Gi Joe Religons - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gi Joe Religons

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    OK this may be some weird stuff to some of us
    It seems a class at the law enforcement votech here way back when i as in school ( early 90's?) was teaching the satanic elements in cartoons (why I cant fathom) but apparently GIJoe has satanic undertones? Discuss amongst yourselves
    What is a law enforcement votech? Vocational Technical School? Like an Academy or something? All I can say is whoever is teaching that needs to have their head examined. There is NOTHING satanic about GI Joe. In fact there is nothing satanic about most of the things these nuts talk about. Anyone remember the KISS = Knights In Satan's Service, or AC DC = After Christ Devil's Children bunch of nonsense? It's all nonsense from people who think there is a satan worshipper hiding under every rock.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Beach head was a reverend in the church of butt kicking..

Recap

Clutch - Jewish (Special Missions #2)
    Roadblock - Protestant (RAH #39)
    Snake Eyes / Storm Shadow / Jinx - Arashikage Clan
    Lifeline - Christian unspecified (cartoon), Zen Martial Art of Aikido
    Beachhead - Rev. of Chatteau de Buttkicking
    Destro - Pagan (cartoon)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You can pretty much assume that Barbecue is Irish Catholic. Boston AND a firefighter, come on.

Shockwave was/is active in choir.. I want to say Catholic as well.

You know I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Major serving in Iraq right now about GI Joe.

I asked him about all the Joes with beards and long hair... and if the military would allow it. He said if their personal religion required a certain hairstyle, then the military would allow it. This came about after talking about Spirit. He's a native American. So the military would allow him to keep his long hair in braids.

And Clutch and his beard.

He also mentioned if they were infiltrating certain sects and regions they would have to adapt and look like the indiginous people... that's why we have special forces in Afganistan with long beards, because they are amongst various tribes.

So I would say Spirit is definately religious, didn't his file card say he was a medicine man for his tribe?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dominic.18
    in the cartoon episode second hand emotions, lifelines father was a preist but i dont remember if they said what religion
    Ya I remember that as well.........at first he didn't get along with his father but at the end he did. Cobra had chipps put in some of the joes and serpentor was controling there emotions, untill G.I.Joe won as usual.

Tom.......
    Check out my YouTube channel = zartan

Quote Originally Posted by Janson
    Lifeline - Christian unspecified (cartoon), Zen Martial Art of Aikido
    Destro - Pagan (cartoon)
    Theres a few things I diagree with in herer:
    SE/SS/Jinx- being a ninja isnt about religion. They may practice some form of Eastern philosophy, such as Buddhism or Taoism. Also, with SE being an American I suspect hed have some semitic background prior to his training.
    Destro- while it may have been in the cartoon, a member of the Scottish Nobility would be a Protestant (or rarely a Catholic). He may have renounced his faith, but I cant see it.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

Talking RE: Bigtattoo

Originally Posted by Janson
    Lifeline - Christian unspecified (Season 2 Ep. 25 Second Hand Emotions), Zen Martial Art of Aikido (SM #3)
    Destro - Pagan (Season 1 Ep. 53: Skeletons in the Closet)
    Spirit - Shaman (filecard)

The above is just a starting point. It does not mean it is their true religons but its a reference to what has been in the GI Joe cannon. I don't know if Destro is a Pagan he never says it but it is referenced in a cartoon.

As far as the Arashikage Clan members, it may not be their religon but it is spiritual aspect of them.

I want to stay away from how people feel so and so's Religon should be bc then the discussion might get heated and locked out. So even though Barbeque is a Red headed Firefighter from Boston I won't post that he is Catholic till we find a reference to it. Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by Janson; 04-29-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Don't forget about Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerofall
    You know I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Major serving in Iraq right now about GI Joe.

I asked him about all the Joes with beards and long hair... and if the military would allow it. He said if their personal religion required a certain hairstyle, then the military would allow it. This came about after talking about Spirit. He's a native American. So the military would allow him to keep his long hair in braids.

And Clutch and his beard.

He also mentioned if they were infiltrating certain sects and regions they would have to adapt and look like the indiginous people... that's why we have special forces in Afganistan with long beards, because they are amongst various tribes.

So I would say Spirit is definately religious, didn't his file card say he was a medicine man for his tribe?
    I'm sure most of you already know this, but for those that don't here's a little information to follow up on this post. I believe Larry Hama loosely based GI Joe on the real live Delta Force. Delta Force is the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta. Or also known as 1st SFOD-D (A). The Pentagon calls them the Combat Applications Group.

Delta Force soldiers are hand picked from The Army Rangers and Green Berets. They are called "operators" and are granted an enormous amount of flexibility and autonomy. They reportedly do not maintain any general uniformed presence and civilian clothing is the norm on or off duty while at Ft. Bragg. This is done to conceal the identities of these "secret soldiers". Uniforms are rarely worn, if at all, with any markings, names, or branch names on them. Hair styles and facial hair are allowed to grow to civilian standards in order for the force to be able to blend in and not be immediately recognized as military personnel.

This special status that sets this force apart from the "regular army" is depicted quite accurately in the movie Black Hawk Down. The Army Rangers in the film, elite by their own right, have the standard "high and tight" haircuts, yet the Delta operators are seen to be sporting much longer styles with side burns, unshaven faces, and non-military issue helmets (black helmets) and boots.

According to Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War, Delta Force members are typically referred to by other personnel as "D-Boys," "Operators," or simply "Delta." The book also mentions that they hold little regard for rank within their force and refer to one another only by nicknames. Throughout the book Delta soldiers are recorded as expressing contempt for other, more regular US Army units, dismissing their training and combat performance. The Rangers on the other hand are throughout recorded as being in awe of the Delta soldiers, who were almost invariably older and with much greater skill and experience.

Delta's unconventional nature also allows its operators to carry highly customized weapons. Although their standard weapon of choice may be the M4 carbine, it is not unusual to find them carrying foreign weapon systems that are often used by the enemy in the Area of Operation (AO). This is to either help them "blend in" with the locals or to use the ammunition from slain enemy fighters. Additionally, in his book "Killing Pablo," Mark Bowden insinuates that a Delta Force sniper may have assassinated Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.

Thus if GI Joe was a real combat unit, they would likely not all have the cookie cutter soldier appearance.