action features if there are any (like spring launching stuff) but are generally articulated in the same way.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wish Hasbro would sell 2 ups. I always liked ToyBiz 10'' super heroes.

I just saw this auction this morning and it's pretty interesting - despite the fact that the seller is a touch out of whack on his pricing.

I own one Joe 2 Up and have seen several others and they're all constructed much differently than this one on ebay:

http://lortaphanble.phpwebhosting.co...e/DoJoComp.jpg

I'm a little skeptical about this one but there are however a number of reasons for this to be different. All of the 2 Ups i have or have seen are all from later releases so the way they created 2 Ups may have changed over the years. Also, many sculpters did things differenty from each other which could account for this.

The fact that this is a 2 Up from one of the very first figures leads me to believe that they wanted to make these as accurate as possible, for a variety of reasons (engineering, presentation, marketing, etc) and that's why this one looks so bang on compared to the other later ones.

To answer the original poster's question, no 2 Ups are not fully functional nor are they constructed like their 1:1 counterparts, although this particular one looks to be close - just another example of how different it is from later 2 Ups.

2 Ups are generally made in the same fashion - a silicon mold or molds are made from the original wax sculpt (or various parts sculpts). Resin is poured into the mold cavity and casts are made which are then refined and painted for whatever purpose the 2 Up would be serving. It's possible that, depending on how exactly this piece is constructed, an early 2 Up like this, that looks so close to production could have been placed in a pantograph machine, traced and reduced for the creation of the steel molds. It's really a tough call as so little is known about the actual Joe prototyping process, espeically when compared to the vintage SW line.

I've emailed the seller and asked a few questions and for some additional pics. Hopefully he'll reply.
    Your Toys...Our Tattoos
    http://www.tattoosandtoys.com

Thats pretty cool. Thats the type of photos we need to see more of in the archives
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thunt4
    Thats pretty cool. Thats the type of photos we need to see more of in the archives
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06
    I couldn't agree more.
    People who have these kinds of things need to donate pictures then.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

Quote Originally Posted by dockingbay97
    People who have these kinds of things need to donate pictures then.
    I agree with this statement, too.

Or maybe just take the pic from the auction? lol Who does the photos in the archives nowadays anyhow? There was a thread a while back that showed the jcpenneys 3 pack of soldiers and officers and that photo should definately be in the archives as well.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!