Sticker removal

yojoe.com

Thread: Sticker removal

Sticker removal

I figured this would be worth posting in a new topic.

As far as taking stickers off of vehicles (especially the Defaitnt) is concerned, I've used goo gone (that citris stuff) in the past and it takes an incredible amount of that stuff and an incredible amount of elbow grease to get that residue off. Any suggestions on what might be faster? Way back in the day I used thoro, but they don't make that anymore (causes cancer or something). I'm especially concerned about discoloring the white on the defiant and booster.

Thanks,
    Jared

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Goo gone was the way to go with me. It usually makes stuff come off very easily. It might be your technique for taking the stickers off with it. I always apply a good amount to the sticker and let it sit for a couple minutes. Once it is soaked in, the stuff should come off with ease. You will need to scrub the vehicle with soap and water afterwards to get all the extra Goo gone off but that is it.

What about lighter fluid?
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I always use olive oil or vegetable oil. I remove the stickers by pulling them off. Then I rub the oil over the sticker goo after a few mins it should come right off. I then clean it with warm soap and water. Then just rinse and dry.

I used to use paint thinner and never had problems until one bad experience on an X-19 where is caused discoloring. I switch to Goo Gone and have never used anything else. I use cheap (no-name) cotton swabs (non-Q-tips) because they have less cotton than brand name Q-Tips are firmer for scrubing. I soak one cotton swab end and then rub it on the sticker residue area. Let is soak in. Wet the swab again and rub the area again. this time harder. The residue should be rubbing off my now. I then flip the swab, wet it again with Goo Gone and rub again, getting all the residue off. Then I soak all vehicle parts in really warm dish soapy water and then scrub all the pieces with a WHITE rag. Don't use colored rags as I've found on a few occassions that if you rub plastic, especially white plastic, it can pick up the color of the rag you're scrubbing with.

After everything is clean, rinse it in clean water and let drip dry or towel dry with another WHITE rag.

This process works great for me and I've done it to nearly all my 50+ vehicles.

Good luck
    "Get a life will you people! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You there, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner

Along the ame lines, what is best to use to glue stickers back on if they loose thier sticky and fall off.

I just finished up my Moray this afternoon. The problem I run into is the crusty dried adhesive that forms around the edges of the decals. That crap just don't want to come off! After I got most of the residue off with the goo-gone I rinsed and then soaked the Moray in hot water. Then, I used my fingernail to scrape off that crap. I still didn't get all of it. FLOPHOUSE: does your techinque work on that crusty stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jaimanstone
    I just finished up my Moray this afternoon. The problem I run into is the crusty dried adhesive that forms around the edges of the decals. That crap just don't want to come off! After I got most of the residue off with the goo-gone I rinsed and then soaked the Moray in hot water. Then, I used my fingernail to scrape off that crap. I still didn't get all of it. FLOPHOUSE: does your techinque work on that crusty stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Jared
    Yes it does but it may take a little effort. The ring of crusty residue is common and is the hardest to remove. Sometimes is takes several applications of Goo Gone and scrubbing but in the end there's never been any residue that didn't come off.
    "Get a life will you people! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You there, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner

Thanks flophouse, I'll give it a shot. I'll be starting on my Defiant as soon as it arrives. Do you think there any danger of the white on the defiant picking up the orange color of the goo-gone?

Jared