Are the dimensions on the Terror Drome meant to be taken literally?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the dimensions on the Terror Drome meant to be taken literally?

In other words, is the Terror Drome supposed to be this gigantic base (the way it is depicted in the cartoons, for example) or is it more like a temporary base of operations with the dimensions on the actual toy meant to basically reflect the size of how the thing would be in real life? I guess if it's real life dimensions then all the computers on the top level must be rain-proof, and its purpose would be more like a big anti-aircraft, communications and refueling center.

I guess you could ask the same question about the GIJoe Headquarters. In the comics as I recall its dimensions were the same as it was basically a pre-fabricated bunker that could be used as a temporary battlefield operations base, but in the cartoon it was this huge fortress thing in the desert.

I guess it's obvious the Flagg is intended to be a scaled-down version of an aircraft carrier with its dimensions not intended to be realistic.

Also, if it is real-life dimensions, then how is the Firebat supposed to dock? Its not VTOL, is it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Toys never have and never will be accurately depicted when you are talking about something the scale of a playset.

The Terrordrome is meant to be a fortress, with armor and firepower and an opening hanger on top. But you just can't replicate that in a toy meant to retail for $50. The exposed computer terminals are a compromise of being a toy, NO designer will put sensitive computers and personal next to a freakin' missile silo

The GI Joe headquarters was designed as a toy first, but obviously, roofs are impractical for a toy, so cartoon and comic artist took liberties to make it work for their needs.

Similar thing happened in G1 Transformers. Rodimus Prime, Galvatron and Ultra Magnus were all portrayed as similar heights (UM usually a little taller), but the toys were vastly different in scales, with Rodimus being insultingly shorter than his nemesis Galvatron.

But you do raise an important question: Where has all the imagination gone? Not directed at you, Rept, but it seems MANY fans don't use any imagination anymore, what Hasbro does is gold, or the need to use EVERY figure, or simply not accepting GI Joe as a toyline

Thumbs up toys

They are TOYS! Toys are intended to escape reality. I think we have forgoten that. During the last convention it came to me how adults collect toys intended for kids to play with. As a result I gave my 5 year old an allowance to buy whatever gijoe stuff he wanted, and I would not cringe when we played with them. Remember they are just TOYS!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GI Steevy
    Toys never have and never will be accurately depicted when you are talking about something the scale of a playset.

The GI Joe headquarters was designed as a toy first, but obviously, roofs are impractical for a toy, so cartoon and comic artist took liberties to make it work for their needs.

But you do raise an important question: Where has all the imagination gone? Not directed at you, Rept, but it seems MANY fans don't use any imagination anymore, what Hasbro does is gold, or the need to use EVERY figure, or simply not accepting GI Joe as a toyline
    Thats the crux of the matter. Toys are a tool to open the imagination. The HQ was smaller than I wanted it but it never mattered to me as a kid, because in my imagination it was HUGE. Also, the Tomahawk disappointed me a little cos the figs couldnt stand up in it. However, as Steevey says to make it full scale would be impractical.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

Quote Originally Posted by GI Steevy
    True, but when they try to semi-accurately represent something, it is always a big hit, ala Rattler, Skystriker. Sure it is not true 1/18th scale, but I have had a problem with Hasbro lately not making vehicle in scale with each other and figures. (ie Cobra Venom cycle, Battle Blitz, et al) They should work with each other seamlessly. Imagination is used for play, not trying to make junk playable. And for some reason my kids agree. They hate the new vehicles, but they can't put down the classic vehicles because they can put all of their immagining effort in playing and going on missions, instead of trying to make the toy likeable.

I would not say that. Hasbro seems to put the least amount of effort in what it produces, along with the cheapest route possible without any creativity. There are exceptions, but they are far and few between.
    "JOIN COBRA! Our Uniforms are COOLER!"

MY G.I. JOE STORE, CHECK IT OUT!

My Home/Trade Pages!

the joe HQ was also the pre-fab HQ- so it was a bit closer to scale, that HQ wasnt very large- remember they could drop it into location by chopper

but the drome for sure was scaled down a bit - it was closer to a real base
    i mean come on- we know cobra mtn in real life would be much more than the toy is... they can only do so much with the scale of these larger objects.

ive calculated the flagg out, and to be in 1/18 scale it would have to be 60 feet long. it just isnt happening in a toy.

figure - EVERY 100 Feet in real life is 18 feet in joe- we just cant do that
    need 88 TF dusty crotch

Wink

i've always assumed the t-drome was much larger.....but not a huge dome.....just "underground"
    Always wanted: Foreign figs, protos and test shots, and vs 1 BATs and parts.

I've always used the Terror Drome as the size it depects in the cartoon.

the same time a drew out my Flagg plans i also drew out Full scale cartoon terror drom plans. I cant remember the specs but it was HUGE. And do to its size most of the interior would have been hollow.

Hey Guys...

I was just wondering rather than start a new thread off you know the cobra bases and GI JOE bases.. do you ever wonder how they managed to store all those darn aircraft and vehicles?
    Take Joe HQ.. Inside the HQ not only have you got the actual characters.. but you have the vehicles as well. Okay the standard vehicles like the AWE Striker as such are easy enough to put in the motor pool but what about the much bigger vehicles?
    The Mobile Battle Bunker?.. The Havoc? The Raider.. all these cannot fit into the one Joe HQ surely?
    Then theres the General which in essence is a base itself. Mobile Command Center..
    Also does anyone remember the Mothership?.. Cobra had one in the toon didnt they? Or have I halucinated way too much and I am suffering the ill effects of spore use.
    NemesisEnforcerFan
    I sometimes.... can be awesome?