Wax Sculpts

yojoe.com

Thread: Wax Sculpts

Wax Sculpts

I'm curious to know if anyone has info on the wax sculpts used for vintage or modern 3 3/4" Joe figures? I've seen pictures of wax sculpts for figures that have much less articulation and they show how the body is divided up into parts for mold making. Considering how many parts are on a Joe figure, plus the fact that their body construction is different than most characters from other toy lines, I'm thinking that the process of working with the wax sculpt is handled differently as well. I checked the prototype section of Yo Joe but couldn't find any info on wax sculpts, only painted and unpainted prototypes.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I only know of one complete wax in a collector's hands, but that doesn't mean there aren't more out there. I have seen a couple resin prototypes with parts on them that had details added or cleaned up with additional wax, one I have and one a friend has.

On the vehicle side, i have seen several styrene models for vehicles, which is a rough equivalent to a sculpt for a vehicle.
    Last edited by KrymsynGardImmoral; 06-26-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

It's not so different. The sculptors used sculpting bucks to build the wax on and the design dept built special bucks for the hands and shoulders to ensure the sculpts met the uniform standards of the line. Everything else was sculpted in the same manner as a typcial wax sculpt, just with a few more parts.
    Your Toys...Our Tattoos
    http://www.tattoosandtoys.com

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the info fellas. Hopefully someone can eventually post a few pics.