Snake eyes origin - Page 2

yojoe.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Xerofall...

Look at the pics CGC posted. What 18 girl dresses like that and sits in the front seat with Mommy and Daddy. That girl looks way to young to be 18 or engaged to George Strawhacker.

And yes the car accident w/ cobra commander and baby billy occured on the way to the airport to pick-up SE the day he returned home from Nam. Instead, of his family greeting him it was Hawk who delivered the tragic news.
    Last edited by Janson; 04-27-2006 at 10:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those images were from SE's mind. He imagined them in his head when Hawk told him the news. Who's to say they're 100 % accurate?

Sometimes we picture things differently when confronted with horrible news. Perhaps his mental image of his sister was of times when they were that age. Perhaps that's how he remembers her best.

On a technical note, it might've been visually uninteresting to have the sister sitting in the back seat, so for the sake of the art she had a front row seat to her demise.

I dunno, it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerofall
    Those images were from SE's mind. He imagined them in his head when Hawk told him the news. Who's to say they're 100 % accurate?

Sometimes we picture things differently when confronted with horrible news. Perhaps his mental image of his sister was of times when they were that age. Perhaps that's how he remembers her best.

On a technical note, it might've been visually uninteresting to have the sister sitting in the back seat, so for the sake of the art she had a front row seat to her demise.

I dunno, it's just my opinion.
    Sounds good to me. It's also possible he didn't see her for a period of time before he left for Vietnam, and if she looks young for her age, that could explain it. When I started seeing my girlfriend people would look at me funny sometimes and I would realise how she was dressed made her look 14 (she was 19 at the time).

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No, your right Xerofall.

I agree that those images are just from his mind so he can picture his sister at any age you are correct. Your also prolly right about having everyone sit in the front so that they would less likely survive the crash making the accident more believable ( or prolly just too hard to draw a person in the backseat in perspective with that angle).

I just can't remember, maybe it was like issue 56 right before cobra commander gets replaced by fred 7 that we see the accident for real.

I just feel that something is missing in the origin. Hopefully GI Joe declassified will be a big success and Hama will be asked to do a true SE declassified. I can't accept any other writer as cannon since Hama created all these guys he would be the only one who can really tell their origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Janson
    I agree that those images are just from his mind so he can picture his sister at any age you are correct. Your also prolly right about having everyone sit in the front so that they would less likely survive the crash making the accident more believable ( or prolly just too hard to draw a person in the backseat in perspective with that angle).

I just can't remember, maybe it was like issue 56 right before cobra commander gets replaced by fred 7 that we see the accident for real.

I just feel that something is missing in the origin. Hopefully GI Joe declassified will be a big success and Hama will be asked to do a true SE declassified. I can't accept any other writer as cannon since Hama created all these guys he would be the only one who can really tell their origins.
    Do you feel this way about all comics and writers? Everything done at Marvel since Stan Lee isn't canon?

Hey Nero

re:
    Do you feel this way about all comics and writers? Everything done at Marvel since Stan Lee isn't canon?

First of all Stan Lee co-created Marvel with Kirby, Ditko, Thomas etc... I love Stan but he did not create it by himself.

GI Joe might be closer to Star Wars than Marvel or DC for me. If Lucas kills Obi-Wan in A New Hope its cool he is freaking George Lucas. But if some novel writer kills Chewbacca off 30 years later by having a planet fall on him am I supposed to accept that as cannon?

Also Marvel / DC can correct mistakes of previous writers if need be, Aunt May died and sure enough was brought back to life. When Flash dies in GI Joe he isnt coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Janson
    Also Marvel / DC can correct mistakes of previous writers if need be, Aunt May died and sure enough was brought back to life. When Flash dies in GI Joe he isnt coming back.
    Sure he's not. There's absolutley no way to bring him back, just like the SAW Viper, Serpentor, Dr. mindbender, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Firefly, Joe Colton, and Scarlett couldn't have been brought back after their "fatal" encounters.
    *insert something witty here*

hmmm

granted but half these guys did not die by the way

re:
    Sure he's not. There's absolutley no way to bring him back, just like the SAW Viper, Serpentor, Dr. mindbender, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Firefly, Joe Colton, and Scarlett couldn't have been brought back after their "fatal" encounters.

its just my opinion. if you want serpentors maximum clonage saga to be canon more power to you.

Hi there,
    I may not have read many of the comics (mostly whatever was reprinted on this side of the Atlantic, and only up to some time around 1986 or 1987), but, with regard to 'granted but half these guys did not die by the way', might I respectively suggest that, at the time, the intent may have been for some of these characters to die, especially if they didn't have toys available at the time. I will admit that, given the short space of time between Storm Shadow's 'death' and his reawakening after the Serpentor creation process, it was most likely the intent that the character never died, but surely, for example, there was no great plan to bring back the real Cobra Commander all those many years after the fake one took over?

Death rebuttle

most of these guys never truly had fatal encounters:

SAW Viper became a cyborg, he is still half dead
    Serpentor, was like some genetic zombie was he ever really alive?
    Dr. mindbender, got locked in a frieghter.
    Snake Eyes, he is a ninja so he can't die.
    Storm Shadow, see above.
    Cobra Commander, he should be dead but I love the way he was brought back
    Firefly, see Dr. Mindbender
    Joe Colton, I didn't know he died
    Scarlett, was in a coma.

I dunno I really tried to get into the new series gave it a year and it never hooked me. Blaylock seemed desperate to get interest in the title by how many deaths he had in such a short run on the title. He has yet to impress me as a writer.
    Last edited by Janson; 04-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.