Too many Joes nowadays...

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Too many Joes nowadays...

Doesn't anyone agree that there are over 200 Joes, why not have some more killed off. There's plenty of goofy and useless ones that never appear in the comics anymore: Hardhat, Payload, Downtown, Back Blast, Spearhead, Scoop, Footloose, Keel Haul, Psych Out, Backstop, Taurus, Red Dog, Light Foot, Wild Card, Windmill, Dog Fight, Hot Seat, Long Range, Long Arm, Mace, Ambush, Capt. Gridiron, Freefall, Topside, Ozone, Clean Sweep, Major Altitude, Cross Country, Outback, Fast Draw, the list goes on and on and on. Most were just in the Marvel comic once and never appeared again, have something big come around and get rid of a few.

Who else would you want killed off?
    For me, I'd love to see the Fridge go out in a longdrawn out battle with Road Pig.

By the way, is there a list of everyone killed off?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i personally like to see more characters fall, but when you have a story that has acompaning(sp) action figures its best to let them live and let each individual decide for themselves who dies and who lives

None of them.

The problem with killing characters it two-fold. First off, no matter who you kill, you take out somebody's favorite. Even if it's a nobody like LongArm, there's somebody out there that loves the character.

The second problem is once you kill them, that's it. Sure you can get one good story out of their death, but that prevents any other god stories from ever being done with the character. A good writer can get tons of decent stories out of a character without killing them.

Personally, I have no problem with there being a ton of Joes. It's a big organization with a huge enemy. It needs the people.
    *insert something witty here*

it would be better to use those joes for special missions like the ones they are best trained for.i never understood why they send desert troopers for artic missions when there are so many other joes suited for that?

That fact is that many of those characters never appeared in any version of the comic or may have only been pictured. A few "minor characters" were killed in the last issues of DDP comics in they'e only appearance. The problem isn't "too many Joes," it's "not enough Joes used"
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

I don't see any reason to kill anybody off. I wouldn't mind if most of those Joes you mentioned were never seen again though. Some of them appeared in only one issue and will probably never pop up again. Have them retire or something.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have included Outback in that bunch. He was much more prominent than any of them.

From what I've seen on the Devil's Due boards, someone complains about anything and everything - regardless of what is done, how it's done, who's doing it, when it's done, or where it's done. It's the nature of the comic beast. There are always twenty-seven people chiming in with "great" ideas on how all the stories could be done better. I think it's a good thing that people post their opinions, because how else can Devil's Due get a "real-time" census of how fans think? Sales numbers don't tell you everything. Still, I've started to become more sympathetic to comic book writers as of late.

I happen to agree with the original post. We obviously have a major surplus of redundant characters. It's a fact that Larry Hama noted twenty years ago. I think it would be fun to kill them off individually (or en masse) with/in the course of good stories. True, it might get boring if the cameo Joes only appear to die, but I'd rather see them killed in the line of duty (again - in a good story) than "retire."

For the record I think it's silly to have original Joes like Flash die in an explosion when characters like Sci-Fi are roaming around minding their own business. Yes, I know that "it's a firefight and good people die in a real firefight." Yes, I know that it is more emotionally draining for fans to see their favorites die in lieu of non-favorites and this can make for more engaging stories. I would have still done differently. Yes, I am perfectly well aware that I am not a comic writer.

My $1.00 worth of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by danielmd06
    For the record I think it's silly to have original Joes like Flash die in an explosion when characters like Sci-Fi are roaming around minding their own business.
    To this day I'm still very ticked off about that.
    Last edited by Bleak5170; 04-04-2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: edited for language

I don't like killing off the characters. I think it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnok4life
    I don't like killing off the characters. I think it's stupid.
    The last few were stupid because they were meaningless deaths. The writers have to make them matter so that you care about those who die
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted